Broadheads need help picking the right one

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wilkescountycc, Jul 22, 2014.

1. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should NAP spitfires and they have worked great for me so far. I have only shot two deer so far but haven't had a problem. They have hit bone and never lost a blade as well. I went with them because some of my friends who helped get me into hunting have used them for years and swear by them. They fly the same as my field points and seem pretty tough. I always see people using the NAP killzones but never really the Spitfires. Are people just not fans of the 3 blade design?

-Andrew

2. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Spitfires. Tough as nails, great penetration even on quartering away shots. No o-ring to mess with.

I've use G5 Strikers (fixed blade) and G5 T2 (before the T3 came out)

I like the NAP Spitfires best. Very reliable and fly great.

But they are an old design so they don't get much love anymore.

3. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot grim reapers last year (Mathew's edition) and had great results. I'll be using them again this year with the addition of G5 T3 in the arsenal as well

4. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the rage hypodermic last year, and I hated it. I'm trying to decide between the rage extreme, killzone, and G5 havoc. Decisions decisions.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    people aren't huge fans of the forward-deploying blade system. It takes a bow with a lot of KE to get really good penetration.
    They are awesomely effective heads in the right set up. I used to shoot them with my cross bow. Flew great and a got a pass-thru with a Spitfire on the only deer I ever shot with one. And they're much better quality than grim reapers, with a similar design.

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the killzones, you will not look back. I shot rage for a while but got so sick and tired of the orings and them opening up in my quiver or if I bumped anything with my arrow/bow. I have 2 deer now with killzones. Both complete pass throughs and an unbelievable blood trail. Deer never made it more that 40 yards

7. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot one of these, you would be happy to shoot anything on the market today.. I swear this thing is un-tunable..
    Maybe a cool item if some of you have never seen one, I found this buried into a tree behind the archery shop I use to hang out at.

Attached Files:

8. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of Rage. Don't like the engineers that make them or the materials they use. I do like NAP very well made here in the US and very good materials. Used the Killzones last year and loved them. Switching to Swhackers this year and cannot wait to try them.

9. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just to let everyone know. I've shot three deer with NAP Spitfires 125gr chisel tip. I shoot 65lbs and 29" draw.

All have been FULL Pass-threw except one accidental spine shot. The follow up shot went all the way through and into the dirt 6". All shots were taken between 25-35 yards.

10. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some solid broad heads, but I plan to let a shwacker fly at a doe atleast to test, as I am also very interested.

11. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same story here, only it was 2 deer, and I shoot the 100 grains with 60# and 28" draw. I like that they open simply and don't have a o-ring or something else holding them closed.

-Andrew

12. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was interested in the solid broad heads, until I saw the price. They can take those heads and sho.....well lets just say no head is worth that price. Especially when anyone can kill just as dead with a muzzy for 15 bucks for a 3 pack

13. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To each is own I guess...the quality and steel (s30V) used in the making of these heads is superior than others out there, thus it having that "expensive" price point. IMO they are worth the price, but everyone is different. Especially when you spend the money on 2 packs and you keep re-sharpening them over and over for years and years with the leather strop and a good compound like White Gold. The money is no issue to me when it comes to having a quality, extremely sharp and good flying broadhead.

14. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ summed it up perfectly.

$1k for a bow, $3-400 in accessories, 140 in a dozen arrows, stands, cameras, time spent in the woods, time spent training.

Yes I agree you can kill a deer with just about any broad head, but these can be reused for a long long time due to the quality.

Imagine all the money you spent above and think about what would happen if you shot it as is? What's attached to the pointy end of the arrow that's going to get the job done? Worth it to me!

15. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of rage I shoot 60 lbs and didn't have a pass thru at all. Im with everyone else on the o rings and stuff to much Hassel. Fixed is the best way to go I've had better luck with Walmart bheads then rage lol. Tryin the magnus stingers this year.

16. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I felt the same way, loved the design though. So I went with the Carbon express XT 4. Similar design, albeit lower quality metals used but I got 9 heads shipped for 34 bucks. Worth a try in my opinion.

17. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ I took a look at these heads the other day, I'm actually going to pick a pack up and try them out for myself, maybe write a little review on them vs the solid broad heads for you guys. I'll do durability, tune ability, accuracy, quality, overall performance.

18. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this!

19. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also interested in the Carbon Express xt 4's and will be keeping an eye out for that review.

20. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input but I'm going with swhackers looking forward to deer season good luck to all