need help

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by buckslayer99, Aug 13, 2014.

1. buckslayer99

buckslayer99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    one of m trail cameras got infested with ants and i took it apart to get as many eggs/ants out as possible but i dont want to spray the electronics with anything any suggestions? i also removed it from the tree it was hanging on.

2. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never had this problem, but I would probably throw it in a garbage bag and seal it up and then throw it in a freezer for a couple days to kill everything. Then clean it out again.

3. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spray tree with ortho or spectracide bug spray or ant spray that is odorless and it seems to stop the ants, you can also spray paper towel with it and gently rub area where ants are entering, works like a charm. Scoot

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a common problem. Ants are actually attracted to the electrical discharge from the batteries and circuit board in the camera. They like the electrical smell apparently....i learned this doing HVAC service work...little boogers love to set up shop in contactors and the like.....i have had this happen even to my high dollar recconyx cams....doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. I open up the camera, clean everything out, and usually pick another nearby tree.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember a thread on this with some helpful info. I will try to look for it.

6. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Yep my old Cuddebacks would get ants about once a year. I would shake them out and freeze in a ziploc bag for a few days. Before hanging them back on a tree blow them out with compressed air can that is used to clean keyboards.

7. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea.

8. buckslayer99

buckslayer99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the helps guys i was thinking the freezer but wasnt sure and this is an old cuddeback that got filled with ants. Thanks again guys for the help.

9. Pete

Pete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can also rinse it out with 90% alcohol then blow it out with compressed air. I use alcohol for cleaning electronic assemblies daily. Do remove the batteries first tho. It does wonders cleaning crud out of hard to see and reach places. ;)

I do this stuff for a living. So yes it is safe and sane.

Pete

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey another Carbon Knight shooter! Depending on how long you've had it might want to read something I found out and just posted the other day.
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/tech-t...y-carbon-knight-shooters-might-want-read.html