Annoying problem

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Shooter88, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Shooter88

Shooter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone. I went out and practiced today with the Bear Attitude I bought a couple weeks ago. It is my first bow, and today was my third time with it out. I noticed that the first few shots were good and impacted right where I was aiming. Then afterwards I noticed that whenever I released the bow string, my other arm would jerk the bow to the left. After a while of trying to correct it, I got frustrated and went home as I could not hit anywhere near where I was aiming. What can I do to prevent this happening?

2. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what you said it sounds like it's you making it jump and not the bow. I can not be sure without watching you shoot but you possibly be developing some form of "target panic" in essence you get nervous when you are about to shoot. I know when I had it I had trouble getting on the target at all. You'll just have to make sure you get your form down and make sure you do not punch your release. If you can explain what's happening a little better it might be easier to diagnose what's happening!

3. Shooter88

Shooter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are right in that it is not the bow. I does seem to be some sort of reaction that of mine that is causing it to do it. Kind of like how a person who has never fired a gun before will always tend to jerk the trigger in anticipation of the shot, therefore causing them to miss the target.

The only thing I can come up with is that when I let go of the bow string, all that pressure being released is making my arm thats holding the bow move quickly to the left. As for my form, I have a slight bend in my elbow as I am holding the bow in front of me, I have a very loose grip so as not to muscle it at all, and I am not holding onto the release at all with my other hand. I gently bring my finger down to the trigger of the release when I am ready to let one go
    As for my stance, I am standing with my left side facing the target (I am right handed)

4. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect form and concentration on the target not the bow. There are a lot of youtube videos that can help you. Another trick is set up a camera next to you and film yourself. This will help you to stop any bad habits you might have.

Hutch

5. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another possible thing that could be happening is you may not be following through your shot fully, It may not seem like you're trying to look but it is a possibility. I do like what Hutch said. Video taping yourself may help you diagnose the problem.

6. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Relax. This is suppose to be fun. Deep breath. Draw back. Find your anchor point and settle in. Deep, consistent breath and let the arrow fly. Follow through is important because it impacts arrow flight. Your target, at this point, isn't moving. Take your time.

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are looking to see the hit so you jerk your arm/bow out of the way to the left as said above concentrate on the follow thru and see if it clears up. If the last thing you think is wonder where this one will hit you look :)

8. Mathews1995

Mathews1995 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't grip the bow, you should be able to hold the bow with your hand being open

9. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot smaller strings of arrows and rest between strings. i.e. Shoot no more than 4 or 5 shots and take a break. relax and make sure that you are keeping your left arm (assuming you're a righty) slightly bent and your hand is relaxed for the shot. Don't grip the bow too tight.

Keep the bow up and your eyes positioned as if you were still looking through your peep. You will be able to see the arrow.
    Don't jerk the release.

don't shoot too much. if you are getting tired, stop.

10. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree when your tired your concentration gets bad and you tend to make mistakes..i know when I shot my Mathews dxt it would happen a lot..just shoot smaller groups of arrows take breaks between shots and just enjoy shooting and have fun.....dorobuta is right on the money with everything he told you

11. DChappell

DChappell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad I read this post. I'm a new bow hunter myself and the exact same thing was happening to me. Once I got sighted in I was stoked to be shooting a 4-5 inch grouping. Then after I shoot it for a while my grouping would go to crap. It seemed the harder I tried the worst I was getting. Now I realize it was me just getting tired, which was leading me to second guess my technique. Thanks again for this post!

12. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is your draw length correct? I told my friend his was way to long and he didn't believe me, we moved it half inch shorter and now he's spot on, try it. Make sure you are squeezing the release slightly and holding on target until you hear that arrow hit! Film yourself and post it and we will help

13. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said:

Concentrate on your form, and follow through. You should hold your form after the shot keeping your bow hand loose and your release hand anchored for a second or two.

Watch some videos on shooting form or record yourself and review it.

If you have access to a big hay bale, you can shoot the bale at a distance of about 10 feet with your eyes closed prior to the shot. This can help reduce target panic by helping you concentrate on your form without the pressure of hitting the bullseye.

Once you start to get frustrated and/or tired, call it a day. It only goes downhill from there.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few thoughts/questions:
    Is the string guide still attached,
    Are you using a stabilizer?
    Check your grip to make sure you don't have a strangle hold on the bow-which may be resulting in some jerking of the bow.

~Bill

15. Capt Don

Capt Don Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had been having the same problem and after a guy that was watching me gave me some coaching I've gotten a lot better. First, I was shooting too many arrows and getting real tired and frustrated and second, I had according to him a death grip on the bow. Now a better and looser grip and not so many arrows and I'm doing much better.

16. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shooting more than 3 arrows at a time is not ideal. I stick to 3 arrow groups or 4 just because that gives you time to relax between groups. When you shoot it should be like how you would if you were hunting, draw nice and quietly, anchor and look down at that pin and focus on keeping it on target, when you feel comfortable that it is on target move your finger towards the trigger of the release and rest it on the trigger and slowly pull back on the trigger only with your finger not jerking your arms. Now when it releases don't move that bow down until you hear it hit the target! follow throughs are crutial to a good shot. Now all this should happen in under 7 seconds. Once you practice it enough you wont even focus on the release part and anchor point it will all come natural and you will just focus on aiming and drawing quietly. DON'T DEATH GRIP THE BOW! You know how you move your hand to immitate a mouth moving? do the same thing with your grip, it should rest in you palm and your fingertips should just barely touch. Finally, if you find you are getting frustrated because you are missing the target or all over the place, simply set the bow down, go inside and watch some tv and get a little food in your stomach and drink something than come back to it. It is a fun lifestyle and a fun sport as well, it helps to be surrounded by people who are experienced as well so they can help you with your form