Perfect Tree Cover or Perfect Wind?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jetlynk

jetlynk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    perfect wind not even a secound thought.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, a deer will bust without seeing you yet smelling you, but sometimes you can get away with them seeing you and not smelling you.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I could get high enough in the 14" tree, I would hunt it in the mornings.

4. Bowhunter Brown

Bowhunter Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect wind you can fool there eyes sometimes but you can never fool there sense of smell.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd just wear Trinity, use evercalm and ozonics; and never worry about wind again!
    :lol:

seriously though; I guess I'd lean toward the better cover. As others have indicated, in this situation I'm letting fly at 35!
    And to be fair, I've been busted by their eyes many more times than their noses. That may be more from stand placement than anything, but I do practice good scent control and I play thermals like they're pocket aces.
    (I'm guessing the poster who mentioned the morning hunt was referring to thermals.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Play the wind in the tree with cover. I know you said it won't be good for one of the directions, but I don't see how the tree that is small can be a good wind from two directions. Maybe, I read it wrong or don't understand. I don't like being in a small tree because they sway in the wind and you can get outlined way too easy.

Generally if you a deer busts you from your scent, movement, etc they usually will run back in the direction they came from. If they are coming from two directions then it shouldn't ruin your hunt for the direction with good wind. Won't always be the case, but most of the time it works that way.

7. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in an area with marginal trees at best for hanging stands due to their lack of size and cover. Camo will not compensate. Sure, you will fool some deer, but a mature deer (buck or doe), not so much. There is also the wind factor and tree swaying of the small tree to consider. Doesn't take much wind to sway a 14" tree....there goes your accuracy of shot,IMO.

Put your stand in the tree with cover and be disciplined enough to only hunt the stand when the wind IS perfect for the set up. That is what we should do as bowhunters anyway.

Based on your analysis that this a pinch point on travel route and assuming you are hunting for a mature buck, you will likely have other deer come through the area prior to his arrival ( at least in evening) and the last thing you need is a doe downwind snorting and stomping educating and turning back the other deer.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is probably about the best advise I've seen in this thread. You could end up ruining the area for a season which could drastically change the travel patterns of all the other routs coming into the area. That wouldn't be good.

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I usually error with the wind as sometimes you can get away with being seen. If it is a mature deer whatever you are going to do it now and at the middle of the day to give them some time to get used to it.

10. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the perfect wind crowd(even though I rarely experience it). If I can set up where I know the wind is good then that would be my first choice. I would probably add some height to my stand to compensate for the lack of cover but other than that I'd just sit still & maybe use a leafy suit, I think movement is the killer more than lack of cover.

11. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would consider attaching some branches to your stand tree, as a backdrop. Get them up there now while there's time, and deer will get used to the change quickly. I do this all the time when the "perfect tree" will skyline me otherwise. Don't hunt the other tree if the wind is wrong. Alert a mature buck just once and you'll likely not see him again. Wind is most important, every time.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm totally with JZ on this one...I'd hunt another stand. A big mature buck is nothing that "good'nuff" will allow a passing grade.

If I had to choose I'd say the tree with cover and do my best with scent control and maybe use a buckbomb or a fresh faux scrape. I would not brush in a ground blind or a tree stand in the skinny tree. A wise old buck will hit the scent of the fresh cut and the change in landscape will be a cause for alarm. If you look like a raisin on a tooth pick before, making a bigger raisin with loads of brush won't do anything but make it worse...at best you will hide a bit of movement but it won't overcome an old buck picking out the immediate change to the area.