Nocked and Locked-Team 10

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Hoyt that stinks. Luckily this is still their transition period into their fall range so another buck will move in. Hopefully he's a stud too.

By the way, which school?

2. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt thats a bummer! Sure another one will fill that void though. Good luck.

3. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt,
    What a nice deer. I agree the great thing is your students ok and Life lesson are worth far more than a deer. Everything happens for a reason and I cant wait to see what shows up next.

4. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about the deer Hoyt. Very happy to hear the student is ok.

-D

5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend did not go as planned. I put Jess on her first deer Saturday morning.

It started out with us waking up to a huge thunderstorm. We went back to bed and woke up an hour later with the thunder gone and the rain letting up. So we got up, showered and headed out. On the way there we crossed paths with a fawn, another doe blew at us and we jumped a doe out of her bed. I figured the morning would be a bust. At 7:30 on the dot I looked to my right which was her left just after hitting send on a text to Christine, Dunn and Drath that I thought the morning was a bust and there stood a nice doe at 24yd. I had a clear shot but, this morning was all about Jess. I waited until she had her head turned to stand up and let Jess know there was a deer. She saw her finally and waited until she moved to where she could get up and draw. The doe came into her lane and I stopped the doe thinking Jess was ready. From my angle of view it looked great but, I should have waited and let Jess stop her when she was ready. Jess rushed the shot due to inexperience and thinking the doe would not stay still long enough. She let the arrow fly and hit a small hill just short of the deer. The shot sounded like it hit the deer to me. It made that solid crack sound just like hitting the rib cage. She climbed down about 30 min later to find her arrow 3" from the top of the hump in the ground shuck in a root.

Talk about bummed. I thought for sure it was a good hit and without having time to get the camera on and review the footage at the time it seemed good. I felt and still feel horrible. I should have let her stop the deer and she wouldn't have felt rushed. She has worked so hard to shoot so well and I ruined it. I guess it was a learning experience for the both of us. 1. Don't send out text of hitting your deer until you know for sure. 2. I'll let her make the deer stop from now on. 3. Trust that she can do it herself. 4. Have the camera ready the whole hunt.

We went out 2 more times Sunday with no luck. We did figure out where to hang the next set though and I'll do like i have done in the past and hang the set the night before we hunt. Every time I have done that, I have shot a deer the following morning. So thats the plan. In 2 weeks we will be back at it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Sticks. We've all been there. Good luck getting her on the next one.

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Season started today, but I'm not going out tonight. I've just been so busy with coaching softball and other things going on, I'm pretty far behind on being ready. Still need to check my stands, get my camo ready and shoot my bow a little. On the bright side, I got time to check my trail cameras on Friday night and I finally had some bucks on camera. Nothing too impressive, but some quality bucks. I'm still going after Lumpy, but right now he's completely nocturnal so no need to pressure the land if I know he's not coming out until after dark.

8. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your all so lucky October 1st for me. Ill be out there getting some footage maybe whack a few does on my morning property. Good luck in the next setup sticks thats a bummer. Hoyt Hopefully an other stud moves in that was an awesome deer.

9. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season still 2 weeks away for me. Not sure how much hunting time I'll get in this year because of my wife's medical conditions. She will be having surgery very soon and then possibly radiation and chemo. Will find out more Thursday after results of biopsies come in. Good luck to all.

10. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck Cougar. Prayers for you and your wife.

-D

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop being bummers you guys!

Crappy luck Hoyt and Sticks.

Prayers to you and your wife Coug!

12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers for your wife cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Cougar, I will add you and your family to my prayer list. As far as the deer hunting goes if its in the cards for you to get one this year you will. Good luck and stay strong for your wife.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be praying for you and your wife Cougar. Take good care of your wife.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    It's official, we are moving back to the hunting property. City living and a break in isn't for us. This is a plus for our hunting, once we are moved of course.

16. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man it's good to be in a tree[​IMG]

17. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I ALMOST got my first hunt of the season in on Saturday evening. That was until I realized it was 83 degrees and MUGGY as hell. I decided not to stink up the woods by sweating it out in the stand. I think I'm going to try to get out there this evening after work. Looks like we have a high of 70 today.

18. JoshKeller

JoshKeller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    opening day is saturday. temperature will depend on if I shoot or not. large antlers may sway my decision however :lol:

19. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    We will be back at it Sunday morning. Moving back to the hunting property and in between loads we are hitting the stand. Day time highs are a little high for my likings but, night time and early morning temps are to drop into the mid 50's. I wish I was able to get out this week. Hunters I know from that area have been laying them down this week due to this cold snap.

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: