Archery in korea

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by comescrashing, Jul 26, 2014.

1. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My little brother has taken an interest in hunting after being in basic and ait. His first duty station is going to be Korea and I want to give him my bow that I was going to sell. I think I remember a thread about this along time ago.

Any help would be awesome. Tganks
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

2. ABN Panzer

ABN Panzer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where in Korea will he be stationed? Is it an unaccompanied (1 yr) tour?

Having been stationed in Korea I see no scenario where the military will allow him to take a bow with him to Korea. Additionally there is no hunting.

3. Fisherman19

Fisherman19 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which base is he going to? Check to see if there is a Facebook page for the base. Many bases have archery clubs. More than likely he will be on an unaccompanied tour so he will live in the barracks. Usually no weapons allowed in them. He maybe able to keep the bow in armory though. Probably best bet is to wait the year until he gets back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ABN Panzer

ABN Panzer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fisherman19 is correct with some of the bases offering Archery Clubs. We did not have this where I was. Additionally I see 8th Army did update their policies in 2012... they rewrote their policy more than a few times but the latest looks to be March 2012.

What is your brother's MOS? (What does he do?) This will help make an educated guess as to where he may be sent as well as insight to potential available "time".

But... in all honesty. I'd hold out a year, as stated above. Different bases and units will/may have different rules (Discretion of the local commander). As a entry level soldier getting to a new assignment with a rapid turn over rate (Korea) and not knowing his unit or chain of command... best to hold out. If he is at a location that has any of the clubs I imagine they will be able to provide the tools used. (Most of the Archery club stuff I can find has been limited to Traditional Bows. but that does not mean I found everything in my search).

5. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in the early 1980s we worked with our counterparts in southern part of the Korean peninsula (well away from the DMZ). one of the guys stationed over there permanent actually did a lot of pheasant hunting with a shotgun and there was an island off the coast with some deer though can't recall if he had the opportunity to hunt them or not. realize that's thirty years back and we were a different service but would not surprise me if there were shooting opportunities over there. certainly worth checking. when I deployed I always took my 1970's vintage bear compound which I could take apart and pack in my cruise box.

6. James O'Neail

James O'Neail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No personal weapons r not allowed there plus if he live in the baraks it isn't allowed either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna give it to him anyways and he can just keep it at our dads until he gets back
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

8. mjbassett

mjbassett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Korea has incredible bow teams, maybe he can get instruction off base.