First Bow: PSE Vision or PSE Surge?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by sedasonic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello y'all,

I'm intending to buy my brand new first bow. So, I got a doubt which one is the best between these 2.

Purpose: Have fun, target and field. I'm not going to hunt or get in tournaments. I intend to go to the forest and put some target with unknown distance sometimes. I would like to buy a bow to use for at least 3 years without change it.

2014 PSE Vision Ready to Hunt Compound Bow Package - Hunter's Friend
    2014 PSE Vision - $499.00
    IBO Speed: 306 FPS
    A2A Length: 33''
    Brace Height: 7''
    Draw Weights: 15-70''
    Draw Length: 12-30''
    Bow Mass: 4.2 Lb
    Bow Finish: Infinity Camo
    Eccentrics: Twin Cam
    Let-off: 70% Standard

2014 PSE Surge Ready to Hunt Compound Bow Package $599 - Hunter's Friend
    2014 PSE Surge - $599.00
    IBO Speed: 320 FPS
    A2A Length: 32.5''
    Brace Height: 7.25''
    Draw Weights: 30-70''
    Draw Length: 19.5-30''
    Bow Mass: 4.3 Lb
    Bow Finish: Infinity Camo
    Eccentrics: Mr Single Cam
    Let-off: 75% Standard

Thank y'all in advance.

2. rawk

rawk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    look at the brute X you should be able to find a RTH package for around $400. Also look at the sinister around $00+

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I purchased the PSE Stinger 3G package from Hunters Friend for $535. Absolutly loved it. Set up perfect for my dimensions, harvested 3 deer last year with and and have nothing bad to say about that bow. Look into this one as well and decide what you like the best! Good Luck, GROMMEL

4. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Surge 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. The 'bow technician' jacked up the install so I am in the process of redoing everything myself. I love it. Keep in mind I have very little feeling in my hands, but I feel little vibration or hand shock when I shoot it. I was able to test the noise. The guy next to me was shooting a loaded Matthews Z7 and I was able to do a sound comparison. On the android app I have for sound levels (in dB) at 5 feet he was getting an average of 87 dB (with a base background of 53 dB). The surge had only the limb silencers, and a (poorly adjusted) string stop, and I was getting 84 dB at the same 5 feet (at least that is what the shop owner said it was reading). I do not think the readings were accurate nor precise, but I do believe they give an indication that it at least is a reasonably quiet bow. I believe it pulls back smooth, the valley is not terribly deep, and short. At 20 yds I was getting 4" groups, but really that means nothing as the peep was migrating all over the place and the arrows were a mix of lengths and mass.

5. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem with PSE Stinger 3G is about my draw length. My draw length is 25" and the range for this bow is 25.5-30.5".

6. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I already looked at the brute X and Sinister, but I really would like to buy the Vision or Surge... I'm still in doubts about which one I should choose.

7. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are very similar bows, the primary physical difference being that of cams, with the Surge being a single cam and the Vision being a dual cam. Shoot both then decide, that's what I did.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha! My draw lenght is 28" well, best of luck finding what you want, GROMMEL.

10. sedasonic

sedasonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is no place here to try the bow. That's why I'm asking for opinions and experience. You're talking about cam. So, which one do you prefer (single cam or dual cam)?