Do you get nervous?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ATbuckhunter, Apr 6, 2014.

1. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just dropped 1865 on a new auto loader. If I have it to spend it doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

2. InBuckHunter

InBuckHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is still a lot of numbers & you don't get the full impact of it until the first few payments, when you realize you will be paying that until 30 years from now.
    I had some real shakes when I paid the contractor the full $16,000+ for a new 2 1/2 car garage addition I had put on to my house.
    I had the cash saved up from over 20 years & it all went out in one personal check, I almost couldn't sign my name.
    I'm sure the guy thought I was some kind of retard, but I was shaking that bad.

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The house was a hell of a deal. The older gent who sold it to us, wanted a family living in it. We were his neighbors for about three years and got along with him great. Never felt guilty about spending that money. 4 year loan to pay it off. :) It was an easy move. Carried everything right across the street.

Cars on the other hand... yes. We always buy used so you are worried a little that you might end up with someone's lemon. So far we have had pretty good luck with all our vehicles.

I've never pay over $700 for a bow or rifle so no guilt trips there.

Wife does feel guilty when she buys furniture, jewelry or even clothes for herself. She is tight with our money and a real penny pincher. I usually make her spend more then she wants to get better quality stuff. I remember when we were first married and raising kids. She would buy cheap and then was never happy as it just didn't last or look that good. I've never regretted making her spend more for better things. She is happy so I am happy.

Tim

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That's a Keeper! Sound Advice .. but then again my bow was well over seven bills....ooops.

I do think it wise to evaluate things but sometimes you just need to feel the wind in your hair.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any problems spending the big amounts of money. It is the small amounts that I have trouble with. I have so many things on my wish list that are high dollar that every time I go shopping I grab some small stuff and as I am standing in line I then start to contemplate my purchase and often put stuff back because I would rather wait and get the large thing instead. Normally I would say this is fine but I often do find myself days, weeks or months later then kicking myself for not just getting the small thing or things that I originally was getting and then regretting it.

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. It'll warm you up for when you buy your first home.

It's only money. Go out and make some more:)

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Regardless of how much money I make, it always comes down to want and worth. I have to really want it, and it has to be worth what I am paying, whether it's somthing that costs $5 or $5000. There are somethings I wouldn't buy even if I made a million dollars, because they just aren't worth it to me.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm usually so excited for whatever the big purchase is that any nerves don't register. Even when we've bought our cars or our house in Duluth.

9. kywhitetails

kywhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not as bad as a I used to be about getting nervous with buying stuff. I think the internet has changed that for me. Whatever I do buy, I know if I don't like it or don't use it like I thought I would I could throw it on eBay or something similar and get most of my money out of it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get that way with certain guns. I was going to go with a more expensive shotgun back in 2006 but instead bought a Remington 1187 which I got a great deal on. I've also dumped nearly 2k with optics into building AR-15's without batting an eye and I have walked into a gun store and dropped 3k in a day before for guns I wanted.

The hardest decision for me was when we bought our current home. The home was built in 2006 and originally cost 517k for the previous owners that lost it due to foreclosure. We got the home for 320k but had to decide what to do with our old house that we were above water on but had an offer for 80k less than we paid for it. Our decision was based on the fact that our new house value would appreciate at a higher rate and the old house was in a neighborhood that was going downhill fast. We took the 80k hit but so far houses like ours are now going for 30-40k more than we paid 6 months ago.

11. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had your fortitude, I get so tired working for the man:(

12. racewayking

Dislikes Received:
    You lost me here, a 400k loan at 3.5% would cost around 260k in interest over 30 years. A 4.5% loan at 400k would be around 480k in interest. Adding an extra payment into your yearly payment table would decrease the loan maturity date by 4 years. Paying every two weeks will speed it up another year or two.

13. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Actually the biggest times I'm nervous is when I do impulse buy. I usually like to research and think about things before buying. Like my benelli I'm pretty sure I couldve gotten it 100 cheaper had I better timing. But oh well.

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At one point in my life I just bought stuff on impulse. Most of it was expensive and I ended up losing money from selling it or by having it lay around the house. Now I usually wait a week or two to see if I still want/need that item.

As I get older I'm becoming better with spending. The first place my money goes is payments and savings, then the rest I can spend on whatever I want. Once I started saving, it became enjoyable to see it build up and feels good knowing I'm further ahead than most.

15. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I do, I also feel guilty for weeks afterwards.

16. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get nervous just spending 50 bucks on new arrows