Good compound Bow???

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jamie71, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Va beach but hunt Near Fredrick county, Front royal and might be hunting Brunswick county and Amelia county also. I know I love hunting and use a rifle right now and would love to give bow hunting a go since the season is longer and earlier.

2. JiAnthony315y

JiAnthony315y Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use a PSE super short which is about 5 years old and isn't made anymore...it has been a great bow..I just ordered a hoyt carbon spyder turbo last week...I bought the turbo because it is light, smooth draw, quiet, won't get as cold, and it looks cool..

Good luck with your purchase

3. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    I really enjoy shooting my Diamond (made by Bowtech). If I was starting over I would definitely look at the Mission (made by Mathews) or Bear. I think Bear turns out greatly underrated products.

4. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews does have some good bows, some expensive though. I think the craze model is a great price for the bow. And bear has some that I like.

5. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. I was just curious, figured have to be one of the urban areas to start slaying em next month. I live out in the boonies.... We don't get started till Oct. 4th. Definitely a blast. I rifle hunt as well...... but, seem to get a little more satisfaction out of bow hunting. I'll spend many days in a stand this fall. Whereas, I'll probably only rifle hunt a few days. Again, don't get me wrong, I like it all but, the bow just gets me in a way a rifle can't.

6. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True about rifle season, not long enough. I go to my cabin up in the mountains where it was built in 1785, old stone cabin. I want to get into bow hunting since the season is longer and try something different. Whereabouts do you live out there? I live in va bch but hunt out west mostly, bout 12 miles from West Va. Looking forward to getting a bow though and love my rifle.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just went through what you're looking to do. I got lucky and have an archery store in my area. Best decision I could have made. The owner is a long time bow hunter and does taxidermy. I had all my questions answered, was measured and handled several bows till we found one that fit. I wasn't sold the cheapest nor the most expensive but bought the bow that fits ME. He also has a range set up so I could test, pull, push and handle the bow to be sure it was the right one for me. You can't get that on line or at a box store.

8. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    I will vouch for supporting your local shop. I just got a recurve from a shop I visited when I lived in Colorado because of how well I was treated the four times I went in. Even though I didn't get it in person I made sure to get it from then online.

9. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I am going to go to my local Bass pro shop or Wilcox archery and bait tackle to shhot a few and see which ones I like the most and narrow it down. And then to buy and practice alot of targets. :)

10. KyleM

KyleM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what has been said above. Find a local archery place that will let you shoot several different bows and has the knowledge to get you setup. Also you might be able to find a nice used bow if you want to save some money.

11. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ain't far from WV either. Although, thinking Im further south than you. As the crow flys WV is only about 30 miles from me. By I64... Im about 50 miles from the line.

You'll dig hunting with archery tackle. It's a whole different experience. Nothing like sititng in a stand, patiently waiting. It's pretty exciting when deer are 15-20 yds away. Watching that carbon fiber fly through em......wow. Very primal.

12. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Viper21 you said the right words. I hunt on private land up there with 3 tree stands set up and 2 ground blinds that we move around sometimes. I know I will enjoy bow hunting and just being out in the woods and enjoying the outdoors.

13. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I went and shot a couple of bows today, Mathews, hoty Bear just to name a few. For the first time pulling a bow not bad and from what some people said it would be hard it wasnt to bad. Not accurate but patience and time and practice will do. Mission is a good product also. So it is going to be a tough choice to make as I really dont want to spend more than $600 as I just bought a new gun also. :)

14. Jamie71

Jamie71 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What does everyone think of PSE and Bear bows? Im kinda leaning towards one of them. Thanks

15. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a Bear for over 20yrs. Actually, stilll have it. Although, it feels like a dinosaur now...lol.

There's tons of good bows out there man. Biggest thing is which one feels right to you. THAT is most important IMO. If it feels right, & is within your budget.... buy it..& start getting aquainted with it :)

16. josh1974

josh1974 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might take a look at the Diamond Core. Diamond is Bowtechs sister company.