Ever suffered from target panic?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fletch920, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep... I deal with it. I do a couple things. 1. Draw and aim at small targets and just hold the pin there... don't release. Let down... this teaches you that you are capable of holding your pin on the target. 2. Shoot at large targets that are up close... focusing on nothing but releasing smoothly after settling in... and keep aiming after you release. I usually just shoot the ground in front of me with an old arrow.

I am convinced the biggest cause of target panic (and missing game) is trying to follow the arrow with your eyes. Forget the arrow flight... just keep aiming. On deer, I almost never consciously release... it just seems to go off on its own.

2. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Uhhhh? Been there too. That is buck fever not TP.:busted: LOL

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Also... draw anchor and let down while in your stand every once in a while. This helps with cold muscles as well.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have fought it a couple of times through the years and would start drawing completely off of the target and force myself to hold until I made it on target but never had any problems in a hunting situation . Really believe that my problems were more a lack of desire to do much shooting before season .

5. ROBOFLOX63

ROBOFLOX63 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes , but fixed it with this :
    Having come from rifle shooting I imagine the outer ring of the sight is a telescopic sight and keep looking down the 'scope' till the arrow lands.
    Simple and it works.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, fought it for years. Tried everything but couldn't fix it until I decided to try my hand at shooting a recurve. Shooting the recurve allowed me to draw and shoot immediately without holding a pin on the target. After practicing with the recurve for awhile I picked my compound back up and I never had any problems again. Sounds strange I'm sure, but that was the only thing that ever helped me. I don't miss target panic at all, especially when you draw back and it's like you lock up and can't move your pin without wanting to punch the trigger.

7. wayward sons bowfishing

wayward sons bowfishing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been going through it a lot this summer couldn't figure it out... Now I see what's going on ive gotta fix it

8. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch

We All have it. I have a little arthritis too in my bow elbow and that does not help either. I dialed my bow back and got realistic about the grouping. I shoot at the dots but remember that the kill zone on a deer is much bigger than those dots. Also shoot at your 3d target. It proves to you time and and again that you can still kill a deer!

PAX

PSR

9. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Timely post ...I was experiencing it something fierce this weekend. Little worried about it as the season starts on Saturday. Hopefully it'll all work out.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It definitely wont just work itself out. It is something that will take some serious dedication and conscious effort to overcome. The good news is, once you realize the problem and the remedies, you are well on the way to fixing it. I made huge improvement in just a few evenings of sweating through the process. It is something that I know will take a lot more work, but I am back to shooting as well as I ever have. (Which has never been great) lol

11. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started getting it when I used to shoot in a video league years ago. Still dealing with it to an extent. Considering turning down my bow to possibly help. Frustrating as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  12. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, it sucks

13. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had it bad back in the mid 80's. I went from my 65# indoor target bow to a 86# 3D bow without backing the limbs out and working my way back up, next thing I knew I had the TP.
    Even though I belive it sometimes starts out physical it almost always ends up mental.
    Alot of bowhunters end up with it this time of year because their bow has not been out of the case for the last 9 months and they try to jump back in where they left off, using muscles we dont normally use it does not take long to start rushing shots and dumping arrows instead of doing the correct thing and let the arrow down and start over.

I got rid of mine by backing off the draw weight and fixing my release so if could not fire. Going through the complete shot process without shooting, aiming at the Xring, working the release and counting to ten to myself, letting down the going through the whole process over and over again.

14. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoulder issues and lack of practice/exercise had me messed up a couple of seasons ago. My grouping past 30 yards was horrible and my confidence was in the crapper. I'm now shooting 57# and doing my best to stretch & exercise and it has absolutely made a world of difference, shooting better this season than I have in a long time.

I have noticed that now that I shoot a lighter draw weight my arrows seem to penetrate less into the ground after a complete pass thru on a deer. I can live with that ;)

15. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went through a round of target panic about 7 or 8 years ago. I had trouble hitting a 3×3 foot block at 10 yards.

To overcome it, I took the sight off and shot instinctively for a week, starting at 3 yards backing up to 20 by the end of the week. Then I put the site back on and practice drawing and letting down for a week.

I still have trouble from time to time. When I do I will draw back and make figure 8's over the bullseye without shooting a few times. This will usually get me right back on track.

16. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Another helpful tip. Thanks!

17. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Suffered through it this summer, my eyes are already going and I couldn't focus on the pin and target with one eye closed, lost countless arrows from jerking, now I shoot with both eyes open and don't even think about releasing the arrow anymore because it just comes natural. I just learned to relax and have fun with it and it just came back together. Shooting at about 58 pounds helps a lot too because I am still lethal but am not straining myself at all