1 Down, 3 to go

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by head2toe camo, Oct 5, 2019.

1. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opening day, 8 AM. cold front yesterday and low temps last night (45 degrees) in PA means a lot of deer were moving this morning. I bumped 2 or 3 on my way to stand, so I stood still for 5 min and grunted occasionally while a doe blew at me. got on stand late and saw a group of 5 at first light. Out of range.

7:15 lone doe wary and looking around, feeding. maybe one from the group i broke up? also out of range. fawn bleat, no luck.

7:45 a spike buck sneaks in and almost busts me. he zig zags around, feeding and acting strange. i’ve seen yearling does hanging out with spikes on camera, so i got ready. sure enough 2 twin yearlings follow 10 yds from my stand. 2nd one gave me a better shot at 15 yds and i connected. she crashed within view. the twin hung around but didn’t give me a shot before busting me while nocking a 2nd arrow.

Shot was true, quartering away single lung and i think an artery as well as esophagus. quartered and in the refrigerator by 2pm, since temps climbed to 62 degrees.

i’ve never killed more than 1 deer in a season in 9 years, so hopefully i achieve my goal this year with this good start and 4 tags.

Attached Files:

JGD and arrowflinger1 like this.
  2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Job!

3. Bange23

Bange23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll cut up the back straps and vacuum seal/ freeze tomorrow or Tuesday. Grill one up of course!

I’ll debone the quarters mid-week and take to the butcher for bologna, burger and snack sticks for the kids. Back in the woods next wknd!

Attached Files: