2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whatchoo mean? I'm an introvert: D

2. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its a little under a thousand in gas round trip figured at 15mpg at 4 bucks a gallon (high estimate).....Air line tickets were 400 round trip but because of the size of the bags and bow cases they wanted almost 400 one way per person for just baggage fees

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

3. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow didnt know they charged that much for baggage. Guess if you have to take an elk back would be easier drive

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

4. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah...i have no idea what it'd be to ship meat...was gonna look into that but haven't yet....don't want to jinx us

5. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Just playing Tony :)

6. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey lads and lass, sorry for the MIA status. I have been busy renovating a 8,200 square foot building (a complete interior remodel) and only had two months to get it done-a five man crew and I to do all the work. I passed all my final inspections today. Life will hopefully return to normal (working 10/7 for two months sucked). I'm excited to see all the interest! This should be a good time for all involved. My tags have been applied for, the Aussies are on board, and Mr Bailey is busy trying to get a few more tommies in the act. Hopefully, I can talk a few South Africans into the mix when I'm there in May. Kodiak Archer from Alaska is good to go. Tony, maybe we can team you up with Rex Kenny. He'll be coming from NY too.

We bring a hope of bottled water and also fill 55 gal. plastic barrel with creek water. The creek water is boiled and purified....

7. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ill be coming across via St Louis so if anyone between there and elk camp needs a ride i got a spot open in the SUV. Not as cool as a tactical prius though!

8. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear Rob & Rex are back too...and always enjoy the international flare!

9. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    This is just my opinion - but if I were driving like you are - no way would I ship my meat home...these would be the two options I'd consider:
    1)if you take an elk earlier in week, find local locker that will freeze/store for you and then pack in coolers for ride home
    2)if you get one the last couple days, place meat in contractor trash bags, submerge in ice/water cooler and keep icing for ride home

We have done #2 twice and worked fine. Last year I shot my bull on a Tues night, had it in cooler by 10:30pm, and got home Friday morning. I began cutting & wrapping meat but got so tired from driving thru the night I only got about 2/3 way thru meat. The rest waited until Saturday morning - still no issues or lost meat (although I will admit to getting a little nervous, but a good cooler and ice had the meat near freezing). I've had nothing but compliments every time I share it with others.
    3.5 to 4 days would probably be my max for keeping on ice. In a perfect world, I'd pull out of cooler at night in camp to air dry out some more, then put in cooler again during day...but we had good rain each of those nights in camp.

Again...just one opinion, but I've enjoyed this elk meat so much, I could not trust it to an airline or shipping company...but I do understand that is the only option in some cases - and may have to go that route one day.

10. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    We shot six deer in Texas last Christmas for a ranch wanting to cull some does. We packed them in coolers with ice, drove to Oklahoma had Christmas do two days then came home and cut up the meat for three days. Kept in coolers frozen never had any problems

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's an offer. If you shoot an elk and can't haul the meat back home without logistical acrobatics.... I will take the meat back to Utah and take care if it for you. Any time you would like an elk steak*, just drop in to Central Utah.

I'm helpful like that. :)

*while supplies last.

12. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gee's that was one hell of a catch up, last time I looked there was only 3 pages of posts, this years Elk Camp looks to be the biggest yet. I've attended this camp twice before and each time a different experience(2008 & 2010), been on the Elk both times and helped to pack out one Bull Elk, skinned 2x Mule deer and had a kick A$$ time on both occasions. Will is the best host and goes out of his way to make it the best Elk Camp experience EVER....
    I've stood side by side with Will, while a cow elk stared us down at 8yds and the Bull barked at us from 30yds, I've had an awesome Mule Deer walk 18yds broadside(no shot, no tag) and did not make the dead line this time...... DOH!!
    Anyhoo, I'll be representing the Brits this year, this will be my 4th attempt for an Elk and am really hungry for that shot..... really looking forward to meeting everybody, I'll be getting there on the Friday with Will. Apologies in advance for my sense of humour and stupidity :)

13. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    We will most likely cooler it up....counting chickens at this point anyway....how big of a cooler or coolers should we bring for the just in case

Christine youre generosity is over whelming....:p

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of truck you have, Bro?

15. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    Supercrew f150....roomy comfortable ride for cross country trips:D

uploadfromtaptalk1396569671143.jpg

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!

17. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    If they are deboned and possibly trimmed to fit one elk would take probably two casket coolers or four regular coolers. I'll have extras i'll bring and be glad to send you home with if you need more. We are putting a deep freeze in the back of my pickup. Can't wait to get to camp its going to be a good time.

18. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My guide season finishes up that week. I think i can be there by the 22nd maybe. Cant wait to see ya'll!

19. CowboyColby

Dislikes Received:
    Nice sounds good

20. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    I filled up a 150qt and 70qt cooler last year...and wouldn't want to go with any less space. Of course, size of animal matters also.
    I do know that I brought home more meat than I would have imagined...just ate swiss elk steak last night.
    I always figure, if my two coolers can't handle it...luckily most hunters are as friendly as Christine in offering to help you pack some meat in their coolers:)
    Also - 20 miles either direction are stores you could buy additional coolers. One of my extra coolers I just use as a tote for dry goods or even clothes/gear. If you need it, just dump that stuff in a trash bag...
    It's sure a problem I hope everyone has!