1/4 Acre Food Plot Recommendations? - FALL 2012

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by nealmccullough, Jun 18, 2012.

1. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys -

I am looking at planting a small kill plot this year, but haven't really done anything other than small clover plots... But wanted to maybe stretch a bit this year and try something different.

So I was looking at the following (our new sponsor this year):

http://heartlandwildlifeinstitute.n...category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=15

Secret Weapon

Secret Weapon is a blend of winter peas and forage soybeans combined with a blend of brassicas. The brassicas include turnips, forage rape, and hybrid forage turnips. This blend will provide a unique late season and early winter food plot ideal for those small plots that are are the right size for a "Secret Weapon" in your best hunting locations.

What do you guys think? This seems like something worth while to give a try, but let me know.

Thanks,
    Neal

2. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is some options for you I would stick to the Brassica option due to the small plot. this comes from the Outreach Outdoors forums. I use this rotation of option and it works well for the Midwest. Just buy your seed local farm seed stores saves lots of money.
    These numbers are for 1 acre.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, KopuII, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, in odd areas, corners or simply divide the plot with clover strips. Soil test for best results but 400#'s of 6-24-24 and 400#'s of pel lime will get most soils into shape. Plant 6-10#'s per acre

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
    Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
    GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, use 400#'s 6-24-24 and 200#'s urea for best yields. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring.

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
    Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
    Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
    Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
    Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September add 100-200#'s of urea if heavy grazing is expected.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have high deer densities I'd imagine the deer will pound the soybeans and peas as soon as they germinate and your end result will be 1/4 acre plot of rape and turnips. Not a terrible situation just know that the early season draw will be short lived, seems like a real good idea on a larger plot.

4. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys... The neighbor has offered to help! We are also looking into Radishes! Anyone every tried those?

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I planted some Daikon Radishes last year for the first time. Unlike turnips they ate the tops as soon as they came up, then dug up the tubers late season. I'll be planting more this fall.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    exactly what we're planting too in some spots.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I planted one plot with radishes last year and they ate the green tops, but hardly touched the tubers. Unlike the turnips, which they smashed. It seemed like the radishes rotted pretty easy in the fall after it froze and warmed back up. Again, unlike the turnips.

I don't plan on planting them again.

8. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

With the winter we had last year mine hardly ever froze. Hell I had some green back up in spring and start growing again.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    They froze, thawed, froze and thawed. They were rotting to the point that the plot stunk.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It's true what Dan says, they will rot somewhat faster, but if your deer are not digging them up it very well could be because they're not used to them. Rack up quite a few through out the plot and teach them. If brassicas aren't common in your area the deer may not discover them...this trick has worked for many a guy.

Still though they may not hit them hard and you've learned a valuable lesson about your deer herd...no longer plant many of them, however I'll always keep atleast a strip of them somewhere so if they ever do turn on to them I'll know and be ready the following year.

Just my .02

11. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info Dan. I will pass on them.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your neck of the woods is like mine this drought is raping the ground horribly. I fear that by the time fall reaches us the soils won't support new growth of a lot of things. I planted buckwheat for two reasons. 1. I wanted something easy to grow and the deer n turkeys love. 2. The drought won't affect it much. Oh yeah I have three reasons, 3. I wanted something that won't break the bank. Note buck wheat isn't a late season plot, but you shouldn't have to hunt late season after you kill your deer early out of the buckwheat right? Get r done. That was stupid I apologize.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried Beets? I'm going add them to my brassica mix this year. I have half a bag of Evolved Harvest Mega Plot which I used last year, and plan on adding some Purple Top Turnips and some Dark Dakota Red Beets to the mix. I am also going to over seed my Soybeans near my stands w. the Beets. The deer just completely wiped out the beets in our garden, so I figured I'd give them a shot in the plot. Can't really beat the price either. $5.89 a pound, which should go a long way.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I've avoided beets for the same reason I've opted to avoid soybeans. They need a big field, luxury I don't have...deer will decimate small plots of either. Also Beets are tougher to get growing, but if you have the space and the time they're gold.

15. ICALL2MUCH

ICALL2MUCH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Straight from Paul's post. lol

16. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I planted that secret weapon in a 1/4 acre space in the corner of a 3-4 acre corn field. As seen on the Bowhunt or Die Season 3 Episode 5.

17. nathanw

nathanw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I will be planting my frist food plot this year has anyone ever tired oats. I was talking to a man just today and he told me oats bring in deer better than anyother thing besides corn.