Encroaching on Somebody's Turf

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by airenlow, Mar 20, 2014.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need to find out more details about the other guy. I got access to a farm last year but was sketched out at first when the landowner told me that 5 other guys hunted it. Then down the road I was informed that they only hunt it 1 week a year and they all hunt it together in the same week. So I'll just look at what week they're there and just plan my hunts accordingly.

You may be able to arrange the same situation.

With land getting increasingly harder to access these days, I'd never pass on ground, even if it is already being hunted. Nothing says you have to hunt it a lot, or at all even, but you can always get out there, hang a stand or two, and at least establish your turf so that you have the option to hunt it in the future should you need to.

2. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get a camera and offer to film him or hunt with him in a two man set up. That way you may get to know him better and you guys can hunt together.....just a though. You don't know until you talk with him.

3. Ravenhunter

Ravenhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt multiple properties with other guys. Good rule is first one there gets to hunt. I see a truck I go elsewhere and they do the same. Saves any complaining or *****ing. More importantly it keeps land owners happy. Don't want to hear that no one can hunt.

Go Black Hawks

4. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So then it becomes a competition to see who can get there earliest?

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't pass until you at least talk with the other guy who has permission too. You might end up with a great hunting partner or find out he's a prick. Either way you shouldn't just pass on it without at least seeing what it could turn into.

6. Ravenhunter

Ravenhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It can become a competition to see who gets there first. Most guys hunt weekends and I hunt week days so I've never had a problem. The only major issue I had was some jackoff sitting my stand.

Go Black Hawks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  7. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I would not hunt on that small property since someone is already established there.
    I would however contact that hunter and leave him my coordinates in case he decides to stop hunting... just never know... then you'd be first in line...

8. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is one of the best ideas yet. Ya never know, you might make a new friend. But I'd definitely have a plan B.

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We hunt a farm with almost 2 dozen guys, but only half of them bowhunt, and of them only 3 of us really spend EVERY weekend in a tree somewhere, so it may sound like a lot of people but the pressure is limited to the rut and gun season.

We use Google Calendar, we all use the same password, and first one to sign up for a stand gets it. This way everyone knows where everyone else will be, and can go somewhere else.

10. Ravenhunter

Ravenhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brilliant. If more guys did this there were a lot less issues in the woods.

Go Black Hawks

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt some parcels that are small, by small I mean 20 acre parcels with maybe 6 acres of trees. 16 acres of trees is a pretty good sized spot compared to some that I hunt. There is plenty of room for one other guy. You have the right attitude and I am sure you can work it out with the other guy. Not everybody would dislike your company and some might welcome it and like being able to share the chores.

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All these guys saying pass on it must have plenty of places to hunt! No way I'd pass on any spot, but you definitely need to work with the other guy so you don't ruin each others hunts. Depending on the shape of the parcel and the topography it is totally possible to hunt two guys and not affect each other. Or maybe he only hunts weekends, or mornings, or maybe he only hunts it a couple times a season, and you could avoid each other altogether. He may not be happy about another guy getting permission, that's too bad for him!

13. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would go back to land owner and fine out it some one else has permission to be on that property. If he does then I would PASS. He was there first and lets face it, when it comes two hunting, no one wants to share when they were there first. I wouldn't.

14. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even if I pass, I had planned on introducing myself to the other hunter and letting him know what was going on. I will just feel out the conversation and see if he seems open to sharing the lot.

We could hunt opposite ends of the property and be 350 yards apart, with a couple decent size hills between us. My other hunting spots are 5 and 13 acres, so I'm used to confined spaces.

15. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i can tell you right now that if i had soneone try and get permission to hunt on the 19 on hunt and the owner say ok. i would br pretty short with the guy especially if ive been hunting it for years and passing bucks all the time. i personally would be pretty pissed at you. i have a 40 that my dad and i have been hunting for 15 yrs by are self then this year a guy kinda went behind our back and got permission by saying we said it was ok and i had a buck i was watchin all summer and 3 days into yhe season this guy goes into his bedding area and blew him out. i had some not nice words for him.

16. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's understandable that you would get angry, but since you don't own the property and the landowner gave permission to someone else, there isn't anything you can do. Make peace with the guy or leave.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, I think I would pass on it. Unless he wanted to work with you and you all could hunt together. That might work out well.

18. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True, but if I wouldn't be happy about someone encroaching my spot, why would I do it to someone else? I've passed many offers like this. I think it's just a scumbaggy thing to do.
    Now, if the guy hardly hunts it or truly doesn't mind, then go for it.

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And I wouldn't either but not everyone is the same. I would talk with the landowner and try to get sole access but other than that there isn't anything else you can do.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go talk to the guy! He may be looking for a partner. He may have 20 more places he hunts. It may even open up more places for you. As we get older it gets a little tougher to make new friends. You both share a common interest is a huge bonus right there! Let him know you have permission but rather then tell him you are going to hunt it ask him as if he was the land owner! It's all about how you present it to him. And in the end if he is a d-bag you won't want to hunt there anyway! You will never know if you don't go talk to him!