Brand new bow string

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Masskiller, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey what's up guys

Just put a new string and cables on my destroyer 350 that I got from bowtech dealer! Problem is I can't get my peep to stay in position when I draw it back it keeps moving .. I've heard an have been told that u got the shoot at least a 100 shots for the bow to settle ! I don't no how true that is because on my tribute I had custom strings put on ( new ) an never had an issue ....... Would appreciate some feed back thanks

2. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes peeps can be tricky. Yes you should soot it atleast 50 shots and then tie it in. If it still turns I grab the d- loop and twist the peep in the opposite way. You will have to do this for every shot until it stays. If it doesn't however then with the peep tied in, take the string off the cam and add a 1/4" twist to the string until you get it where you want it.

3. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks much appreciated , I have shot it 100 times over an still no luck I'll keep at it thanks

4. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it. Sometimes custom strings are pre-stretched so any string break in is minimal. You often don't have that luxury with stock strings.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It should straighten out after a while.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can add or remove twists in the string to keep the peep from rotating. Also you want to make sure that you have the same amount of material on either side of the peep. Outside of that like the others recommended you can "train" the peep by twisting the string and moving your dloop to align it correctly. There should be a few Youtube videos that can help you out as well.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your not going to like my answer....the string sucks. I havent had to shoot in a string from a good string builder years with the materials they been using for the the last 10 year or so. If they are built right, after the serving settles on the cams they are done moving. I am thinking about 20 shots or so.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the string is built right it should settle in after 50 shots. If it is turned this is what you need to do.

If the peep is twisting from right to left if you're looking at it from behind the bow, means the top half of the string has more tension than the bottom. So, you need to put a twist into the bottom half of the string.

Hutch

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, The string isn't made too well. Every string I've Hutch...the guy above build for me is like what Trial153 said! For me, it's been less than 20 shots actually. More like around 5 or so once it settled in the cam, never moved since. hutch builds a great string and is wonderful to deal with.

10. sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hutch is right .while we are on the subject . I am on Hutchs pro staff and came up with a issue with my string and peep rotation .instead of me having to torcher myself any more, Hutch went above and beyond and just built me a brand new string and shipped it out asap , cause my season starts in 2 weeks .

11. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the info I'll keep at ... Again appreciate good luck this season

12. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take the string off and untwist it one time if it's giving u that much trouble

13. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many things that could cause it, as stated in all the above post.. Of course starting with a well made string is a starter, but other things to consider would be
    the way they are installed and tied in, this makes a huge difference!

If you shoot the bow without the peep 5 or 6 times then install close to the exact height this helps get the string back to working pressure... The string came relaxed and needs to set back into working pressure (at brace)..

The reason it needs to be at or near the exact height is, if you separate the bundle wide to get the peep in, but now have to move the peep an inch or so, it affects the twist (which will take a bunch of shots to restabilize).. I always leave the tag separator in until I get the peep where I want it..... if the peep needs to be moved, I take it out and move the tag up, shoot it 2 or 3 times then reinstall the peep.... Its important to maintain the stabilization of the twist... And of course never move the peep in the string or under pressure, it disrupts the integrity of the fibers and the twist..

I saw a string rotating last week that had one knot tied higher than the other.. Retied it for the customer and the rotation went away... The install, knots and preparation are all keys to maintaining stable peeps in good quality strings!