Question about deer behavior

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by D-min, Aug 28, 2014.

1. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm in Washington state and hunting black tail deer. The doe that I have been watching and tracking turns out to be a little spike with nubs where his alters would be. Anyway the other night he was out with a doe and he was shaking his head, making a wheezing/sneezing sound. Now I know the rut is a ways off but is that normal behavior or is it a sign of CWD or something like that?
    Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He may have just had a nose tickle or have nasal bots annoying him. I don't think that's characteristic of EHD or CWD.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rag weed allergy:(

4. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is ehd?

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. D-min

D-min Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info

7. UltimateTreeStandHunter

UltimateTreeStandHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been told a similar story from two inexperienced bow hunters who made the mistake of crunching down on the ground, to hide, smack in the trail of a big doe who.made the same loud short weez. They were.both frightened to.death. I also read a book that had inspired me to track deer. The author worked with my Dad once and he visited his house near warren Vermont and got me an autographed copy of the book. Their was.everything the authors dad taught him in the book and about him passing it on down to his sons. He tracked a particularly riley buck all day and returned to the top.of the mountain.a.second day where he found his bed and .tracked him for another day, down a brook almost to a town then right back up to the top. He tried on the third day to cut him.off.from.the bedding area and it worked he picked up the buck track.on a mt top.ravine were a spring brook began. He spotted a doe grazing on broadleaf greens,,after crossing the water closer to him. Then that damn buck,, as the author.described lowered his antlers into.the doe broadside in frustration of.being tracked for.three days . I believe it might of hurt the deer.but not.so much that it wouldn't survive. He wrote about a place his sons had found but gave few clues to find only said that their was.one place in Vermont they found that they'd consider hunting.from.a tree stand with a bow if their wasn't enough snow. They tracked mature buck after mature buck.their year after year and they always circled.back to the start within 3 hours.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer definitely sneeze...heard it countless times.