Under Armour vs Scent-Lok

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ANM21, Aug 27, 2012.

1. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who owns Scentlok now? I know they were sold recently. Any idea?

I have used SL for years. I bought a good bit of UA this year since they are the only ones carrying MO Treestand camo. I like it as well.

2. MathewsArchery10

MathewsArchery10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First off I have hunted every corner of the country and have tested this truth. Not just the south,
    That was what's called an example... Look it up "definition of an example" Secondly... I'm sorry that just because it's my first post that my experience level must be low... Ahaha lame. Your missing the point... Yes the layering system will keep you warm! I do not deny that it works in that aspect! Under Armour gives you in one or two pieces of clothing the same warmth 5 layers would take with your layering system! Here is another point, yes it's expensive as hell, but let's say you go out and buy a cheap trail cam... It last about two seasons then dies, you buy another cheap one which last you maybe another year or so. In the grand scheme of things you just paid for two cheap cams that lasted you a fraction of what one high quality "also expensive" cam would. I went through 6 wildgame innovation and tasco cams before I broke down and bought 3 Moultrie cams 4 years ago... Guess what they still work like the day I bought them. Did I spend more money at once? Yes! Did I get my money's worth and some? You better believe it. All these guys spend hundreds on cheap layers year after year when my ayton bib by UA has lasted me 5 years and is still in perfect condition and keeps me warmer than any 4 layers ever could. Not only that the products are tough and last long! Same with Scent Lok! So end result get cheap products you will get cheap results. Pay for a good product get a good result! My dad went through three cheap hunting jackets before I got him a ayton bib and ayton coat from UA! They are still going strong three years later and he has not sunk another dime into hunting apparel

3. MathewsArchery10

MathewsArchery10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just giving the guy info. And btw I found this post by browsing the Internet for a UA jacket. Found this post... Don't you think someone else out there might have this same question and find this helpful? Yes, that's what forums are for! Your welcome

4. MathewsArchery10

MathewsArchery10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might not be inexperienced but certainly can't read well. There is a huge difference between a base and coat and 3-5 layers. I hunted up North as well and the same holds true. Under armour gives you the same warmth from 1 layer that would take you three or four to get. Have fun being the worlds best doe hunter

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey sport, welcome to the site. You aren't doing yourself any favors acting like that on this site, or on the Internet for that matter. I think we can all agree that no one here is recommending you layer before walking into the stand as to cause sweating and then cooling off resulting in wet body and wet clothes (but I wouldn't know about that since I'm an inexperienced hunter). Layering is an effective method and you can take off or add on as needed. Layering also gives the hunter the ability to wear different types of material for different climates. I think both UA and SL make great gear and because I am not paid to advertise I pick and choose clothes based on comfort, material, compactness, pockets, hood removal, etc., etc.,. I have plenty of mismatched hunting clothes across a number of brands. I'm a budget guy too so I'm not afraid to buy something less expensive if it fits the purpose.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think both are great companies that make some top notch gear, thats for sure....but I def do favor Scent Lok products. Who is this clown?!?! Disgusting attitude for this site...you might have to put your ego in check bud and realize this might not be the place for you if this is how you act coming in. We all have our own rights to our feelings and opinions, but express yourself with some class.

7. zatoan

zatoan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As for the fit or quality of the garments, I can't really say. It's been about 4 or 5 years since I used Scent-Lok, but in my experience the clothing was very nice at that time. I work the Full Season suit for two years and really liked it. From what I've seen at the trade shows this year, their stuff has only gotten better.

Now those that wear UA will swear by it, and you can certainly see why. It feels great, fits well, and looks "cool". Although I'm not sure that the deer care how cool you look when you're killing them, looking cool certain boosts confidence which sometimes is a difference-maker.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one, provided you purchase the right garments for your hunting conditions.

8. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    both are overpriced, but not as overpriced as sitka

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are a condescending online big tough guy huh? You obviously don't know a dang thing about me or how/what I hunt...as I don't know you, which is why I would never make assumptions or a 2-year old comments about your hunting prowess or what you must harvest.

While you are telling everyone to look up definitions how about you look up the term layers...meaning more than one. So yes, you're personal example is layering up. I am a two layer guy myself a lot of time, but when the temps turn extra cold I do add a middle layer and have never had sweat issues at all. I'm not here to have an online hunting manhood measuring contest with you and nor is anyone else here. You stick around on the site you'll learn this site respects knowledge no matter whether you're a forum veteran or a brand new just joined person...however that knowledge no matter how great it is will never be effective or respected if you condescend, belittle or approach things disrespectfully.

Good luck this year and hopefully learning how to behave here, because as much as our first interaction has been I do sense you have knowledge worth sharing.

10. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds more like someone trying to justify spending close to $500 for hunting clothes

11. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree uder armour is so expensive you can stay just as warm layering with Walmart or academy has a little more selection but remember if you are layering not all of your clothes have to be "hunting" clothes simple cheap pullovers will work just fine

12. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Crap!
    Guys from both sides of the perspective are really doing this site wrong! This is what causes conflict, both sides choose to degrade one another and others jump on the wagon and contribute to the cause! This site is not that way,at least it wasn't 3 & 4 years ago,finding more & more of it in the last few years. That is why I chose to come here in the 1st place, to get good advice & give it from reputable hunters. Let's get back to the ways this forum was started!
    Rocky

13. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can see points from all sides of this issue. I personally don't like having a "coat" on, but I don't mind bibs. I agree that you get what you pay for, but I also think that ScentLock and Under Armor are both ridiculously expensive. Multiple layers will keep you just as warm as the UA stuff and vise versa, but layers are easier to "fine tune" your body climate. I personally wear 1-2 layers for early season (jeans and a long shirt w/ light boots and maybe a sweatshirt if it's a little extra chilly) and anywhere from 3-6 layers when it gets really cold. I go as light as possible to the stand to avoid sweating, but have more clothing in my pack in case I need it. Just my $.02. But I will admit, I'm not the most experienced hunter on here.

14. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent Lok all the way, without a doubt. (unless you're getting major discounts on UA Gear) Scent Lok is reasonably priced and a great company all around. Also love that they're based in Michigan! :rock:

15. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I got some good deals shopping around. I ended up getting a military discount directly through Scent-Lok and bought pants and a jacket then found the UA cold weather compression pants and shirt on sale and use those two together during the colder weather. For the warm start to the season, I have a set of Sitka pants with lightweight top (military discount took a huge chunk off that purchase) and also have the colder weather pants and jacket from Sitka. I pack stuff in so I can layer once I'm on the stand once I cool off from the walk in so I don't freeze my butt off. Both brands make great stuff, just shop around and find the best deals!

16. KyleM

KyleM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to pay full retail for any of my expensive camo. I found my scent blocker for 60% off at a local archery place it fit perfect. For the $80 I spent it is perfect for early season and mild days. When the temp really drops off I have a pair of UA pants that I again got for over half off(Marshalls). I would love to try to Sitka gear out but I'm still waiting on a deal I can't pass up.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to come off as a Richard, but dude, I could make it in a t-shirt and shorts for 15-50 degrees. Come up north and hunt some -10 temps with 20 mph winds and tell me you don't need to layer. I'm telling you right now there's not a single jacket and pants combo on this planet that will keep you warm at those temps.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As far as the brands go, I have a couple sets of Scent Lok and love them. I have a set of Timber Fleece, and a set of Commando Crossbow. Both are very well made and have good design features. I also a a set of lightweigh base layer and fleece base layer. They are also excellent quality. I have never worn UA, but I do have a set coming my way, so I guess I'll be able to compare.

19. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I broke down and bought some UA this year. I like it...I like it a lot! Here's what I picked up so far....

Baselayer: Cold Gear Infrared Scent Control EVO
    Midlayer: Scent Control Fleece jacket and pants
    Outerlayer: Speed Freek jacket and pants

I may break down and get the heavy weight cold gear (I can't remember the name). I'm going to see how these three layers do this winter first. It's already been pretty tough on the pocket book. Having a Cabela's card with reward points certainly helps though.

20. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't own any Scent Lok stuff, but do own Scent Blocker stuff and really like it. I also have lots of UA. I got the UA Treestand base layers this year...can't wait to try them. I bet they will be very warm!