Shooting without a peep

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grnhd, Feb 13, 2014.

1. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you shoot without a peep?
    I've seen a few hunting shows and the guy at my local shop shoots with out a peep. I think I saw Tom Miranda hunting without a peep. The guy at the shop uses a kisser button but I don't remember seeing Tom with one. Seems like it would be great for low light shooting but I might have problems being consistent shot to shot. I just wondering how many have tried it and what your thoughts are.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't hunt without one, it gives you another reference point for better accuracy. jmo

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never used a peep but I just put one on because I found if I wasn't focusing I wasn't looking down the string at the sight the same way every time. I have always used a kisser but now I am using both and I hope it makes a difference.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will. ^

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started shooting using one and many years ago I got the bright idea to take it off one year. For a little while I didn't seem to notice much of a change but after a while the consistency of each shot was off and so was my arrow. Went back and will never go without a peep now.

6. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting archery since 1970. Did some competition for 10 years. Then the eyes started to go. I have tried everything from the eradicator, hindsite, iq bowsite etc. Then found the perry's no peep. To me it is easier and more accurate than lining up the peep with the scope aperture. Much quicker target acquisition and can shoot 20 minutes later in the early evening.] deer_20yd (1).jpg

Attached Files:

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Tom uses the hind sight. I like the peep. I would be uncertain without it. Just started with a peep and figure.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. 1jody256

1jody256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a hindsite for a couple years,but I am left eye domiant and shoot right handed,so a peep sight is useless.

9. PaBone

PaBone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think using a peep and sight housing to match your peep aperture is going to be your most accurate. I like 1/4 peep and 2 inch sight for hunting and 3/16 or 5/32 peep with 1 5/8 sight housing for indoors. I also still use a kisser and shot alot of years with no peep. I think just using a kisser and practice to become repeatable you can be a accurate shooter.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't use a peep sight for 6-7 years at one point. Not using a peep helped me get up on target faster in tighter areas, however, I noticed that if I didn't practice more than most bowhunters, my shot accuracy suffered. Shooting without a peep creates a need for some serious muscle memory when trying to remain accurate. Shooting with a peep that is correctly aligned allows the user to just "get back on the bike" and shoot accurately, even if they haven't practiced that much.

This year I moved back to a peep sight and my accuracy is much better out to 30 yds and longer. I took off my my kisser button and now just use my nose as another anchor point. It has worked well and even when I wear a facemask I don't have to worry about anchoring the kisser button.

11. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use a smaller peep for indoors because it was easier to see the flaws when lined up on the scope. Think about this. a
    .019 dot right next to a .019 dot is much tighter tolerance than a peep around a scope housing. If the dots separate at all the shooter will miss. It is much easier to focus on the two dots for a twenty yard shot than focusing on the sight ring and the dot simultaneously. Look at the picture and try to keep your focus on the sight ring and the twenty yard pin at the same time. Then look at the 20 yard pin while focusing on the alignment pin. deer_20yd (1).jpg
    Hopefully I am explaining this to make sense.

12. InBuckHunter

InBuckHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The guy at the shop where I bought my bow set it up with a kisser button.
    I shot it a few times at the shops inside range, then took it back to the set up guy & told him to put on the peep like I wanted to start with. After putting on the peep my shot patterns were half the size they were before without it. He wanted to charge me extra but I told him he should have set it up the way I wanted to start with.
    But after hunting in low light conditions I like having both kisser & peep on my string.

13. Ferahgo

Ferahgo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only when I go traditional.

14. Turkeyslayer

Turkeyslayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot better now then when I had a peep on. I don't use a kisser, you get used to it.

15. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might have to try this

16. Perrys No Peep

Perrys No Peep Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Give me a call any time Mckaax!

17. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shattered a couple of arrows,end of story.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a hind sight. Love it.

I'm going to put a Black Gold Ascent on one of my bows this Spring, it will be interesting to see if I can still use the Hind Sight cross hairs with the new sight.