Would you hunt here or not??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tfarah22, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to look into contacting the land owners.

That aside I have never once met or seen anyone on or around the land. You have to understand this isn't a field or something of the sorts. But dense wooded land on the side of a big hill. Or what you Midwesterners would call a mountain. I would never think of hunting with out permission if it where near someone's house or looked occupied in any way. In all of the years we have been there and I built forts and ran around getting poison oak, we never once saw another person. That's the only reason I looked into hunting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is very true. When people own a large amount of property, they will make it very clear if they don't want it bothered. Surprisingly, I don't take many trespassing complaints. I get more poaching complaints and road hunters each year during deer season than I do trespassing. Usually the only people that are hardcore about trespassing are farmers and other hunters. I'm a big stickler for road hunting. Thats a big no no when I'm on duty.

3. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Important thing is that you had the courtesy to ask our opinions. That says a lot about you. It means a lot in my book. I'm sure that if you contact the land owners, they will have no problem with you hunting.

4. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I am trying to find contact info now. Not easy only having a LLC name.

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This x 2!

I also agree that it is commendable you are trying to contact the owners first

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know how to find information about a LLC? I haven't been able to find squat via my old friend google.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd talk to some of the old neighbors around the area. Someone knows the info you need. Maybe the easiest way is to go to the county tax office (assessors office). Someone is still paying taxes on the property, have them run a general search for the address of the person or company paying the taxes. You should be able to get contact info based on that, which should be public info.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pull up the web site for your county tax assessor and search the LLC name. Or, go to the office and point out the property on a map and they will be able to pull up the information you need. Good luck. I would agree that you should have the peace of mind of getting permission.

9. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check the county courthouse. LLC's in my area are required to register in the county which they own and or operate a business regardless of wether the main office is located outside of that county. It's not like that everywhere but it's a good place to start.

10. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not a loophole. It's a law written specifically to help hunters find easier access to land. With land access becoming harder to come by with each passing season, I would think most hunters would be supportive of this. And I'm sure most are.

It's not ethically wrong either. As long as you are not being destructive of the property, which is a different topic altogether.

And in certain high deer density areas, where landowners are still reluctant to give access, laws like this are one of the ways to combat deer population issues. Unless you enjoy snipers being brought in to take care of a job that bowhunters are capable of.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Potato, potato

Hunters will be split on the topic, the ones that own land won't be happy about it while the ones that don't own land will be. I don't like the idea of having to post land to some inane standard for it to be known that people need permission to just gad about on it. There's a thing called public hunting land people can use if they can't buy or borrow someone elses land. The government shouldn't be in the business of creating a loophole (and that's exactly what it is) for hunters to try to take advantage of.

Matter of opinion, if you don't think it's wrong to make people post their land to keep trespassers off then there's not much else I can say.

Hows that work? If a landowner is reluctant to allow access they have to post their property and can still deny access. It's the loophole that forces a landowner to post private property that I don't like. Private property should be respected, not allowed to be subject to an assumption that because no one is around it's fair game. Anyone who believes the government, state of federal or local should have the right to force a landowner to allow public access is asking for a world of trouble are short sighted and ignorant.

12. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely get permission but if that is how the law is written, the owners should know the law and have the land properly marked if they do not want situations like this to arise.

13. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So in some states if private land isn't posted as private anyone is free to trespass on it? I guess I've always felt its up to the person to know whether the land is public or private before going on it and not up to the land owner to mark it private. Or I am misunderstanding the law?

14. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with some of your points. But I think the law is in place to help clarify private property posting. It is there to help protect hunters from being on land that is in no way marked, and later finding out you were on someone's land. But permission is always the best.

15. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's easier to "beg for forgiveness" than to "ask for permission"! (GRIN)

16. Mo Bow Hunter

Mo Bow Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LLC are registered with the state. You should be able to get the LLC contact info of your states website.

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to agree here.

18. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the law allows for it... and I am certain I am not bothering anyone... I'd hunt it in a minute.

19. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Found some info about the LLC but no contact info yet. Hopefully will find some soon