Ticks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by demonpep, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have Scent Lok clothing and other scent eliminating clothing that I have sprayed with Sawyer's Permethrin and it has not affected it. It does not smell. I spray all my gear with it.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Awesome Advice^ I have an older set of Enduraskin Base Layers from BPS that I wear under my clothes. It fits tight and overlaps.I wear my socks outside of the bottoms. I treat it all with Sawyer's Permethrin as well as the clothes I wear overtop. If a tick does get past my outer layer, they cannot get to my skin. The base layer is moisture wicking and keeps me cool. I treat my socks, boots and gear too. It is not worth the risk.

3. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always seem to get into a mess of ticks. I always check myself when I get home. I was always told that you couldn't contract Lyme or Rocky Mnt. spotted fever unless a tick had been on you for awhile and was ready to fall off. I also had a run in with a brown recluse that bit me on the arm a few years back.

4. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could use more warmth up here in IL during season. These polar vortex things we get really suck.

5. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure bout scentloc, but I soak my leafy suit. It has no odor that bothers deer. Let the stuff dry. U don't want concentrated permethrin coming in contact with your skin. Permethrin is actually the medication your doctor will prescribe if you get a skin mite/scabies etc but it is >5% usually. I would not spray my bow with it but your backpack would be a good idea. A ground blind should also be ok to spray down as well

6. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like old tales. Once a tick bites and inserts its feeding tube/mouth parts, you are susceptible to disease. Due to a ticks size blood is the consistency of jello to them, they release a fluid into the blood that breaks it down and thins it out so they can feed. If I'm not mistaken, that fluid can transfer disease. You will especially want to be careful if a tick does bite you. Proper removal of the tick is extremely important. Their feeding tube has barbs on it to help keep them anchored down. If you just grab them with your fingers and yank them off you will break off their mouth parts inside of you, releasing their blood meal.

8. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    here is some of the info from the sheet:

Treatment pricing:

1 Item of clothing: $9.95/piece (sock pairs count as one piece)
    3-19 Items: $8.33/piece
    20+ : $7.95/piece

Coveralls add $5.00 per piece

garments must be clean, only garments can be treated, no plain fabric. those that are tagged waterproof, line dry, no tumble dry, or dry clean only not suitable.

items usually ship back within 3 business days after receiving/treating them. they also have it where you can have their tag sewn on showing its is treated but not needed for personal use (saves money too).

pretty much the charge is based on how many items you send them to do plus the return shipping. still a good deal considering a bottle of sawyers is $12 plus and only lasts 6 washes.

just sent out some stuff to get done Saturday, will update once returned with timeline

9. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, be interesting to see if it works

10. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it worked for my military uniforms when they were treated prior to deployment then after on training exercises out in the woods. of course the government picked up the tab for that one

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys, but common sense tells me that the above statement is false. If it were safe after it dried, it would not kill ticks on contact, but it does. Therefore, even when dry the stuff is clearly still an active poison, and I ain't wearing clothes soaked in poison. If you choose to believe what the greedy manufacturer tells you, over simple common sense, well.............. I'm sorry, you're right, a manufacturer would never lie to the customer to sell their product. Let's just say I prefer to tuck my pants into my socks, and stop every so often to pick the ticks off my pants.

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for starting the thread. I was looking for something like this since we have ticks here all year round. My wife freaked in the spring when I came home from turkey hunting and found a tick in the closet on the floor. I'll be getting some of this for sure. Thanks again!

13. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    to clarify my earlier post, I don't treat the underwear, long johns or socks but only the outside pants and shirts and I treat all of those as soon as I buy them. I've had one bout of lyme disease and peretherum on the outer garments seems to be effective for me with thus far acceptable risk. now that I've found the rhino skin, I use that as additional protection.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

As a two time veteran of Lymes Disease, I highly advise you to do a little research on Permethrin. Sawyer, for example, advises you to not spray it directly on the skin. However, if you read up on Permthrin itself, there is only a slight risk of health affects. I believe Sawyer is leaning on the side of caution here and not being "greedy" as you state. When sprayed on clothing and dried, it is essentially harmless to humans.

If you frequent areas with a lot of ticks as I do, there is not other choice but to treat your clothing and be vigilant with checking yourself when you return home. Even though I treat my clothing and check myself, I have managed to get Lymes a second time. Let me tell you from first hand experience, if the first time is bad, the second will damn near kill you. Trust me.

15. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    update, sent everything out last Saturday to Insect Shield and got it all back yesterday. total cost shipped was $50.40. No smell or discoloration. true test will be when i hit the woods but if they perform like my ACU's did i should have no worries at all.

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, I think I found a new side business. My permethrin cost me ~$10 on Amazon, plus shipping costs... yup looks like there is money to be made here. :D

On a more serious note, what does Insect shield use to treat the clothes?

~Bill

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also, for all hunting this year and not treating their clothes, read up on Lyme disease, Heartland virus and the Alpha gal allergy--all carried by ticks.

~Bill

18. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

they treat with permetherin. the store bought stuff lasts like 6-7 washes this stuff lasts up to 70 washes

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  19. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a little confused right now. Lymes disease stays with you for life right? Or am I wrong. Around here only the western black legged tick carries lymes

20. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there is an article in May 2014 PREVENTION magazine that discusses Lyme disease and what they call chronic Lyme. highly recommend you swipe the magazine from the doctor's office and read it like I did. the article also said it takes 36-48 hours for lyme bacteria to be transmitted by ticks but an Army doctor in Afghanistan told me it was 6 hours. so I'm leaning toward the shorter time frame meaning I don't wait two days to check my butt crack for interlopers. I understand the concern with chemicals against the skin and I try to avoid as much of that as I can. But my respect for the diseases carried by ticks, having experienced one version and seeing my sister suffer through another, I use peretherum. thankfully this is still our option and no government turd has dictated to us one way or another on this...yet.