Need Help With Sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kodipherus, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Kodipherus

Kodipherus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello folks I am trying to figure out why I cannot get a longer shot on my bow.
    I have shot it 45yds with previous sight and my last pin broke so bought new sight and now can only get up to 35yds.
    I hunt a trail that is 15 but there is a fork about 60yds back that if they take the other one I still can get a shot at 45yds.
    I have shot and killed deer on the 45yd trail with this bow so I know it will go the distance. Shooting 70# axis carbon arrows everything is the same as two years ago before I bought this sight. Why can I not get this figured out? Is this just poor design on sight or am I losing my genius touch haha.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to spend another $75 on sight when I did that last year.
    It is a 5 pin Bone Collector with dead-on-rangefinder attached, which I must ad is sweet. I suck at judging distance but that sucker has bailed me out a time or two.
    Please watch video it explains my issue better.
    Thanks
    Kody
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WaE5J2Z7tI&list=UUzlzHz06G8Nmg9AuYyBneuA

2. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm far from an expert but it looks like your pins are too low in the sight housing... move your pins back up and use the adjustments on the sight housing to get the 20yd pin on target then use the pin adjustments to get the rest of the pins on target at 30, 40, 50 yards.

JMHO // TrackSoup

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Could be this or just a smaller housing overall.

4. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you have anchor point, kisser button or peep sight location (peep too high) problems, forcing the sight to be set too low.
    time to start over again setting this up.

watch this video:
    Archery Tip of the week | How to get proper peep alignment - YouTube

of course once doing this, you will need to totally resight
    start close to the target with your top pin and work back to 20 yrds. (or whatever your top pin yardage was set at)
    adjusting the pin as needed.
    then reset the others, i like to measure their distance apart, to get them back "close", then shoot to fine tune.

also..... i think a 70 lb. bow should be shooting it's first pin at 20(+) yards, unless your shooting a 5/600 grain arrow ?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Kodipherus

Kodipherus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info I will check out your link on peep location I did get new winners choice string this spring and had bow shop that I use install. I assumed they knew what I was doing :) I'll keep you guys updated and thanks again.
    My sight is already bottomed out so I cannot realign pins and housing. there is two screw holes on bow and two on sight they align and that's where it's mounted. Slide is all the way down so I am liking AWK08 answer and going to go from there.
    Thanks again

6. Kodipherus

Kodipherus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also I am shooting a 400grain with 125grain Grim Reaper SS tip. Love them both have worked for a few years.
    I have a great spot I hunt and I buried myself into a big pine that is 15yrds off trail I am only 15ft off ground so I cannot really set my shortest pin for 20yds if I plan to only shoot 15 right? Unless I misunderstand your meaning.

7. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

what i'm saying is, unless you're shooting an extremely heavy arrow, which it appears you are not, there is no reason that bow @ 70 lbs, shouldn't be shooting flat enuf for one pin to cover out to 20 yards.
    that means one pin for 10, 15 and out to 20 yards.
    this goes for almost all modern bows shooting an arrow splined and weighted within reason.
    it's been since the late 70's since i've had to use anything less than a 20 yard pin.

your results may vary ;) and if a 15 yrd, pin is working for you, continue to do so

8. Kodipherus

Kodipherus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ahh so I should be using same pin for 10-20yards? I haven't tried to shoot less than 15 but I do use same pin for 15 and 20
    Then I would like a 30 40 45 and 50yd I watched the video you recommended and also searched some on kisser, sight, and peep alignment. After looking at my bow in detail I noticed my knock point and rest alignment, I am using a bone collector drop away, was in a downward angle. I am not sure if it makes a ton of a diff or not but I moved knock point and rest around until I had proper clearance everywhere and the arrow level with shelf. I ordered a string stop and some limb silencers, new stabilizer, so I am going to wait til next weekend to sight it all in at once. I have been told the string stop and stabilizer will effect my sighting somewhat. So I will update next weekend on how it all pans out.
    Thanks a lot for the help and greatly appreciate it. I didn't realize how much difference my knock point and peep could effect my sight placement.
    Kody

9. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't take this the wrong way but I would go to a reputable bow shop and make sure your bow is correctly tuned and you have the proper spined arrows for your set up. Have them help you set the 20 yard pin and you can set the rest on your own.

10. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also 45 yard shots on whitetail are less than desirable try to keep it under 30.

11. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From what I'm seeing, those pins are WAY too low in the housing. I'd move the pins back up in the housing, then adjust the housing itself to sight in your 20 yard pin. Once you have that sighted in moving the housing, then start adjusting your other pins for 30, 40, 50. I had the same problem on a 5 pin sight I had, because I didn't even think about it since I bought it used but the pins were all set way low in the housing. Once I went back to square one doing the major adjustments on the housing, it all worked out.

12. Gremlinsrus

Gremlinsrus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, peep too high, housing and pins too low... I try to keep my housing close to centered and my 20 yd pin about 1/3rd from the top. just a reference point.. as said set the 20 yd by adjusting housing and then pin adjustments for others.

13. enemyofsilence

enemyofsilence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above. Housing needs to go up. The adjustment bolt should be about middle of the rail that holds the sight housing on. give or take. Check your peep sight and rest. When you look through the peep you should see just you pins, maybe a little of sight ring. Someone else suggested to take it to a shop. I would do the same. Let us know how you make out

14. Kodipherus

Kodipherus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased the arrows and had them time my rest at the local bow shop. Shooting AXIS 400g with grim reaper 125g that were set-up for this bow. After two failed d-loops and crappy service I have stopped going there. They are primarily a fishing show and the owner who I trust is usually gone salmon charter during this time so I never get him to work on it. The next closest one is three weeks out on looking at the bow. I shot it today and have sighted in the 20 pin and then stopped. As to keeping it under 30 I haven't been trying to shoot to 45 but my spot calls for it at times and I prepare for it. I have the velocity still to knock down deer, have done so in past. As of now my 20 pin is about 2/3 from bottom which is what I was hoping for and it looks good. I'll take another video this weekend to update and show the new setup. I don't have a problem taking bow into shop but I am not going to pay someone to do something that I can do myself with a little time and effort. I am not trying to restring or anything just adjust what's already been installed by them.
    Thanks again for all the advice and happy hunting.
    Kody