Need advise

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by randyf, Jun 28, 2014.

1. randyf

randyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason I have developed a problem when shooting. I draw my bow and hit the release before fully on target. A few times it is like I have not even looked into my peep. I know that my equipment is working fine it is something I am doing. It is almost like I panic when coming on target. Any advise would be helpful.

2. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have target panic. It has been described as a "fear of missing." Much like stage fright, the more you think about it the worse it gets, but you need to think about it and research it to figure out how to get over it.

What I would start out doing is moving much closer to the target, and just drawing your bow without getting near the release trigger. Just draw, let the pins come on target, and relax, knowing that there is no need to release the arrow. Let down. Repeat millions of times. This was the main exercise that helped me, and I had it bad for years. You are already ahead of me, as you are smart enough to ask for help and I wasn't.

Another thing I did was to lower my poundage, to help keep myself more relaxed at full draw, and I also made my release trigger as heavy as I could. I found that I was afraid to touch the trigger until I was ready to shoot, for fear of it going of and me not being ready to shoot yet. The sights would cross the target and I would panic, reaching out and slamming the trigger with my finger. With the heavier trigger, I was able to get my finger in place early, and being a nice, smooth pull the way it should be done. This comes in handy much later, when you'll let yourself shoot a few arrows close range, and do some blind-bale shooting.

I know what you're going through, and all archers eventually go through it. You'll find plenty of experience, therefore, good advice, on here, with plenty of other great suggestions. Try them all. It's frustrating, and I'll guarantee that you will think about giving up archery before it's over, but don't give in to that. Keep at it and you'll eventually beat it.

Good luck.

V

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I Agree with ventilator those exercises helped me a ton. I still use them as part of my practice routine most times I won't even shoot my first arrow until I've drawn back and let down a few times definitely helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very good advise. I had the same issues. At first, drawing without my finger on the trigger my whole body would jump as soon as the pin was near the dot. I took many days of drawing a dozen or 2 times without shooting an arrow. Also a few weeks away from shooting may help. That was 3 years ago and so far so good. I do draw without shooting often now though. You can fix it. Good luck.

5. randyf

randyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I started doing it today, I taped my release so I would not fire my bow. The first few I felt myself trying to fire the release and such. I drew my bow back and let down somewhere around 30 times and by the end I was holding the pin on target. Going to pratice this way all week. Thanks for the help.

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's something I need to start doing, drawing without firing to ditch the "target panic". Some good info!

7. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had pretty much the same thing. I had a release malfunction on me when I was first starting out and tweaked my shoulder really bad. I would freak out when going to draw back because I was afraid it was going to happen again. I took some time off from archery, and came back with some of the same fears. I had one of those exercise bands laying around the house and I would "draw back" using that to get comfortable and get the muscle memory. I then went to my bow and would draw back and not have my finger on the trigger and not worry about where I was shooting, just worrying about making sure everything was in place (stance, posture, leveling my bow, calming myself) and then I would shoot. When I got all that figure out then I was more concerned about where my arrow was going. I found taking it in steps really helped me get over my target panic.