When is the trolling going to stop?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Germ, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know. Seem like some people here with high post numbers only show up to stir the pot once in a while and take over the thread certain threads. Never here them talk about bow hunting or archery at all.

But I here your point.

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2nd what Max said. nobody is hating on newer guys like you and even me for that matter or the post count. It's more the individuals who only post up things to antagonize people and purposely try to start crap. Taking a poke at someone once in awhile is one thing but when it turns in to constant badgering and put downs, that's when it is time to step in.

3. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really never gave any thought to keep track of members post count, nor mine. Do you feel threatened in some way by another member who has 113 posts in a month?

I say to you that a majority of folks on this forum will support everyones right to read, and comment on threads started on this forum in keeping with the spirit of this great forum.

It was folks on one of our sponsors site that were so wrapped around thread count which is why they changed the forum, and went away from post counts.

However, I acknowledge your opinion. Best of luck, and good hunting my friend.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that the original "113 posts in less than a month" comment was a lighthearted jab and is being taken way too personally by some.

That being said, there will always be some people in the Cool Kids Club that think FNGs have nothing to add and should not speak until spoken to. Some FNGs feel the need to prove themselves and post about every single topic that comes along. Some people in the Cool Kids Club are there only due to the fact that they have been around for a long time and really bring little to the table other than attitude and snark.

Like everything else, there is a middle ground. It's up to us as mature adults (mostly) to find it for ourselves. I'm not going to name names just for the simple fact that I don't want to get into a back and forth, but there are members on here who absolutely take pleasure in taking contrary positions or posting nonsense just to see the response. I wouldn't doubt if there are some people on here who have multiple sign-on IDs and get into back and forths with themselves (yes, there are people that insane. See WranglerForum.com)

I think the mods here do a pretty good job- much better than other forums; and bans are given much more judiciously than other sites. For the most part, off-topic "watercooler" threads here work themselves out or just go away. I know that many of these threads would have been closed much earlier on other sites. I like that here they get the chance to work themselves out.

I work really long and odd hours in a big city so I don't get the chance to hang out with other hunters and just argue and BS as much as I would like (like almost never.) Plus where else can you interact with people from all types of backgrounds and geographical areas? Sometimes it's kind of amusing to watch members shoot doves out of season or otherwise make digital horses a$$e$$ out of themselves...or even make the occasional stupid comment myself and get called out for it. Hey; you talk (post) enough, you're going to say something stupid. Especially if you're averaging over 100 posts/month. :poke:

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, I thought that was obvious, but I guess not.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing is obvious on the world wide web, but most of us got it.:p

8. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not quite sure what some of you want out of this. It seems like some of you simply want cheerleaders to support everything you believe in and just live with one mindset.

Anyways what is FNG?

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another way to look at this is just two guys got into an argument that got out of hand and were banned for a period of time. It is not like we have rampant trolling on this website.

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always tried to follow the old saying that it's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. Post count does not equal intelligence.
    I frequent another forum that is troll central ( Where's my ARFcom bros and sisters at?)

You just learn to skip em, and they'll fizz out sooner or later.
    I've seen stuff get heated and once in awhile somebody will reply with something they shouldn't of, so yeah I can see a peepee slap for them.
    Some people are just permaban material though.

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

12. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here are my deductions
    #1 we are blowing this post count thing up out of proportion, I don't know many who really make it a goal to up their post count.
    #2 I've seen some people post here who I barely ever see, which means there are tons of people who read and peruse but never make comments
    #3 if you take a view contrary to someone's position they don't like and you post a lot in that thread, then you're obviously trolling.
    #4 I am fitting the definition of being a troll right now with #3
    #5 some of you guys will never be satisfied with life. You want things your way because it's the right way, and the days of glory were yesterday. Well if the future is looking like it's going to suck and all you want is someone to piss, moan, complain, and bring others down with, I'm glad that we're not friends.

With that, I won't comment any further on this thread.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    whoawhoawhoa- I thought at some point; you said you were in the military?
    to borrow someone else's sig line; I smell pineapples...and BS.

14. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like every year around the 1st of August there are people who start showing the signs of PHS (Pre-Hunting Syndrome). They get moody and testy with each other... That's it! We're in the human version of the pre-rut! Different hunters are positioning themselves in the hierarchy for when hunting actually starts. I think we must be in the verbal sparring cycle.

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Its as easy as this! If people didnt let other get to them and just ignore !

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have entered bizarro world!!!!!!

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    According to a quick google search it stands for F****** new guy
    And I have bought a sight from chop and he is definitely active military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It does sound easy, and most times it is. There is, though, that "every once in a while" incident that really spins someone up. If a little tact is used, it's possible to dress someone down and put them in their place without crossing the line that results in a "vacation".

This same guy got to me in one of my threads a while back, but I'm still around. Well, sometimes, anyway.

19. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I credit Justin, Todd and the rest of the BHC crew for making this website what it is. They started a business to grow into something bigger, and they've done just that.

For my taste, it's not as much fun as it used to be because it's bigger. And hey let's face it. I'm older and priorities change. My oldest daughter will be a senior this year. My youngest a sophomore. So I don't have the time I used to have.

And as far as trolling and members who annoy us. Look at it this way. Have you EVER been around a group of people and didn't find at least one person you don't like? . I don't think so. I surely haven't. But this Internet thing is like the radio. The radio has nobs and we can change stations if we don't like what we hear. Same here. Don't like it? . Ignore the thread and/or poster. That simple.

I've been warned before. So I backed off. It's hard sometimes to not take what is said personally. And hey. Sometimes it is personal. Thats where the bans come in. I had a guy way back in the day plain straight threatened to kick my *** if he ran into me. He's gone. The mods do a great job at their voluntary jobs.

Anyway. Just my 2 cents. And the disclaimer. The use of the word "you" is meant generically and is not directed at any individual.

20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so. I know times/jargon changes but I have never previously met a military person active, reserve, or retired who had never heard/used that term. I thought it was universal.