The Kill ...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Jul 1, 2014.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot speak for Justin so as I try to explain this section in bold, keep in mind it's from my POV as I share what Justin stated.

I enjoy the entire concept, the entire "process" as well. Matching whits and determination with an animal that is as smart and hearty as a whitetailed deer is a challenge that I love. For me that challenge is won when I get one within bow range, that's to say I outsmarted it and was more determined to go out of my comfortable element to put myself in a position to harvest that animal...no easy task.
    The separation is as a management minded person that likes venison, I don't enjoy killing that animal, I don't feel compelled to kill that animal to feel I won the game, I feel compelled to kill that animal, primarily, for the meat...secondly because it fit my priorities as a manager in age, etc..and lastly as proof that I had the brass to close the deal when it mattered the most. As to trophy bucks...all those apply but with an added reason of it's evidence that I can lay my hands on as to the product of my hard work through management.

If killing was all there was in it for me...I'd never climb in another deer stand. If I felt compelled to shoot archery for fun, I would get into 3D.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    sums it up for me as well

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can I ask a question how many of you hunters have ever raised and butchered your own food, not a garden but processed chickens, pork or beef?

4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This post is utterly ridiculous in the context of this thread...natives, and I am not talking about those that live in civilization for they are no different than us...as a matter of fact, they will kill animals and sell them to the "white man" in my area...natives that are subsistence hunters both enjoy the hunt but MUST hunt to survive. They take way more game than we do and with methods that would be considered illegal for us..... BAD analogy ...

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

that is the most untrue, ignorant, and racist thing I have ever read on this forum.

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Killing doesn't bother me at all. When I started hunting at a younger age I felt bad for the animal, but have hunted long enough that it doesn't bother me. Might sound harsh, but I don't have a bad feeling about it anymore. I really think it is natural to want to hunt.

Part of hunting is killing. This is the part that many non hunters only look at and think we are savages. We all know that hunting is much more than just the kill. I don't apologize to an animal after killing it though. I do try to respect the animal by using it in some aspect. Some animals are used more than others. Coyote/Deer. Coyote, I skin and don't eat. Deer, I use more of the animal. Part of the enjoyment of deer hunting for me is the entire process including getting your own meat and processing it. Every piece of meat that is bought at a store had to be killed.

Wounding an animal is what bothers me a lot. Killing it doesn't at all. Just my thoughts.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all that, though remorse wouldn't be my choice of words...more like thankfulness and respect ...

He said he took pleasure in the fact that he killed the animal cleanly but not the actual killing itself ... I don't know, for me I can't separate the two, nor do I feel the need to, I guess ... maybe that is why I can't get the two to jive..

8. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spoken by a member of "Team Kill". Obviously we know where your thirst lies. What's most ironic is the juxtaposition of biblical verses. "Praise god and go kill" just seems wrong from the POV of a pious man.

I see I've riled up the white man.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, you just once again exposed yourself ..... keep talking...we all have your number

10. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When we were kids growing up we did. Chickens, pork, goats and beef.

11. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know a guy, who just couldnt seal the deal. He hunted for years with no bow kills.... Heck I had conversations on the stand after he missed. and I was blessed enough to talk to him immediately after his first kill in a very long time. He stuck with it, even without success. there must be more to that term, success. Enjoyment of the moment has to factor in. just being out there. The whole experience, the kill is only a part of it.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey brother! How have you been?

Do I know this guy you are talking about?

13. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you do. SO tell ME, What kept you going back?

I am ok. living in Wyoming. Cant wait for elk season!
    how have you been.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had killed plenty of deer before and during that bow drought...so if I am.goin got be honest, the kill is what kept me going....I think it was 10 years without a bow kill...

Doing well! I expect pictures!

15. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been killing deer with my bow for 23 years. I love the thrill of the hunt and the kill. With age I have realized the need for conservation and that I just can't kill everything that walks by just for the sake of the kill. Therefor I have learned to set my goals high Like targeting specific deer or age class of deer and when I get those kills It makes them more rewarding.

I have only regretted one kill in my 23 years. I shot a doe late in january the first year that they extend the season well into january. She had two fawns in her and that bothered me. I out smarted there mom but not them. I didn't feel like that was fare. That was the last time I have shot a doe after the rut.

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet if you could ask the deer he would disagree. lol

I don't feel conflicted when shooting an animal, but as Justin said I like the result more than the act of the kill. In fact, the act of the kill is anti climactic for me when it comes to hunting.

17. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about big game and being able to put together a hunt is the be all end all at this place. The kill is anticlimactic and there is no feeling for the sake of the intended harvest. I do not sympathize with my objective and have already mentally broken it down into quarters. I enjoy the challenge and pushing my body all the while remaining real about things. The peak from my hunts is the culmination of getting in a position to come to full draw. After the arrow is released the line of thought is shifted to the work that has been committed to and just how far I need to pack out. I do not bow hunt to kill or end life. I kill with my bow as part of the bigger picture that involves contributions to the economy, food for the family, health to the body, and food for the soul. We are the top of the food chain. Bowhunting is 360 degrees. The full circle can not be fully enjoyed when the focus is on one spoke. The true thrill in my game would bore most. The drive out, the miles alone with just a backpack and a plan, the changing winds, the glassing, the finding gets my motor running, getting a range and coming to full draw... this is my joy and reason. The small things unobserved by most folks fuel me on. The intense fighting of two big range bulls and the crashing of the brush or walking up on an unsuspecting squirrel cause blood flow and sense of purpose. Taking a ridge and busting through for an interception on what you deem a trophy but far from a booner, much less pope and young. The Christmas Day feeling would occur when my ELK Tag is in hand, placed in my pack, and the truck is pointed north. One better would include the head of a mule deer buck strapped to my pack and the final walk out.

18. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Good Lord Above put these animals on His earth for our consumption. I dont have feelings either way about it. Good luck to everyone this season.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you have raised animals and then butchered and ate them you tend to have a different perspective. Not that a person gets to enjoy killing but you get it and tend not to be emotional about ending an animals life.

20. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who takes pleasure in soley ending a life is psychotic.