Storing/Saving Food Plot Seed

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Nissen121523, May 15, 2014.

1. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any harm in storing/saving food plot seed in a Ziplock bag?

Most of my plots are small kill plots about 1/3 acre in size and I don't use up all the seed. I would also be interested in buying seed in a little bit more bulk so to get the price break.

Have any of your stored seed for 1-2 years without having germination/loss of quality in the seed?

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest thing is to keep out moisture. We have kept bags of soybeans and sorghum for a few years without any problems.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it stored in a cool/dry place and you should be fine with many seeds for some time. Pre-inoculated seed is another story. I'm currently storing pre-inoculated clover in my basement for fall planting (will be about 5 months after purchase that it goes into the ground). Shelf life will be a bit more limited with pre-inoculated seeds.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ took the words from my mouth!

5. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just germinated tomato seeds that were 7 years old, 7 out of 10 came up. This year I planted clover seed that was 3 years old and I got good germination and a nice stand. Seeds are tuff. Q

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best place to put seed is in the freezer in a sealed bag or pail...why? It is low humidity and constant temperature. It is one of the first things I mention when I do seminars. Most are surprised by this but I was educated on this by the guy who was the biggest grower of a popular farm and wildlife seed....and he's been in the business his whole life.