Lymes Disease...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, May 1, 2014.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I figured I'd give everyone a heads and a reminder about Lymes Disease.

I was diagnosed with Lymes two years ago. I never pulled a tick out of me or noticed a rash. Just felt run down and flu like for weeks on end. My joints hurt, headaches, just overall miserable feeling.

Well, I started feeling that way again this spring and went to the docs, requesting another Lymes test. Sure enough, somehow or another, I got it again. Back on the meds and feeling much better after about 3 days of it. I have only entered the woods here one time since last fall, to shed hunt. We've had sub zero temps and lots of snow on the ground to keep me from venturing out too much.

The ticks are really bad this year already in PA. I'm hearing lots of guys complaining about them. The extreme cold has little effect on them, despite some belief that it will kill them.

Our turkey season starts this Saturday. I just got done putting a second treatment of Sawyers on all my gear, so I should be good to go. But that does not mean that you shouldn't check yourself each and every time you exit the woods. Keep vigilant and look yourself over. Trust me, if you haven't gotten Lymes yet, its no picnic. Treat your clothing and undress outside your home. Take a shower afterwards. I know it sucks. I can't believe we have to go through so much to keep them at bay, but its worth it to prevent getting the stuff. I've been pretty vigilant myself, but it still wasn't enough.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, good warning. Diagnosed with Lyme in 2009 after having a tick on me during spring gobbler season (actually saw it on me and had it removed...started treatment right away). Had another one on me this past fall in my arm of all places. Nothing came of that.

I do believe the escalation of the one primary health issue I've been facing was triggered by my Lyme.

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had it last year as well. Same story. Never seen a tick or a bullseye but after feeling crappy for awhile I went to the doctor. I've seen more ticks so far this year then ever before.

4. WISCOZ7

WISCOZ7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I just ordered a jug of permethrin off Amazon. I'm gonna be using that stuff all the time this year. I went shed hunting this year and seriously flicked at least 30 ticks off my pants throughout the day. I never found one on me thankfully. I've been using deet while out in the woods the last couple weeks, and haven't had anymore on me. I can't wait to get that permethrin though, it's apparently odorless which will be a lot nicer that spraying down with Off.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear it Muzzyman. Feel better and thanks for the reminder.

6. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any other symptoms from Lymes disease? What kind of treatment did they put you on and for how long? I was tested last week and am waiting on the results...

7. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me the antibiotics were worse than the lymes itself. Working construction I fried in the sun and it killed my stomach. I'm much more careful about ticks now.

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel fortunate to have never had it. I've been bitten hundreds of times the last couple years. Usually by seed ticks, I hate those little bastards.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The symptoms I mentioned were pretty much it. I noticed i also felt like I couldn't focus at work, and just generally felt like hell and only wanted to sleep. Pretty much like a nasty flu. They put me on doxytriclene (sp?) which is the normal med for this stuff. Twice a day for 21 days.

It does mess up your stomach pretty bad if you take it on an empty stomach. Other than that, once on it, you usually feel better in a couple of days.

10. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here ive been bitten so many times and have yet to get it (knock on wood) . Last season i picked 12 off me one day it was bad last year they where everywhere. im ordering sawyers or permethrin this year after last season thats for sure.

11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have read that mosquitoes can transmit Lyme too. Not sure if the scientists that wrote the article are correct, but mosquitoes can spread a lot of bad stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that bro. Thanks for sharing. You can't be too careful. Take NO CHANCES!!

13. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang... glad you got it early this time.

14. Wonoma

Wonoma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live on Nantucket, this place is notorious for ticks and Lyme disease. First of all, they don't die even if the winter was very cold, because they produce a chemical that acts as antifreeze. I'm in the woods every weekend and the only thing that works well for me is Elimitick camo. I also check myself every time I come home and pull my socks over my pants. Lyme is not a joke, I actually know somebody that is handicapped because of it. Even if treated it will stay in your blood forever reappearing from time to time, usually every year. As a matter of fact, Nantucket residents are not allowed to be blood donors. Try Elimitick, I swear by it(knock on wood).

15. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been there done that... May/June 2012. I remember feeling literally dead on my feet. It got to the point where audible noises were so amplified in my head it would make me dizzy. Everything hurt, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep at night, couldn't stay awake during the day, night sweats, low grade fever, horrible bullseye rashes all over my entire body. Antibiotics were making me puke by week 3. Definitely have to be careful out there... before then I could care less about ticks.... and it got me, though I never found a tick.

16. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After 25 years of being in the hunting industry, I have met quite a few with Lymes Disease. It can be some nasty stuff that could be avoided with Permethrin. It can be bought cheap at Tractor supply. About $10 will do over 10 gallons. Just spray it on your clothing and let it dry.

17. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great information here guys and gals...keep it coming!

18. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap bro, I didn't know it got you that bad! I won't even hit the woods without being sprayed down anymore.