How long did you bowhunt before you harvested your first deer?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bone Head Hunter, Mar 14, 2014.

1. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    3rd season, still nothin

2. chief1

chief1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I took my first deer this past season on the second day of the season. This is my second year bow hunting. I had buck fever 2012 season. I seen so many deer that year but was focused on one buck. I was determined he was going to be my first. But come second day of the season (last season) I decided to take a doe just to go ahead and get the jitters out of shooting my first deer.

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got My first real compound bow at age 11 but was required to shoot for a year before I was aloud to go hunting. Next season I turned 12 and shot a doe from a tree stand in the middle of that season. I will always remember that hunt, that happen 21 seasons ago and no other deer will compare.

4. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first opening day I shot a doe, turkey and a squirrel the first evening. Three doe and a buck total that first season. I got the itchy trigger finger out of my system the first year and am content with trying to get one buck and one doe a year now. Thats about all I need for a year for myself.

5. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2nd season for me. Button buck I thought was a doe.

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    where I use to hunt when I was young we didnt shoot does and of corse they would come in to range but took me 4 years last day last evening of bow season to shoot a buck. watched him go down and everything. Thought it was a little basket 6 and then i got up to it and it was a 10pt about the size of a rack you see on a smaller 2 1/2 year old. Buck would of been a heck of a stud but I was jacked to have my first bow deer

7. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    2.5 hours. I was 10 years old and on my first ever hunt. My dad dropped me off at a natural ground blind, 12 yards from a water hole, and said he would be back at dark. With about 5 mins of shooting light left, a buck and a doe came in for a drink. The doe was super spooky, so I rushed a quartering-toward shot on the buck. I hit him in front of the shoulder and caught one lung. The arrow stayed in him and punctured the other lung as he ran off (there were actually 2 exit holes). My dad showed up 15 minutes later to find me shaking and stuttering like that little girl from the Facebook buck fever video. We found this guy 60 yards away...

[​IMG]

8. 2browndogs

2browndogs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first bow deer during my second Archery season....nice 6pt buck, boy was that a fun experience..don't think I'll ever forget that "thwack" sound....hit him broadside at 23 yards....pass through...figured I double lunged him...he only went about 20 yards and piled up, I heard him crash but did not see it....decided to back out and give it an hour and half...came back and when i got near I heard a deer blow and run off....thought to myself...man if that's the deer i hit I gotta rethink bow hunting.....it was a different deer.....my guy was stone dead right where I figured....what a great experience!!!

Shawn

9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started bowhunting in 1987. Never took a deer. Stopped hunting around 1993 got married, had 3 daughters and last year a buddy invited me to his land here in NY. Took 3 deer this year, small 3 point(my first ever with a bow, and 2 does). I am absolutley hooked on bowhunting again and will never ever give it up again. The picture of me on left is my first deer ever with the bow. My 3 point. To me he`s a giant!! Sorry for the long story.GROMMEL

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed my first Archery deer in Sept. 1994. I missed the first two i shot at...lol. It was about my 6th trip out with my bow I think.

11. Relic

Relic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I killed two the first time I ever hunted with a bow. A buck and a doe. I was 10 years old..so that would of been 1992 I think..maybe 91. I had started deer hunting the year before with a shotgun and killed a couple of does with my dad. I begged him to let me go by myself with a bow...we had a big corn field across the road from my house that I seen a couple of deer hanging around in while I was waiting on the school bus. I talked my dad into letting me stay home from school...when he agreed I ran across the road to scout out a place to hunt from the next day. In the middle of that field there was a small island that had an old rusted car in it..the car had a tree growing through the trunk...probably been there since the 50s or 60s. I took some camo netting and a bucket with me and made that car a blind by putting the camo netting around the back and side windows...the glassless windshield was facing the field so that was my shoot window. The next morning I got out there before day light and waited...just after shooting hour started 3 does came out in the field and eventually made there way into shooting range...I brought my bow up..which was a Bear kodiak...I soon realized that I didn't have enough room in that blind to pull my bow back and I ended up hitting the top of the cab with my bow making a resounding "BOOONG"..needless to say, the deer heard it and took off. I climbed out the car and just sat on the bucket up against it...about an hour later what I thought to be two does came in behind me and walked right by the blind. All I could see was brown out the corner of my eye at maybe 5 yards...when the one deer got in front of me I took the shot at about 10 yards and dropped her..It was a horrible shot...hit her in the neck. I nocked another arrow and put one in the boiler room...the other deer she was with took off. I waited until she wasn't moving any more and walked over to her...when I got to her I just happen to look over and seen the deer that she was with came back and about 20 yards away just standing there...turned out to be a buck. He started stomping and began to turn away and I put one right behind his shoulder...he ran out into the corn field about 75-100 yards and fell over. After that I figured this bow hunting stuff was pretty easy...but after those two, it was another 4-5 years before I got another deer with a bow.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it took me 3 or 4 years of bowhunting before I got my first with a bow but I gun hunted numerous years before picking up a bow.

13. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I got my first deer with a bow in my 4th year of trying. I started when I was 14. I shot a couple with a gun in during that time. I only drew back on 2 in that 4 year period but got busted by both of them.

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As far as white-tailed deer go... I tried some as a young man with no clue and no success. Once I got a bow set up properly... and hog hunted for a couple years... overseas. When I returned stateside, I killed a 7 point on my second trip... maybe 4 hours of total hunting. Of course it hasn't been that easy since.

15. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up my first bow bout the middle of September last year. Our archery season opened oct. 15. First hunt I didn't see anything. 2nd I chose to pass on a spike. 3rd I connected with a nice 3 pt. I was hooked from there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my bow 7 years ago, and shot my first archery deer 3 days later. It was an 86" 7 point

17. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bought my first bow in '69... snuck upon and shot a 6-point laying in his bed that same year. Then it was about 10 years before I got another one. Why? Well... It HAD to be a buck, quartering-away, at 20-yds or less (OCD folks OCD - it can consume you).

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    took me 3 seasons of archery before I got my first. started bowhunting when I was 12 on public land.

19. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3rd season for me. Although not sure the first season can count lol. I was 12 and knew nothing about bowhunting. My grandfather was a rifle hunter and would just go out in jeans and a jacket with an orange vest and hat. I knew I didnt need the orange but didnt know I could wear camo lol. Sounds dumb and funny now, but I was clueless lol. And had to have an adult with me, so had my stepdad who didnt hunt at the time follow me around also wearing jeans and his jacket. Kept trying to stalk deer in bean fields haha. But finally a buddy took me under his wing and taught me how to do it all.

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are going to hate me but I got my first ever archery deer, 10 minutes after my first ever bowhunt started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk