Team 34 - Down and Dirty Out to 30

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Tony, Sep 16, 2014.

1. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was like what they heck are you talking about. Now I understand, give him a call and see if he is in or not

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's not good... Shake it off it's whitetail chasing now!

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Rob ... keep me posted :)

4. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Down and dirty out to Thirty is about to make history boys!

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a prediction or a tease?

6. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Neither, FACT! We are the underdogs for this year! And plus, with a name like that we are bound to win!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got some points for us, guys. I downed a doe this morning. Quite an eventful last evening and morning.

I took my 15 year old brother out last night for his first deer hunt. We got to the edge of the field at 3 and set up on a stone wall. We put some branches in front of us to try to break up our outline a bit. We waited for 3 hours before seeing a thing. He got antsy but he hung in there. At about 6PM the fork horn I've been watching the last few nights hops the wall at the end of the field followed by a 3 pointer and an antlerless, any would be a respectable first deer for him. Low and behold they walk right up to us. The wind was perfect. At 8 yards the 3 pt stops facing dead on with no shot. I tell my brother to draw his bow for when the deer turns but they were both frozen. After a second or two the deer turns broadside and stops. My brother, who has apparently been watching too much TV, lets out a "MEH!" to stop the already-stopped deer. The deer took off to the other end of the field and the 3 fed for 30 min before the wind shifted and they took off.

This morning I took him out for a sit on a different property. We ended up getting lost on the way in so we just plopped down in a tight group of beech trees. He sees 3 deer in the dark that turn out to be stumps and logs before falling asleep. Shortly after he dozes off and the sun comes up a doe and a yearling walk behind us in a thick grove of maple saplings. I try waking him, give him a shake moving as little as possible. Won't budge. I tap him when the pair is at 15 yards, nothing but Zzzzz. So the doe wandered to about 38 yards, I draw and shoot. On the commotion of the bow and the deer running off he snaps to life and says "REALLY?! Again?!" The same happens regularly while duck hunting. About 45 min later we started looking for the arrow and hard a surprisingly difficult time finding first blood. However, my brother found it himself and tracked the deer almost single handedly. We found the arrow about 30 yards down the trail and the deer maybe 50 yards after that. I'm sure he learned a lot and we had a great time hunting together.

[​IMG]

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go, brother! Congratulations and way to get the little bro in on it!

One bad thing....we have to change our cheesy name to Down and Dirty Out to 38 .....and that just doesn't rhyme :D

9. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    The cheese is what's gonna carry us this year. Down and dirty to somewhere around 30.

10. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Rampaige ! ! !

And I called Toby, it's him, he'll be checking in, no need for an alt... He's got big ones up in WI !

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So are you officially checking in fir him, Rob?

12. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man!! Now I need is for the 27th to be here so I can contribute!

13. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rampaige!

14. RattleSnake

RattleSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm here!

15. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We got a hell of a team . And we got a few absolute slobs on the Hitlist from team members here. It's bound to happens it's just a matter of time. I might have a slammer up my sleeves also, time will tell ;)

16. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on that doe man, great job! That's the way to get your season started.

17. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good!

18. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    Just got out of a 36 hour shift at work. I'll be heading out this afternoon. I'm not too sure where yet. The farm I've been hunting was holding a nice 8 pointer. Nothing incredible, probably 120" at most, if that. But chances are its the biggest buck I'll see all year. That is probably where I'll go tonight. The picture below is of said buck. The buck I shot at last Monday on a different property was also decent size (for CT). I would estimate him around 110-115 because he was a little on the skinny side but that is the standard for my area, unfortunately. Its up to you Mid West jokers to down some nice 160" jobs.

Stotts8pt0825.jpg

19. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    Just got out of a 36 hour shift at work. I'll be heading out this afternoon. I'm not too sure where yet. The farm I've been hunting was holding a nice 8 pointer. Nothing incredible, probably 115" at most, if that. But chances are its the biggest buck I'll see all year. That is probably where I'll go tonight. I haven't seen him in the 4 times I've been to that field. He HAS shown up in shooting light before the season but not while I was there. I'm going to check the camera again when I go tonight to see if we're just missing each other or if his patterns have changed. The picture below is of said buck.

The buck I shot at last Monday on a different property was also decent size (for CT). I would estimate him around 110-115 because he was a little on the skinny side but that is the standard for my area, unfortunately. Its up to you Mid West jokers to down some nice 160" jobs.

View attachment 51567

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Toby!
    If we all killed one of those and a doe, we would crush the competition .... kill him!