Picking up a Rebel T3 here within a week...

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by tynimiller, Jun 18, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have any experience with this camera specifically or I guess lenses for Canons that you would recommend? I will be getting two lenses with it; Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens & a EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Lens....

Being 100% honest I know this is entry level and not even close to top of the line but I'm pumped it'll be first DSLR and well over $150 cameraof any kind.

Anything anyone could recommend or share would be awesome. It's primary useage will be stills for website and trophy shots...as well as videos for website as well but won't be a hunting camera for sure as wife won't allow that bahaha! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet, that should get you started. I can't talk specifically about the T3 as I shoot with a Sony A57. I think the lenses should be about what you need to start out. I have an 18-55 and a 70-300, so basically that same lenses.

My only advice is to do your homework and learn how to use the camera to it's fullest potential. DSLR's allow you so much more flexibility in taking a picture and having it turn out the way you want it to. I love shooting with mine, just never have enough time to do everything I want to with it.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah been reading aperture/iso/shutter speed for dummies and man this is gonna be fun...the video mode will be great for my informational videos but stills is gonna be primary useage.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Read all you can, but the best thing to do is get out and shoot! The more you can familiarize yourself with your camera, it's functions and how to change them, the better off you will be.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my new 70D :tu:

5. WhitetailAddict14

WhitetailAddict14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good, cheap lens is the 50mm f/1.8. Only $100 and it has a wide aperture for shallow DOF shots.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the heads up...yeah I can already tell the lenses will be purchases that can eat a ton of cash...but if I am smart I can pick ones that if I ever upgrade come right along over to the new one.

7. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not positive the difference in price right off the top of my head but look into the T3i. The t3i has the flip out screen that makes a huge difference, it shoot higher res video, it has an external mic port. The t3 is like 12 mp and the t3i is 18 so there are quite a few advantages and i love my t3i and i believe you would too.

8. WhitetailAddict14

WhitetailAddict14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my T3i as well.