When are you taking your vacation this deer season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Jun 20, 2014.

1. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Currently the plan is to be off the 23 of oct till nov 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, I hate You :rant: I wish I could take that much time off !
    Im thinking Ill take Nov 8th thru 16th off work.
    My husband retired and went back to work partime so he gets Oct - January off, I hate him also ;)

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aug 22- Oct 12....

4. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done this the past 5 seasons, and by the end I'm actually ready to go back to work. That's just wrong. lol.

5. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Since Frank and Myself both work construction we never plan on taking any vacation days. WE just wait and see how the jobs are going and let the cards fall where they a re supposed to. I ( we) tend to hunt a lot in the afternoons. It just works better for us. We are very blessed to hunt close to where we live. Sometimes we are only 400 yards from my house. So we just slide in afar work and go. Truthfully I hate hunting the rut. Its to unpredictable so we just try to see what phase they are in and what the weather is doing and go from there

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't really determined that yet. I think I will go back to my journal and video footage from last year and see when I saw the most activity and maybe plan accordingly. I typically don't take off successive days, but rather a day here and a day there.

7. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sept. 3- sept. 17 back to work for a week then back home for 5 days for days off

Country_ Boy

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 13 - 27 Idaho Elk
    Oct 3 - 6, 17-19, 31 - Nov 2 for Wisco deer (squeeze some Indiana in there somewhere)
    Nov 8 - 14 for Michigan archery and if I don't fill my tag, 15th-17th for Michigan rifle.

Nothing planned for after that. We'll see how full the freezer is at that point.

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I will do more then 15 days this season. Need the meat!

10. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually take Thursday and friday the two weeks in november we're allowed to hunt in pa. Except last year, I took care of business the 3rd day of the season! haha by the time the rut came around i was so jealous

11. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I think the pre-rut or searching stage is better to hunt than the chase/lock down phases.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take this for what it's worth. But a lot of folks believe in a "rut" moon. The first full moon of November is considered the rut moon. Legend has it that after this "rut" moon is when the rut hits the hardest. Notoriously for the midwest and northern states the second and third week of November is generally the best time to be in the woods for rut activity.

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. But For a full moon isn't the hunting "technically" harder with much more night time activity?

14. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    theoretically, this is suppose to be the case, but I killed my buck chasing a doe at 3pm last year Oct 19th which was during a full moon. I suspect that if bucks had been out all night and then had taken a rest that morning, that he went back to chasin after his morning nap...

here is a simple website for looking up historic and future moon phase calendars...

This month's moon phases and calculator for any day since 1951 | StarDate Online

15. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, only the morning hunts have been hindered the morning after the full moon. I started to change up my tactics after full moon nights, rather then getting in the stand prior to sun-up, I hold off and go in around 9am and sit until 1 or so. I can explain more in depth the idea behind this if need be. But it basically boils down to the deer have already made it to the bedding area prior to sun-up on full moon nights.

This being the case for the morning, the deer tend to move mid morning and early afternoon, giving more daylight activity.

What I was stating earlier about the "rut" moon is that, the week or 2 after the rut moon is supposedly (according to some) the peak of the rut. If you're wanting to schedule vacation based on the rut, the moon could be something to take into consideration. I personally do not put a whole lot of stock into the "rut" moon, but I do find it interesting to see how the rut pans out.

For instance, we had a late full moon in November (rut moon) and the peak of the rut was a little later this year(in my area), close to 2 weeks after the rut moon.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to head up to Wisconsin to hunt with Hank (In Da Woods) this year since I was unable to last year. Hopefully we can schedule it around the Pre-rut/Rut. I look to have my target bucks down early this year on my hunting property.

17. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nov 1 thru the 17th with 10 days still to schedule!! =))

18. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Taking the first week plus of in November. November 3 through the 8 have always been good to me. .... except last season

19. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    October 23 and 24 (4 day weekend), Novermber 3 through the 7 (9 strait days off) November 27 and 28 (4 day weekend) and December 25 and 26 (4 day weekend)

Included the holidays since Turkey Day and Birth of Christ) I love to hunt those days and I have those days off from work.

20. randyf

randyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Start October 20th thru November November 8th. Then off Thanksgiving and the day after thanksgiving. Then again the last two weeks of December.