Tree Stand Placement

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Hoytman62, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Hoytman62

Hoytman62 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just read that it is recommended to place your tree stand or Ladder stand as far away from a deer core area as possible. What is the meaning of a deer core area? Thanks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    basically where the deer hangs out the most. or its home range. This may include a bedding area

3. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    basically where the deer hangs out the most. or its home range. This may include a bedding area.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say they mean bedding area. Although some may recommend never going into a bedding area to hunt I've never heard of placing your stand as far away from it as you can. Ideally you want to position yourself somewhere between their core area and feeding and adjust your position/location depending on the timing of your deer sightings. Mornings you often want to be closer to the bedding whereas in the evening often you select the site closer to the feeding area.

5. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice

6. mnbowmanmark

mnbowmanmark Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree I try to set up as close as I can get without getting busted.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the trick.

8. mnbowmanmark

mnbowmanmark Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is but it can be done. That's where scouting comes in to play, along with paying attention to the wind.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

9. SlingnArrows

SlingnArrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The closer you are to the bedroom the more likely you are going to see that big boy during shooting light. You have to be careful not to get too close and jump deer on your way into the stand. Pay attention to normal prevailing winds for stand placement, be quiet in and out, shoot straight.

10. n432cal

n432cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can get in close to the bedding area, just make sure you are super quiet, and scent free.

11. TallTines

TallTines Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scouting right after the season ends and finding there bedding areas and see how they enter and exit them and what winds they use for different beds and mark everything on a topo map and find ways to get in close to his bed without him hearing you

12. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would be selective when you hunt right up against the bedding areas. Don't set up one stand in a confirmed bedding area and hunt it every day. I would do it based on camera evidence (buck sightings during day light), weather (cold fronts/storms moving in), and sometimes even moon phase. I try to hunt a little more conservatively so I don't spook deer. I'll let the bedding stands rest so I don't wear them out.

But to answer your question:
    It is ok to hunt close to, or even sometimes in, bedding areas. Like everyone else said: put yourself between beds and food with the right wind and you'll have deer under your stand. KEEP IN MIND its not so much the stand location that you need to be concerned about, its your entry and exit routes that will ultimately matter. He'll see/hear/smell you coming/going, as well as your scent left behind. You want to get in and out as clean as possible.

13. linewrench

linewrench Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like to be within a hundred yards of a bedding area but most of my morning stands are right on top of it. Although some areas I hunt that have a heavier hunting pressure I tend to hold tight to the bedding area no matter what because the deer tend to move closer to dark and I can catch them coming out with shooting light to spare. I don't believe in any rule pertaining to stand placement, there are to many variables to consider.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

14. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt close to bedding areas in the morning to catch the deer coming back from feeding at night, hunt near food source in the evening to catch deer going to the fields early, you don't want to be in their bedroom just be waiting at the end of their driveway for them if that makes sense?

15. linewrench

linewrench Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Let me explain, this is what works for me, pertaining to the areas I hunt. The deer leave the fields before first light due to the heavy hunting pressure of that area. The closer I am to the bedding area the more mature deer I see, some of the older bucks don't even leave the bedding area/heavy cover in day light or until the rut comes in. My point is stand placement has to do with the area you hunt and the patterns of that area. Everyone can agree on the concept of being between the food and bedding area but how close or how far depends on when the deer come and go.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk