XXX Team 11 - Official Thread XXX

Discussion in '2014 Turkey Contest' started by gltomp, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a pretty eventful morning. The 3 amigos flew down at 5:50 this morning straight across the field from me. They were gobbling like crazy, and so were about 7 or 8 other birds. They ended up walking to 60 yards and gobbling for almost an hour straight, but they wouldn't come to the decoys. For some reason they seem to be really timid about the strutter decoy. While that was going on I had 3 other gobblers in the other field next to me gobbling back at the gobblers in front of me. And there were 3 more gobblers further down from them coming my way too. And further down the field from them was another gobbler by himself.

The 3 birds 60 yards from me ended up skirting around me and going into the woods behind me. The whole time they kept gobbling. The other gobblers went the other way with some hens. So at this point I've had enough and run back to the truck to grab my shotgun. I grabbed my gun and headed to where the 3 birds went to the woods.

I went back and forth with those 3 for the next couple hours. They just wouldn't come in. They kept gobbling, but eventually I had to walk away from them. As I was leaving, I thought I heard some gobbles in the opposite direction. So I sat there a few minutes and waited, and sure enough I hear 2 gobbles not too far away. So I sat down and gave a few soft purrs and yelps and here they come. I could see 2 nice gobblers heading my way and was ready to mow one down. They got to 35 yards and stopped, looking for the hen. At this point I was ready to shoot since I wasn't in the best setup. So, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. And what happened? I freakin missed! I don't know how, but I completely whiffed. All I could do was laugh about it (well either that or cry).

So, tomorrow morning I'm gonna set up along the field road in my blind and not even put a decoy out. I'll just wait and see what happens, because the last couple mornings birds have walked at a certain point along that road. I'm sure they are starting to get spooky because of my screw ups, so I'm just gonna try the ol ambush in the morning and hopefully I'll get one.

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds really exciting Snake! I think birds become call shy really quick. I'd try to hide the bind if you can. Go with a single hen. Wait until after fly down and give them just a couple clucks to let them know you are there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Alissa Kay

Alissa Kay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No hunting for me until the weekend. My guide has to work tomorrow then has Friday/Sarurday/Sunday off. We went out and scouted last night and have been shooting every day so I feel pretty good! If only a bird cooperates and comes in we will be in business!

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love to see out team have 3-4 birds on the board by Monday morning. :p

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how snake did this morning. The suspense is killing me. You guys really need to give field updates!

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't do any good. I only got to hunt for about 1.5 hours before I had to go to work. Had 4 different birds gobbling, but they got with hens and shut up. I'm off all day tomorrow, so hopefully I have a little more luck.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to stay after them snake!

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't do any good today. I heard one gobble, but it stormed here last night and the wind was blowing pretty good this morning. I watched 4 gobblers all morning out on a field. I followed them along the inside of the woods until I was finally close enough to sneak up over a little levee and shoot. He was standing at 30 yards with his head up and somehow I didn't hit him. This is the 3rd time already this week that I have missed with the shotgun. I've never missed a bird until this year and have been using the same gun and shells for a long time. I don't know what the deal is. I think that there is seriously something wrong with either the gun or shells. I shot it the other day and the pattern looked fine so I don't know what to think about it. I think it's a sign to strictly bow hunt!

9. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta give you all a heads up on our hunt. Alissa Kay killed a great 3 year old first morning out with her Mathews Jewel over the decoys! Will keep you guy posted on everything else and a photo as soon as I retouch them. 10" beard, 1 inch white spurs with black tips and 22#! I love hunting the morning following a rainy day. Always gets those birds fired up and movin! Keep after em Snake.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah!!!! Way to go Alissa Kay! I think we are going to be the team to beat!

11. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    _V5A5831.jpg

This is the second time it has happened first morning out. She is "lucky"!

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice picture!

Alissa Kay,

Your score is 22 + 10 + 10 + 20 = 62!!!

Way to go!!!

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

Our team score is now 175.5!!!!
    :woot:

14. Alissa Kay

Dislikes Received:
    Woot woot! I think team 11 is a force to be reckoned with!

15. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bird Alissa, congrats. Can't wait for my season to begin!

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If Alissa Kay gets her bird up on the scoreboard ASAP team 11 will have put the last 3 birds on the board back to back!

17. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bird! Congrats! Sure wish I could contribute something.

18. Alissa Kay

Dislikes Received:
    Ok all posted up!

19. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    What I have learned over the years about turkey hunting from friends and experience is patience and calling (and I'm still not a good caller). I also do twice as much scouting from a distance and the mornings that don't work out, I remember and try to figure out why. Adapting as a hunter can make the difference. I use a blind 99% of the time which allows me to move a little bit to stay comfortable without spooking turkey that would otherwise see that. Also knowing what birds do at different times of the day can also help you adapt to henned up gobblers in the mornings. I also call less than I did when I began. I didn't have anyone to teach me early on so I was forced to learn fast on my own.

20. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I should also mention that I love a good looking decoy such as Dakota Decoys hen and arrogant jake. I am not a fan of full strut toms as it has hung birds up for me more than created success. Try different things snake and observe what happens. I rigged up fishing line to a full strut decoy, laid the fan down and made it turn and twist with the fishing line. Helped alissa kill her first turkey. The movement and a semi strut pose where gobblers are henned up could help draw a dominant bird in to range. Keep the decoy close and facing you. I have my decoys around 10-12 yards when I bowhunt, maybe slightly further away with a gun depending on how the pattern looks at different distances. Good luck guys