Hunting on small acreage

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Michael Moore, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Michael Moore

Michael Moore Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own a 5.5 acre piece of pasture land in Northeast Alabama. It is on a dirt road outside of city limits. It is a cow pasture but it is very grown up. There are 5 white oak trees that shed acorns. There is a persimmon tree and a natural spring that runs across the back of the land. There are houses on 3 sides but the houses are probably 200 yards away and are on similar 5 acres pastures with cows and horses. There is a lot of forest land to the north and south. I have seen dozens of dear there. There are two distinct deer trails criss-crossing the property. When I was a kid, a 6 point buck tried to kill our cat during rut. The only trees for a treestand are very large oak trees. I am thinking about planting a 100' green plot close to the deer trails. My question is would you hunt this land? I am a very knew bow hunter, and I will be using a bow all season. Any suggestions for treestands and trimming these oaks for a clear shot?
    20140326_134804.jpg 20140326_134820.jpg 20140326_134832.jpg 20140326_134845.jpg 20140326_134918.jpg 20140326_134941.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. Mr Buffalo

Mr Buffalo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm bow only as well and hunt a piece that is 30 acres or less in Newnan GA. I killed a small spike last year on my piece of land in Plainville GA on less than 6. I believe if there is cover there is food near by then get between in it. Find the funnel point and hunt it only when the wind is in your favor. I would scout it now. Put out Big and J and set cameras. From April till July you will know if you have bucks in the area. I hunt a funnel point on 500 acres not far from my 6. The guy doesn't want me hunting does and Im the only hunter on the property. All these deer came from the same stand since 2011.

IMG_0525.jpg

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you set up in the Pine to the left and rear of the big oak in the third pic? If the wind is usually in your favor there, I'd plant a plot between that pine and the Oak and hunt the wind. I'd also suggest a ground blind set out on the opposite side of the oak where you were standing when the pic was taken for those off wind days.