Release Help

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by jetdriver21, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jetdriver21

jetdriver21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a new owner of a Mathews Z7 Extreme and plan to start elk hunting this fall. I am filling out my accessories and I understand that one of the most important components (after the bow) is a release. I have been back and forth over two different hook style releases and hope that you may offer advice or recommendations. For the $30 difference in the two, I probably shouldn't be this involved. However, it is the ethical and accuracy of shots I am concerned about in the moment of truth lining up meat for the freezer.

For reference, I have been to Cabelas and shot several releases but some options were not available. I have also searched many forums for advice on this very subject but not finding the exact information I am looking for.

First option - Scott Silverhorn, NCS buckle strap, nylon adjuster
    Pros: excellent reputation, less expensive, more options
    Cons: haven't shot this exact model, short trigger

Second option - Tru Fire Hardcore Max
    Pros: less torque, deep hook, nice strap, foldback feature
    Cons: more expensive, some forums have suggested not as high quality as Scott

I like the idea of a light trigger just like my hunting rifle. I want it to break with minimal movement and pressure.

I appreciate your advice and recommendations to get me started off right.

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Both Scott and Tru-Fire make great releases, I have shot both for years. However, while shooting at a friends house last summer, the Scott release broke right above the trigger mechanism mid draw and sent my arrow flying and missed a horse's hoof by mere inches. The Tru-Fire, no complaints whatsoever. Just stay away from velcro straps, they tend to be very noisy putting on, taking off and rubbing against sleeves.

3. Josh

Josh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the TruFire Hardcore and have no complaints. I have shot around 200 times so far with no problems. I have also used a Spot Hogg and liked that as well, just more expensive than the TruFire.

4. NMLongshot

NMLongshot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Scott Wolverine, a single caliper release with a buckle strap and fold back hinge. It hasn't had a problem for 2 years now, but I'm looking for a good backup, and Scott apparently doesn't make this model anymore. I'm leaning toward a Scott Rhino.
    I'm considering a 4-finger release, but I will research that some more.

5. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting the Scott Little Goose velcro for 10 seasons now. Replaced the Velcro strap last year, along with a new knurled peg trigger. I prefer velcro for the ability to adjust "just right".

6. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Scott Mongoose XT and love it.

Scott has my vote, but I agree with the advice to avoid velcro.

7. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your goal is a no travel easy to pull release with a hook style, chech out the spott hogg wise guy. I tried that and no other release compared to it IMO. It was woth the extra money in my eyes.

8. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the TRU Ball Short-N-Sweet and the TRU Ball Fang. Both are awesome releases. I normally shoot a handle release and I always have my Short-N-Sweet in my pack as a back up in case something happens to my handle. I shoot the TRU Ball Fang 3 fingered handle, but it is the same head as the wrist strap and it is an incredible release! You won't be disappointed in any of their releases. Hope this helps and god shooting!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402900861.095930.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402900877.516955.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402900913.152192.jpg

www.truball.com