What do you prefer accuracy or speed ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by solocamin1, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can shoot enough and practice enough you can have both. Speed and accuracy both. Accuracy comes down the shooter more than the bow IMO.

2. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy, noise level, vibration and then speed for me.

3. diesel305

diesel305 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Easy! Accuracy!

~Mathews Helim~

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell that to the long bow guys shooting too slow and too heavy arrows.... :) Speed kills nothing...putting it where it needs to go does. Speed is a factor of how your bow performs and is nice to have but in my opinion I will sacrifice nothing simply for speed...especially not accuracy, momentum or penetration.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why is it that everyone thinks speed decreases accuracy?

This thread confuses me.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    haha I know and my response may have gave the same sentiments. I don't think increased speed correlates directly to decrease in accuracy, however it naturally does have the "potential" for less accuracy as is natural with specs one must accomplish with the bow to reach higher speeds (lesser BH, higher poundage and other various factors). Someone before nailed it thought, if you are willing to practice a ton, a high poundage, low bh bow, set up with hard heavy hitting arrows can accomplish great speed, pack a ton of momentum and be super accurate with practice.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's what is given up for it. Lighter arrows, lower brace, aggressive cams etc.

There needs to be a balance.

Low brace and aggressive cams are great in the accuracy department for most in the backyard but when the temps drop, and you're leaning out around a tree with a broadhead tipped arrow, will you still be able to hit the mark?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

8. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I see what you're saying and I agree, but...

At what point does a bow shoot fast enough where speed becomes a limiting factor? I am shooting a 350 fps bow with a 6" brace height. Now, with my shorter draw (27.5) and heavy arrows (472 grains) I am sitting at 275 fps. Is it fast by longer draw length or IBO standards? No. Is it fast by my DL and arrow weight? Smoking. I think speed and accuracy is all really relative to each individual setup.

I'm going to toss out a few hypothetical numbers for a comparison. Lets say we have a 450 grain arrow with a 15% FOC shooting at the same speed as a 350 grain arrow with a 9% FOC. I think we can all agree that the heavier arrow will be more accurate/consistent. What about if we increase the speed on the heavier arrow by 20 fps at the same draw weight. Is the lighter arrow going to become more apparently accurate now? I'm saying no.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. But I think recent innovations need to also be noted. Did you ever get the chance to shoot the Bowtech 101? It was an awfully brutal draw. NO valley. Now compare that to the Insanity, with a higher IBO rating, which draws insanely smooth for the draw. Speed bows are not what they used to be. Except for PSE...Junk;)

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree there have been substantial improvements in this area but there still needs to be a balance between the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

11. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I still see far too many people trying everything to get a faster arrow. Like dropping 15 grains by switching from a 100grn head to an 85grn is going to make a huge difference, lol.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I agree...but I also hold to the idea one cannot expect accuracy to raise by increasing speed...something far too many people apparently believe by their arrow selections and "reasons" for bow purchases.

Speed is something people can buy and is why it is marketed so much...we are a consumer based culture that buys things simply because we can and have to have the "next best thing"...accuracy isn't something someone can buy persay...it must be achieved with practice.

Which is why accuracy isn't pushed by bow manufacturers, bow shops or "pro-staffers"...it doesn't sell them merchandise as normal...but now stating "the new insert bow has pushed another 10lbs without sacrificing accuracy or other non-factual things which are only achieved with time on the range.

13. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this is a good story from me. My Buddy and I were shooting and he told me that he was more accurate than I was. So I told him he can shoot the right target with two arrows which is clear and obviously not beat up target and I will shoot the beat up target with one arrow. I have a 50lbs bow while he has a 70lbs bow. My DL is 26in and his is 30in. Obviously I have decent speed while he has all the speed he wants. Needless to say a good balance of accuracy and speed, is what is best for Archery. Archery for the longest time was all about throwing arrows in the air and hoping it would hit something. Now it is a sport of accuracy. With that said accuracy is my choice.
    Ability.jpg

And yes that is an X at 40 yds.

14. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what set up you chose one still needs to practice like hell to be accurate *** hell. That being said, I'd still pick my PSE OMEN, or other similarly fast bow and shoot my 450 grain arrows. I have enough ke or momentum or whatever other scientific rating is popular to minimize my game running away with half an arrow hanging out of it. I watch a lot of hunt videos where it seems like people are only getting pass throughs with perfect double lung shots between the bones or soft tissue. I see more times game running off, arrow hanging out, some lucky enough to see them drop in sight. Google any popular broadhead right now and there's always reviews from some on lack of penetration or spotty blood trails, I'd be willing to bet much of it comes down to not shooting a heavy enough arrow fast enough..........shoot fast and shoot heavy. Practice with that until you're accurate then hit the woods

15. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the question should be consistency not accuracy. I tried the speed bow thing and yes I could shoot as we'll but with more oopsies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Me Too!

The post above makes more sense to me. I have no issue shooting my 6.25" BH 340ibo Revenge at 65 lbs. 28.5" DL. I was at 300fps in my Chrono. Now since I went little heavier arrow. I'm at 285-290 fps. Killed a quit a few deer with it last year. I like the 6"-7" BH bow's better myself. It's all what someone likes. My draw is smooth, good valley on my PSE. Now the Bowtech I bought yesterday had great valley and smooth draw too. I guess it's what people likes, it feels different to each person.

17. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried saying that a balance of the two is best.

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why not have both....I do.

19. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy all day. Speed just allows you to miss faster.

20. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i've never really cared about speed. if i can kill with my longbow, then speed isn't a real issue to me. for me, accuracy is with the archer. as far as the bow, i prefer a quiet, smooth drawing bow.

i think i found the right combination in the two bows i own, the Bowtech Commander and Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo. =)

that said, since i believe the bulk of accuracy rests in the archer, i believe a speed bow can be equally accurate to a non speed bow.