Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by TwoBucks, Apr 30, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is the life expectancy on trail cameras? Our seem to be breaking after a couple years and it's causing my brother to not want to out them out until summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on the camera you are dealing with and how you treat them. I would be more than happy if I got 3-5 years out of a cam - But everyone is different.

3. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    What is the best camera on a tight budget? I can't spend 100+ on a camera right now... Or I could just wait until my brother finally let's me put out his cameras

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few that are 5+ years old and going strong and well some brands never make it a year. So if your cam has a year warranty I would run its legs off. If it's going to fail this seems like when it's going to happen. What cam did you get.

Look at the dlc covert me5 cams.I think wing supply online has the best deals on them. Batter life is unreal and great pics with easy setup.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  5. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Covert MPE-5. Very good camera for the money. link below is for macks pw, as Wings supply is not showing any at this time but i would keep an eye out there if your not in a hurry. Both place will be $70. WS you might be able to use a promo code to save 10%

DLC Covert MP-E5 Scouting Trail Camera at MacksPW.com

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my cams are over 5yrs old and still going strong. The only cam I ever had that didn't last more than 2yrs was a Bushnell trophycam and Bushnell replaced it at no charge with an upgraded model. It's been going strong ever since. I've got three or four cams that have never seen the inside of the house since I put them out, one being a Moultrie and the other a Covert, that have not seen the inside in over 2yrs.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Im just not excited about spending $80 bucks right now.. Im planning to spend a couple hundred on a LW Assault 2 as well plus new arrows and possibly a new rest and stabilizer. I cant wait until I graduate and can afford this stuff!

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got one Reconyx that's 7 years old and another Reconyx that's 6 years old. Well over 100,000 pictures in both cams. I've sent each one in once and that was last year. Yet Reconyx warrantied the problems which I had no clue they were going to do as the warranty's were off 5+ years ago. I was planning on paying for the repairs and would've had no problem in doing so. Best service I've ever dealt with.

Yes Reconyx cams are expensive and over priced but you don't see me replacing them like so many other people do on other brands.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    What are these companies like when your camera breaks after the warranty? Can you get them fixed for cheap?

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, had the same situation and I wasn't even the original owner of the camera. They still fixed the camera and sent it back to me for free. Also Bushnell was very good about taking care of me when one of their cameras failed.

Blessings........Pastorjim

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got 2 Wildgame Innovation cameras, one that is about 6-7 years old and another is about 4-5 years old and both are still kicking. They are battery hogs and don't take the best of quality so I would like to upgrade sooner rather than later but I definitely got my moneys worth.

13. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Covert MPe5 if your tight on budget. I have had one just around a year and still works like new. Best cam for your dollar. I always get new cams after about 2-3 years to get the newest ones on the market but that's cause I always need new stuff.......bad habit

14. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out of my 10 Coverts, I have only had to send one back in two years. It was taking a green pic every 4 pics or so. I sent Pat a message, he sent me an RA#, and I got a brand new cam back in less than a week. Ill take that kind of service every day :tu:

15. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look seriously at the Stealth G42NG if you're looking for Black Flash. Plus they have true HD video...........:D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wildgrams three years old 6mp. run it till it breaks or (hopefully not) gets stolen. Thinking if I get a new one it will be a covert or something else

17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Arent those models expensive?

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most places are retailing the G42NG for $150-$160. You can find the G30 (similar camera, no black flash) for $120-ish.

As for life expectancy of a trail camera I'm in agreeance with some of the other guys. I have some camera that are running strong after 4-5 years of constant use and abuse, and I've had others crap out after a year. Seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model. Personally I'm happy with a 3 year average.

19. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with this. I have a Primos Truth 35 that has been going for I believe 6 years now. I have a Moultrie M80x that has died 3 times, luckily all within warranty. Other Moultries I've had run at least 3+ with no issues.

20. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you Google the G42 you can find them for $129.