What to plant in woods? Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kentuckybuck, Sep 16, 2014.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have about 100 acres, but is 99% woods. There is a nice size pond and some running creeks throughout. Connected to our land is a big field that the owner does a food plot and has a big feeder. In Summer time I have got pics of nice 8 and 10 pt bucks. But come Fall/Winter they are just not there. What can I do or plant in the woods that will help bring deer in? There is just no food source , but have great places throughout for bedding and cover. Any advice? Thanks!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way too many unknowns still. What is the make up of the woods on the 100acres? Maturity of the trees, thickness of the trees...is the pond always full of water....what does the neighbor plant in the plot....does or is he allowed to feed year round in your state...

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You potentially have the best of the two places to own and hunt. Tyni is asking good and pertinent questions. Food source is relative...deer are browsers so with 100 acres of woods, with the right management you probably have the food source that counts, namely...the one with the best cover and bedding.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything posted so far .

I tried one time to compete with the neighbors crop fields by planting a small opening in my trees . I used Whitetail Institute's Secret spot and it was easy enough to plant without having to do a ton of work and didn't need a lot of sunlight to grow . What I discovered was that the small opening was not a large enough area and I'd of had to do some clearing to get a large enough plot to have forage through deer season . The deer kept it mowed down to nothing and my little work was for nothing .

In the end , I still hunted the deer's normal travel patterns , hickory nut , and acorns.

5. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What surrounding crops are planted?
    How much pressure do you or other put on the mature bucks while scouting?

Take a soil test in the area you want to plant.

Very few crops grow well in low pH areas, which are typical of woods areas.
    Crops grow from photosynthesis, this is why you need sunlight. Nothing grows well unless you get plenty of sunlight. You need a bare minimum of 4 hours and preferable 8 hours to get effective growth. You can spin some fall rye, winter wheat and oats as options because they are cheap, but they also require sunlight.

I usually say for situations like yours, if all else fails, plant rape. Rape grows in the lowest of pH grounds, and tolerates more shady than most. It is also cheap. If you can't get rape to grow, you got major problems. Spend $10 an acre on rape and it's your best year 1 option.

6. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciat all the insight so far! The trees are thick in some areas, where other areas are like hardwoods and open. Lot of ridges and valleys, not too much flat land at all. The trees are mature for the most part that I can tell. I honestly do not know what he plants, but its for his farming more than deer. I will try to get pictures posted of different area asap, as well as ph levels of the soil.

I am trying to continue to learn each year. I remember all the help you gave me last year Covey, and always appreciate yours as well as all your alls time and advice!

7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you have a good piece of property to have as a starting point. I would be interested to know more about the lay of the land. Potentially it sounds as if some well planned TSI may help you more than a food plot. Giving deer security cover will make them LIVE on your property...a big food plot will draw them in, but they may travel a long distance to and from it

8. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry just now getting these posted. Here are some pics of the property we are hunting.

Attached Files:

9. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You also have to think about all the leaves falling and if they will smother out whatever you plant. I planted some alfalfa a few years ago along the east side of the woods and all the leaves ended up smothering it out.

10. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How wide is that area by the pond and the edge of the woods? That strip looks like it might be good for a food plot. Go to ggogle earth and get aerial shots of your property.

11. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
  12. C Rogers

C Rogers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With a little branch trimming and soil prep you should be able to grow some oats, wheat and some rape mix.

13. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same scenario..spring of 2015 was my first time doing a food plot in an area of spaced out trees since there aren't any fields or clearings on the property. I planted Whitetail Institute No Plow and without any lime and a minimal amount of fertilizer, I think it did pretty good. I sprayed and replanted the same area last week and hope on getting down there tomorrow afternoon to check on it. I also threw in a little oats and winter peas (in which I'm not expecting spectacular results). None the less, it's fun and a learning experience.

14. benkfd139

benkfd139 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you have some nice property there! You truley are blessed to have that much space. I have been blessed with some land to hunt that has crops on 3 sides and a deep drainage ditch on the 4th. But I would say to set up by the pond and food plot there as many others have told you. Keep us informed and good luck this year.