How many of you plan to downsize and/or move part of the year when retired?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, May 21, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious. I was reading up on something almost entirely unrelated the other day regarding ROW's and driveway length. Someone was inquiring about a 1/2 mile driveway hurting their potential long term resale value if they would want to sell to downsize (they were building a MASSIVE timber frame home on 84 acres).

Anyways, on a pretty much unrelated note, how many of you are planning to downsize and sell your home when you retire? How many of you plan to keep your home and spend your time somewhere else part of the time? If so, will you keep your existing home or sell?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how common it is for people to leave a long term home after they age.

2. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to do as my neighbors

They have 2 homes. 1 next to me, and 1 in rural Wisconsin. When the weather hits 80 here, they go to Wisconsin, and as soon as the weather gets below freezing up there, they come back down to LA.

My goal is to have a summer home on Whidbey Island in Washington.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't even bought my first home... But I don't think I would sell and relocate.

To me a home is a home. I can understand upgrading to something bigger for a family... But once I raise my family in that home I would expect to keep it until I die (unless external forces intervene, etc).

4. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Life should not be about what you do when its over, or what others, think of your likes and dislikes, I would be happier in a tent one 150 acres than an 8000 sq ft mansion on a half acre lot.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My kids will be out of school in (6) years and I will be 45 and will sell current home. I currently have 3300 sq ft with 5 beds and 4 baths and an acre at a lake comm. I will either go to a much smaller home in 6 years at the same location or go rural until I hit about 70. I have not ever lived in a rural home and would like the idea of raising some dogs.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Two possiblities. After the kids are out of the house we move to a hobby farm and then have our current place up north. Or we may sell our current house and the land we own now and buy somewhere else as a hunting/rec homestead in northern Wisconsin.

I don't see us being snow birds. The weather doesn't bother me that much at all.

Either way, I don't see us keeping our current house much after the kids are out of the house.

It is always subject to change though.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    For me, I don't like discussing or planning for life after work since I'm only 29 with no kids yet (the bulk of life is still hopefully ahead of me), but I could see myself moving somewhere warm in the winter. I don't ski nearly as much, and I don't snowmobile. After hunting season, if you don't do either of those, winter can be rather boring in PA especially since our winter's are usually just sleet and freezing rain anymore.

In the meantime, whether we buy or build, I can see us building a larger home than we may need one day. However, depending on how much sweat equity I have into it, I would have trouble downsizing and selling.

8. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's kind of hard to think about retirement too much when I have young ones running and crawling around. But one thing I don't see mentioned here yet, is the desire to be close to your kids/grandkids. It's something I hear my parents talk about. Sure, if your kids are spread out all over the country, that is one thing. But if they're all relatively close, I could see myself wanting to stay close as well.

Kind of along that same thought is having a house big enough to handle everyone when they come back for get-togethers/holidays. Downsizing to a smaller place might make it harder for everyone to get together. So, I see myself staying close to my kids/grandkids if possible with a home big enough to accommodate (like my current one), and then traveling some place warm quite a bit for extended periods in the winter.

But retirement isn't for another 30 or so more years... so the biggest thing I'm focusing on is investments & saving for it!

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want a private modern log cabin on a few hundred acres and will gladly sell my current home. I can't stand all the people, traffic, and commotion of the suburbs.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to one day have 2 homes.I love the NC/TN mountains and I plan on building a 2nd home there. We don't get much snow here and I love having lots of snow.

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love where I live right now. I plan to stay in the home that I have the rest of my life. My wife wants the same thing too, especially since it's on their family farm that they have owned for over 100 years. That being said, I wouldn't mind having a 2nd home maybe on Kentucky Lake. But that's only about 1.5 hours away anyways, so it wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't end up having one there.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't even see myself retiring at this point so I can't imagine goin anywhere else for a part of the year.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to die in my current home so everything I do or have done to it is based on longevity.

Travel even more. Hunt even more. Spend more time with friends and family do both I hope.

And never fully retire just not be needed as much at work.