Team 4 Official Thread.......

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Rick James, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Rack Pack sounds good to me , I'll be scouting around some public land tomorrow.
    I might get some pictures to post if I see something of intrest , gotta another treestand to put up before the season starts.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The rack pack sounds good to me as well. Let's see if we can get another two votes for it that would be majority.

Also, I'm sending Countryboy95 a PM about our team to see if he plans to participate, if not I'll let Justin know to get us an alternate.

3. Rick James

Dislikes Received:

Hey now, I know there are at least a couple of us that consistently put some bone on the ground!! :p

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    So I figured I would post up a bit about myself. I will hunt both PA and NY this year.

My season starts 9/26 in the northern Adirondack zone in Hamilton County, NY. I'll be hunting a combination of private and public paper company ground up in the big woods.

I'll be at my camp in Bradford County, PA the following weekend (10/3) for the opener there, and will be down there for a couple weekends through the season, as well as several days in November.

After the third weekend in October, I'll be spending quite a bit of time at my best buds camp in the NY southern zone, his camp is in Otsego County. Between his property, a few neighbors properties that I've got permission to hunt, as well as an adjoining piece of public property, I've got a couple thousand acres in there to hunt.

I don't know what I'll contribute to this year, but I know each of the properties I hunt have and hold mature P&Y caliber bucks. I've seen them consistently every year over the past 5 years or so, but am yet to tag a true stud. I've managed to shoot quite a few 90-100" bucks in the 2.5 to 3.5 year old class over the last few years, but this year I'm really going to hold out for a personal best buck.

Anyone else care to share some info on where they hunt, or what they are after? Maybe some previous year success stories?

5. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am only in my third year of bowhunting. My season starts september 12 in our expanded archery zone and our regular season starts Oct 1, that is when i can hunt around my house. During the expanded zone season i will be hunting an apple orchard as well as some other areas.I took my first deer last year with my bow, a 10 point buck that scored 107 inches. I shot him about 500 yards from my house. I am going to Illinois in Nov, hunting the 12-18. The outfitter is my old bosses brother and they have a good 190+ buck they are putting me on, but I will be honest, a succesful hunt would be to see alot of quality deer.In Maine to see a deer is a succesful hunt.I look forward to sharing my season this year with everyone. And rack pack is fine with me.

6. Rick James

Dislikes Received:

Good luck my friend. I know how tough New England hunting can be, I grew up and learned how to hunt in Vermont!

7. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out to a new patch of public land this mornning and saw some nice trees to put a stand in and a few place's to set my ground blind.
    As I was scouting the area I bumped two yearling does and there mother, what was diffrent about the young does is that looked to be pieblads.
    I'll be checking this area more offten with hopes that I'll be luckly enough to see their daddy, whould be nice he's a pieblad too.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Dmen was on my HNI team last year. That was a horse sized buck that he shot last season. I hope he's just as lucky/good with Illinois and Maine deer this year.

Season opens Oct 1st here. I'm going to be hunting primarily on some University property (Allerton) about 60 miles from home. (if I finish my volunteer hours first) Because it's a bit of a drive I don't get to hunt there as often as I like. It's public ground and like any huntable public ground, I'll see more people than deer and the deer are very unpredictable. Still, it's better than most public land in Central IL so it's worth the drive. There's a place (Mackinaw River State Fish and Wildlife Area) about 10 minutes from home that I'll probably go to when I get up too late to drive to the other place.

It doesn't look like I'll have the money to go to Brown County IL this year. That's a bummer because the deer density out there is unreal.

9. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, well for me to tell a little about myself.

I, like Rick James, hunt PA & NY. My PA hunting consists of hunting a small track of private land that has given me ample opportunities at some good bucks in the years. I have a few from that piece the went from 100-118 inches, now with AR in PA I have seen an improvement in quality. I usually get out to hunt this piece 3-4 times a week. Best part is that this corridor runs East/West and the winds are usually out of the north making this stand possible to hunt most everyday

Now for NY, I have 300 acres of private land that from this year, planted 4 acres of food plots. 2 acres of Chicory Plus and 2 acres (just planted) of Shot Plot. I will hunt this primarly once the season opens. So far this year I have seen a few good bucks and have the trail cameras out.

Oh yea, I like to go elk hunting too...but that doesn't count.

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Where in NY? Good luck to you!

11. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in Chautauqua County which is as far west as you can get.

12. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Uh hmm .... excuse me but we need to keep our team on the front page so the countryboy95 guy can find it.
    In the mean time are we going with the ' Rack Pack ' name and is Rick James gonna take the role as our captian ?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I say we make it Rack Pack for the name. If you guys want me as captain, I'm game for that. I just don't want to be the deciding vote for it.

I've sent a note to Justin about Countryboy95, he said to give it a few more days and if no notice then he will provide an alternate. It's been a couple of days now since I sent Countryboy95 a message, so I think it's safe to say we will likely end up with someone else shortly.

Going to probably pull the bow out next week and start getting it tuned well and all dialed in. Opening day is just about 5 weeks away, and I'm starting to really get antsy, I can't believe another summer has come and gone.

This weekend I'm gonna hang a stand on a new property that I have personally seen a 135"+ buck on for 2x years in a row during the late season. I will be able to get in there early for the NY northern zone opener on 9/26 and I'm hoping to find his bedroom. I will also likely hang a camera and see if I can get a few pics. My cousin found his shed last winter, so I know he at least made it through the hunting season safe and sound, I'm hopeful that I'll find more sign of him over the next couple of weeks.

Anyone have any bucks in particular they are going to try and get on? Let's hear about them!

14. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the 2 acre food plot I have planted and I got some pics of bucks this size not far from it. Sort of thinking something a little bigger for me this year, but

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is a different buck, have him 3 times same spot always fuzzy...but he appears heavier could be from the bad pic though ?
    [​IMG]

15. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Those are both pretty good bucks for NY or PA! Remember guys, if everyone shot a 100" buck, we would be at the top of the leader board! I think we have a stronger team here than some of those other guys have given us credit for.

Anyone here a nanny whacker too? I plan to put at least one down this year, we sure have some big ones at my camp and my buds place in NY.

16. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Rick James for El Capitan. Rack Pack works for me. (tho' I smirk)

I have no buck in particular I'm gunning for. I'm hoping for a 125"+ buck that's at least 15" wide. I did pass on a couple of them on the public ground I hunted last year so it's not out of the scope of possiblities.

I have to kill a doe before I can kill a buck so at the very least I hope to put up 50 points. (I tagged 3 antlerless deer during archery season last year)

Elkhuntinut, that second buck picture does look heavier. ? Looks like a shooter to me. :)

17. elkhuntinut

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Rick, I am planning on taking a flathead the first weekend of NY....just need a little a deer meat in the fridge and some points on our board.

Christine, I think the same thing, I like the fact that I have 3 pics of 3 different bucks from this camera, all of them daytime both evening and the am..heck I have one at 11:50 am !!! What even is more amazing is that they are going the same direction and in the exact same spot....wierd..

PS...Rick for Captain

18. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HMMMMMMMM... Christine I think you might fit more into the name
    Team Total Package Rack...yep (tho' I smirk) ;)

19. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    LOL.

I'll have you know that I wrote and then deleted my original response. Don't wan't to make the guys blush. :D

20. RDHunter

RDHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool ... ( Rack Pack ) it is and Captian Rick James leading the team.
    I can see our team avatar now ... a picture of Christine up front and center and the rest of us with our eyes bulging out. L O L . ( just kidding ) Christine.

Yea Rick ... I'm a ( nanny whacker) I always try to get a doe the first week of the season ( gotta bless the bow ) short of speakand get some meat in the freezer.
    I am after this one buck I've seen a few times , he seems to be a nice tall tined eight pointer but I'll gladly take a shot at a bigger one if it happens to walk within bow range.