Is 'name brand' MBA worth the $$

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tfarah22, May 15, 2014.

1. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For those business people out there, I am looking at getting my MBA. Now I did my undergraduate at a private university and left school with a nice chunk of debt. I am not looking at getting my MBA. Now I have found some online options that are strictly online and do not have campuses, so the cost less money. But they are not the 'name brand' universitys. Do you think that the name matters? The company I am with now with help pay for my schooling, the amount they pay would almost pay for the online degree, but not a name brand college. I just can't see myself wanting to go into more debt over this. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Also if there is anyone out there that hires, your input would also be helpful.

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only hire 007s from "The Bond Academy"

3. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always look at it like this...I'm deciding between two people for a job, similar qualifications, but one has an MBA from Online U. and the other has an MBA from Indiana University's Kelly School of Business. I'm going to lean toward the person with the degree from the 'name' university. Is it fair? No, but that is just how it goes.

4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't have the experience to back up the degree, a name brand university can help you immensely in getting the job.

5. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very sage advice.

6. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If debt is a main concern (which is a great concern IMO) and your company will cover the online one...that is sweet.

The big name U will always be chosen over the non name U, with all other things being equal IMO... interview, experience, etc.

7. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get an online mba degree. Before you go get an mba make sure you can get into a good school, remember it's not what you know for your mba that matters it's the prestige and connections that your school gives you that matters the most. Phoenix and devry all try to spin that it doesn't matter but I guaranty it does.

8. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you saying getting a free online MBA is not worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess where I am at, I can get the online degree for practically free. Or I can wait a few years till I can afford a better one. Is there any harm in getting a online one though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No schooling is bad schooling, what you get out of your degree, matters as much with your future plans, moving to a city, children, marriage and earnings potential.
    Or are you getting this education for personal gain, as in starting your own business and prospering as you see fit, there are many ways to become rich, and not all are dependent on another mans visions for your life.

11. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find a university with a PHD program, tell them you have your masters from this online university and see if they will let you get your PHD from them. There are institutions that claim to be fully accredited that are not. Other institutions know this and so do some employers.

12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know. When you apply to grad schools they want to see all the places you've gone to school at. I do know that my friend took online course through Ucla extension to do a few more business classes and eventually got into duke mba, but he did already have an actual undergrad.

If anything what it'll do is show them that either you can maintain your good grades or that you messed around in college and now you can get good grades. The bad thing Is that unlike me, you can't come back and say so much you messed around In undergrad when directly after you did grad school. Not too much development time or life experiences like I've had

Also I do know from talking to one grad school prof that if you get a grad degree and you go to another, they may ask why you're trying to get another. I guess there are people out there who just like to get multiple grad degrees.

I can't tell you your chances of getting into another MBA if you already have one. It may be a discriminator. What might be good is to take individual courses to retake for better grade that you didn't do so well in undergrad. Or you know taking a language or some math to show that you want to continue your education when you later apply to grad school. Just make sure you have a job and are doing things more than this online degree if you do pursue it. I'd go out on a limb and tell you to get an actual job, not a bartender or Abercrombie. But I don't totally know the system or your life. These are just my guesses from what I've heard and researched.

I just know that other than courses I'll be taking to show that I can get good grades and taking math/language classes, I'll be staying away from online degrees. They still have the online dating stigma but a bit worse in my opinion.

13. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Oh to answer your original question. Yes most definitely the name brand is worth it. But if I'm paying out my butt it better be within top 20 mba in the nation.

14. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends a lot on the profession you're trying to get into... in regards to the type of grad degree you need to get. Obviously, many employers hire based on experience the most, though you need to have a certain level of degree to meet the requirements. Also, I'd recommend having a fair amount of experience in the field you want to be in prior to getting the Grad degree. I made that mistake and straight up had people tell me I was overqualified for the position(that suited my experience), though I didn't have enough experience for the positions that having a grad degree were typically suited for. I'm glad that's corrected now

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    degrees from "For Profit" online universities are worthless, nobody takes them seriously

you can find an online program for a MBA with a traditional college, almost all of the majors will offer them now

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it's worth it...if your going to spend the time and money for an MBA you might as well get it someplace generally recognized and well received.

17. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is skipping over the fact that my company would be paying. If i go somewhere else, they are only going t be paying a portion. If money were not a option then yes of coarse I would go to the best school. But unfortunately that is not how this world works.

18. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Um is your company also going to give you a raise on top of that and a better job position when you complete? If so I don't see the dilemna

I've taken into consideration the free degree. Just know that you may have a problem getting another actual mba. But I may be wrong.