Do you drop your deer off to get processed?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never dropped one off! I have always done mine myself. My dad and I will do anywhere from 10 to 20 deer a year!! We have our own walk in box and processing room!!

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No way am I letting anyone touch my deer ...we do about 8 deer a year ...it is a great time to get together with those I hunt with and I have the accomplished feeling of knowing it was done right.

Only lazy, no account, gun hating, Obama loving, sluggards don't do their own processing .. :poke:

3. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why pay someone to do what I can do myself. I also know what I have when I'm done and that it was my deer that I'm eating. Like some above said, it's all part of the hunting experience.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I kill it, cut it, grind it, make my own sausage and jerky, and vaccuum seal everything. I have never understood taking a deer in for processing. It is stupid easy and everything is just the way I like it.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Second this.

It's still part of the hunt to me.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cut it up all myself. I do take some to different meat places to make sausage, brats and then one other thing (maybe sticks/dogs/?)

7. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found out the hard way that if you take deer meat to large processors, companies that process several hundred deer, if they make any type of grind for sausage etc., you seldom get your own venison back. They grind it all together to save time and clean up. If everybody knew how to properly gut and handle deer that would be O.K. I seen too many bad field dressing and deer exposed to warm to long to want anything to do with mixing meat.
    It really pretty easy to Take out the back straps and tenderloins and grind the rest. That way one knows exactly what they have.

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing both lately. Last year I butchered two myself and took one to the processor.

I'm always jealous of you guys posting your fees. Here I pay 90 for a fawn, 120 for a doe and 130 for a buck. Then they charge 5 for a skull cap and 30 to cape. That is standard cut, round steaks, tip roasts, straps butterflied and the rest ground. Additives, sausages and jerkey are all separate fees.

I shot the one I processed last year near the end of my vacation and after 2 I was worn out. Temps also have a lot.to.do.with my decision. Killing and butchering on the same day isn't something I look forward to. I don't have a big cooler and learned last year it's a lot of space in the fridge if you get a big bodied deer quartered up, deboned or not. If I can let it hang a day or three I go that route and do it myself.

I'll be looking into a garage fridge for this purpose over the summer.

9. Bowhunter1997

Bowhunter1997 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope,we do it all ourselves. Grind it, cube it, package it, make link sausage, add the fat to it. Everything

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

10. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for do it all myself. I've found that as I have gotten older i enjoy that part of it almost as much as the hunt itself. There is something very satisfying about sitting down to a meal that you killed, cleaned, processed and cooked yourself.

11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's a bit high.

12. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any deer under 100 lbs I like to cut into steaks, roasts, stew meat, etc. Any deer over 100 lbs I basically quarter out, wrap, and freeze. After season closes I take all those frozen pieces to the processor for burger and sausage. I have found that if I wait til after season I get the meat back much quicker as they are not swamped with orders. They also only charge by the pound on processed meat, meaning there is no cleaning/processing fee and basically get the deer done for around .70 cents a pound.

I have no interest in processing 20+ deer a year(whole family) and don't really have anything set up to do that kind of work efficiently.

13. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope never waste a good cut of meat

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

14. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am seeing that getting it processed benefits quite a few here. I still may do most myself and get a bigger one done by the butcher. The shop I took it too did such a great job. Better then I could do with my grinder.

15. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did my deer last year, and in the parking lot of my apartment(only place I had and landlord said ok). After going with my buddy to take his to the processor, I will never not do it myself. I enjoy it thoroughly and know what I am getting. If there is a mistake it is on me.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

16. Faster

Faster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to butcher my own deer and vacuum seal all the meat, but the heat of sept and oct prevent me from butchering most of my early season deer. Once the temps are down, there's no way I'd bring them to the butcher.

17. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We start hunting Kentucky in September and it is plenty warm. As soon as I get a deer home I skin it. You would be surprised how much easier the hide comes off when still warm. Then I Dbone all the meat cover it on trays and put in the refrigerator for a few days. After that is when I finish the processing.

18. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do it my self. For the ground meat i add some bacon ends which is pretty much bacon fat. The meat turns out awesome

19. ARSportsman

ARSportsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grew up cleaning all game and farm animals @ home. Deer, goat, hog, young beef, squirrel, rabbit, coon and so on. My first job other than cattle farm was butcher shop. So needless to say i am familer with it all but burn out. My dad enjoys grinding and making different sausages. So I quarter all my animals and take to him. Fathers day, birthdays and any possible holiday I buy dad a new tool such as grinders and tenderizers.
    So if you know someone who enjoys it you might support them with tools and meat win win situation.

20. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No!

I have an extra fridge... I skin and quarter them and put them in a bag until I have time to do the job myself.

I had one guy that did a decent job... then he hired help... nasty! I threw away 30 pounds of burger because it had tallow all in it... nasty! Haven't been back.