Question about drop aways

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Turkeysniper511, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a trophy taker classic drop away all metal. When I shoot the fletching pointing down always hits the drop away and starts bending the fletching and it throws the shot off. Do I need to start shooting with one fletching up instead? Will that make it different or is there a difference in where the fletchings are when you shoot? Debating on if I wanna get a new arrows rest. Anyone know what a awesome rest is that isn't crazy expensive?

2. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always shoot mine with the cock vane up. I would guess your rest/ bow isn't tuned right if you are getting fletching contact. That shouldn't happen regardless of which way the vanes are oriented.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Trophy Ridge revolution, full containment that drops away. Modestly priced and has never failed me after 1000's of shots

4. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like any of the QAD drop aways, never had an issue with mine and have good containment. I shoot cocking vane up, could be the tuning.

5. Caade

Caade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use an Apache drop away and never have any problems, but I do make sure and have the cock vane up as well just to be safe and consistent.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why are you shooting with a vane down? I know on the Limbdriver Pro V it recommends this but on most drop aways you want to position the fletching to get optimal clearance in the event of bounce back. If you shot vane down on a QAD then bad things happen to arrow flight most of the time depending on the height of the flipper and fletching. once you see vanes making contact its time to change what you are doing or the orientation of the arrow in the rest.

7. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the cheaper drop-aways bounce back and bump your arrows which ever way you mount your arrows. Don't be like me, research and spend the right money the first time.

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my ripcord rest. Never had one issue to date. Try cock vane up and see if that helps.

9. enemyofsilence

enemyofsilence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have my cock vane out to the left, so the 2 are parallel with string. Are you sure it is hitting the rest? It could be the cables. I had a similar problem. I notice I was getting a light black mark on the vane. Changed it up and no problem.