Class Reunions

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The HS I graduated from, I only attended for about a year and a half. There were at least 450 people in my graduating class so while I was pretty tight with a few people, I would have no idea who most of the people are. In fact, when I used to go to the BH.com office (back when it was HNI) I found out that I was in the same class as the office manager. We had some mutual friends but neither of us remembered ever meeting each other in HS.

The school crowd from my previous HS would be more interesting to me. It was another big school but at least I grew up with those folks. I keep in touch with a few of those old friends through FB. I am kind of curious how many of my class from that district are in jail or dead. There has to be quite a few.

2. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    kinda like high school. I agree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had over 500 in my class and there is only a small nucleus of people I would even care to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My 40th is in a couple weeks. I haven't attended one yet and don't plan to start.

5. gltomp1

gltomp1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had a graduating class of of 250, and actually knew most of them... they voted me King of the Senior Ball . Still live in the town that I graduated from and only went to the 20th. Our 50th is coming up and I'm actually looking forward to attending it ( even though a bunch of us are on Facebook). It ought to be fun. And if not... like Hooker said, it's only one night. :rolleyes:

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had skipped all of them until the 30th in 2012... it was mildly lame, but it was good to see some of the people that I hadn't seen in years. That being said, like most others, in reality I don't give a rats arse about MOST of these people and the one's that I do care about, I keep in touch with. FB has helped reconnect with some too.

turnout was low in my opinion, considering 90% of them still live there - rural HS & a graduating class of 75 or so. lots of people I expected to be there that still live nearby obviously felt the same way as most of you anti-social introverts and skipped it. But, as already mentioned, likely those of them that do live there see the people they give a darn about and don't care about the rest.

it was fun seeing how people had grown up and how some hadn't really changed at all. one of the dorkiest, picked on kids, is apparently very successful (monetarily) in life unless he was just flat lying and driving a rented vehicle. Our valedictorian & very popular, most likely to succeed guy committed suicide several yeas ago...

overall I am glad I went and if they have another one, I'll probably go.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My 5 year will be coming up next year and I will probably go. It will be nice to drink a beer with some old friends and see how fat all the fit ones got.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was a total loser/dork/outkast in high school, I didn't fit in with anyone or so i thought. I missed my 10 year reunion. finally joined FB in december and found alot of them on there, and now I'm really looking forward to the 20th reunion next year to see people, because everyone is grown up now and are enjoyable to talk to, and honestly probably always were. see what happens when you JUDGE people?

9. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You don't think they won't judge you when they see you again?

But I agree mostly as we grow older we should get along with more people. I had a temper back then and judged people more harshly than now. So I probably get along with a more diverse group of people now.

10. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to my 10 year high school reunion a year ago. It was fine. Honestly though, with Facebook I'm able to keep up with everyone without the reunion. I figure they're usually hookups and wild drunks. I keep up with all my close friends from high school anyways and see them multiple times a year already. I doubt I attend my 20 year one.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been to one yet and don't see the point. My 10 year reunion was 2 years ago and neither my wife nor I even gave it a thought (we went to high school together).

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I always looked at the reunions more as a "where are they now?" Episode. I'm sure had I went to the 20th the same select groups would still be mingled together. Biggest difference is I don't have but 1 concert shirt left :lol:

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll go to mine. We had a 5 year and 10 year, but skipped 15. Scary that 20 is coming up in 2 years.

I graduated in a class of 18 and really don't see any of them on a consistent basis, it's always good to catch up.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do find it quite funny that old people complain that kids today are losing the ability to socialize because of social media, yet there have been several old people in this thread say that they do not need to see their old classmates because they have FB :lol:

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you SO missed their point....but you knew that...

16. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whether that was their point or not, he does raise a valid point. Facebook is a societal problem for the older generation as much as our youth IMO.

I missed our 5 year and caught some flack online about it. I replied I was busy finishing up grad school, take a hike. I had a class of 400 or so, but it's in a medium sized town (80-100k)... I am still best friends with my good buddies from high school, and others that I still consider friends but don't really keep in contact with I see everytime I go out when I am back in town. The other 250 people I wouldn't be able to tell you their name even if I was in the same room as them. I doubt I ever attend one.

I will most definitely be attending my Pharmacy School reunions though. Everyone coming from all over to go to grad school there means we really will never see each other again except for events like this vs HS reunions where all you have to do is visit your hometown.

17. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how many people still live within 25 miles of where they grew up?
    Of those, how many see each other more than once a month?
    Out of those, how many attend all the reunions?

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to my 10 a few years back, I caught myself standing drinking a beer talking to my buddy....who I work with everyday. I have 0 desire to go back to anymore. And no i don't have fb to keep with them.

19. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get to go to my wife's with her this summer. Oh joy.

I told her that I won't be paraded around like the trophy husband I am :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to 8 schools in 4 states from Kindergarten through 12th grade and never was at one for more than a couple of years. I have never went to a reunion and never would.