Help with my strength training program

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Double Creek, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for a little advice on my workouts.

The facts:

37 yrs old, 6ft 200 lbs
    Looking to build muscle
    No real experience with weights
    I can only lift 3 days a week and about 45 min per
    For the past couple months my routine has been 3 days per week:

Bench press
    Fly
    Incline bench
    Hammer curl
    Bar curl
    Military press
    Lat pull down
    Overhead tricep press
    Squats
    Assisted dip
    Assisted pull-up
    Not sure of the name, but side arm raises

All is done with 5 sets of 5 other than the hammer curl and squats, which are 5 sets of 10.

Also, majority is done with dumb bells.

I also run 3 days a week for cardio.

Are there other lifts I should be doing or some I could drop.

Is the 5x5 method ideal?

Thanks for any advice.

2. jcartwright

jcartwright Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need to change your routine and shock your muscles. They will get use to doing the same thing all the time. Check out bodybuilding.com. They have an extensive database and workout plans. Happy lifting!

3. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there is a TON you can accomplish in a 3day a week program all within 45minutes. first, i would say instead of doing the workout you listed 3 times a week, break it down into one body part per day (ill type up an example at the bottom).

second, with a 5x5 style workout you are using more of a power lifter style routine, and unless your packing down 8,000+ calories a day and slingin some heavy weight around, you're not maximizing your time. the 5 sets is great, and you can adjust from 4-5 sets per exercise depending on how you feel, but definitely a minimum of 4 sets. To maximize your time in the gym, up your reps to between 12-15 reps for everything. people make the assumption that high reps=leaner, this is a myth. pick your weight so that the last 3-4 reps are a struggle to complete, the key here is muscle failure. If you fail to hit your rep destination in your last set thats fine, and what you want (if you dont have a spotter present to help you finish out the reps). By taking your muscles to failure you are creating micro tears that generate growth (bc your body is shocked and responds to this by growing stronger to stand up to future punishment, the body is truly amazing that way).

third, diet is THE MOST important thing in building muscle. eat as clean as you want to, but the cleaner the food you fuel your body with the better itll run. the more processed the food the less your body can get out of it to use for replenishment and growth. So with that said, focus on a high protein diet from meats such as chicken, fish, and red meat (venison is best, but beef is good too, just remember it takes your body between 2-3days to completely digest and get rid of red meat, so eat it couple times a week at most). Carbs should be consumed during the day and after workouts (your body needs post workout carbs to begin the process of feeding the muscle and stop your body from feeding off the muscle which is a result of your blood sugar dropping during a workout. your body will "eat" muscle first bc it is the easiest to access and burn, so feed your body or itll "eat" your progress haha). next is greenery....simply put leafier (if thats a real word?) and darker green is best (brocolli, spinach, asparagus, etc.). finally, fats. your fats should come from such sources as peanut butter, almonds or nuts, omega 3 acids (like in fish), avacados, etc. keep the total grams of fats you intake higher than your carb intake, carbs are harder for the body to utilize than the fats mentioned.

ok so now that all the science-y stuff is out of the way here is a basic workout you could accomplish in your 45min window and i can almost guarantee youll have time left over if you want.

Im gonna use monday, wednesday, friday for the workout...but obviously use whatever days work best for you. Any questions about the lifts i name feel free to message me or they should all be googleable (again, real word? duno, but it should be haha).

Monday
    Chest & Shoulders
    Bench (dumbbell or straight bar totally up to you): 5 x 12-15
    -dumbbell flies: 5 x 12-15 (super set with bench, 30sec rest after flies, begin again)
    Incline bench: 5 x 12-15
    -decline push-up(feet on bench, hands on floor): 5 x failure (super set with bench, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Military dumbbell press: 5 x 12-15
    -lat raise: 5 x 12-15 (super set w/ mil press, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Front raise: 5 x 12-15
    -bent over reverse flies: 5 x 12-15 (super set w front raise, 30sec rest, begin again)
    DONE

Wednesday
    Back & Arms
    Lat pulldowns: 5 x 12-15 (hands slightly wider than shoulders)
    -seated rows (close grip): 5 x 12-15 (superset, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Bent over rows: 5 x 12-15 (straight bar, hands shoulder width apart)
    -close grip T-bar rows: 5 x 12-15 (super set, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Rope pulldown: 5 x 12-15
    -over-head rope extentions: 5 x 12-15 (super set, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Lying skull crushers (elbows in..imagine youre holding a basketball between your elbows throughout the motion): 5x12-15
    -dumbbell curls (rotate, start palms facing your side, rotate out as your curl up): 5 x 12-15 (SS, 30sec rest, begin again)
    Barbell curls: 5 x 12-15
    -hammer curls: 5 x 12-15 (ss, 30sec rest, begin again)
    DONE

Friday
    Legs (no super sets...yaaay)
    Back Squats: 5 x 12-15
    Walking lunges (holding dumbbells or bar on back): 3 x 10 steps each leg or 20 total
    Leg extensions: 5 x 20-25
    Leg Curls: 5 x 20-25
    DONE

with the rest period, if you need 45sec take it just do your best to keep your rest period under 1min.

sorry for the long read, hope this helps, any questions feel free to message me. Now go forth and be jacked!

4. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Theres an inherent difference between strength training and building muscle. One is a by product of the other...and that is strength training will build muscle. Conversely you can certainly build muscle but not be effectively as strong. Two very different goals. PnS has a great workout above...If your looking to gain strength and solely get strong I recommend a routine like PnS described or a more basicfull body ( Deadlift, back or front squat, and bench incl/decl) and google the 5x5 program

5. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    The workout i provided is a bodybuilding style routine that is designed to build muscle while burning fat, strength isnt a primary focus of this particular workout due to the higher rep range. Strength focused workouts, or power lifting routines, are traditionally that lower rep range the 5 x 5 provides a lifter. The 12-15 rep range routines focus on total exhaustion of the muscle group, which has been linked to more stimulation and growth in the muscles. Growth and size, do not always equate to strength, as Bowhuntandlive stated, one is simply a byproduct of the other. If you look at bodybuilders vs. power-lifters (strong man competitiors) theyre workouts couldnt be more opposite, in that a power lifter's concern is moving as much weight as possible...im not intending to sound as im bashing power lifters, but their focus is using multiple complementing muscle groups to efficiently move weight whereas a bodybuilder's concern is getting a full stretch and contraction while isolating a single muscle group throughout the movement to shape and mold that particular muscle group. Both styles can be great, and as a bodybuilding style lifter i incorporate both styles into my routines because of how they compliment each other in growing muscle.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice! I will definitely incorporate that into my workout.

Joel

7. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. Lifting has been a part of my life for 15years, all the way through college football and shifting into a bodybuilding focus after college. With as many people as I see in the gym doing stuff that puts them at risk for injury, I wouldn't hesitate to help someone hit and surpass their goals..the right way which lessens the risk of injury.