Shooting and Eye Glasses

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ARCHER_CHI_RHO, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seems I've come to the crossroads in life when my youthful, eagle vision has decided to deteriorate no matter how many carrots I eat...so...since my eyes no likey da contacts, what are ways I can shoot well/hunt well with glasses?

Right now, it seems to get in the way when I shoot.

I thought about wearing the goggles version, like my shooting glasses coupled with my gas mask inserts, but they tend to fog up.

What are my avenues of approach?

Thanks in advance.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm able to wear both my contacts and my glasses. But my glasses are close to my face. Find a pair that fits comfortably and try and shoot with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not able to wear my glasses when I shoot either. I have tried a rectifier peep and that did seem to help. Might want to give that a try.

4. vitalzone

vitalzone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same problem and went to contacts for hunting. I just make sure I carry my reading glasses with me for close work I might need to do while hunting. There are also products out there that you can treat your glasses with that will keep them from fogging up. You have to reapply every few days. I know what you are talking about with your glasses. I wear mine when I shoot indoors and too have to make sure they are close to my face when shooting or I get two sight pictures.

Good luck,

5. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys have to long of a draw length setup ? I wear glasses and contacts and dont have any issues with shooting and wearing glasses. Just shot the 3-D shoot last friday with my new hoyt for 4 hours and had no problem ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, shoot all the time and have never had a problem with my glasses, in fact, without them, I cant see my sight pins in low light conditions,...gettin old sucks,..lol

7. Mustang51js

Mustang51js Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had glasses all my life and always shot with no issues, the fogging is a pain but something I'm used to dealing with. What kind of release you use, I have a peep sight and kisser with trigger release and string never gets in way.

8. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    i think its my glasses. it sits far from my face.

my draw length is sitting perfect at 27 inches. i'm less on speed as i am on smooth and quiet.

i'm gonna try and get fitted for better glasses that fit my face.

9. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    oh...and i hate getting old...grrr lol

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have glasses that I hate. They have small lenses and I see frame/lenses edge all the way around my peripheral vision. I've had them adjusted closer to my face and it works great. Before I had them adjusted, the nose pads were to far out and that's all I could see. I do wear contacts and just to keep from having any issues I do not normally wear my glasses often when I shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot my compound with a release I have no problem with my glasses. When I shoot my recurves using fingers the glasses do get in the way of my anchor. I'm learning to adjust and deal with it. FOGGING SUCKS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear my contacts 99% of the time...but wearing my glasses don't bother me either. Just don't like them.

13. colfirth

colfirth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not comfortable in contact lens so I prefer wearing glasses . And moreover , I am fond of wearing different types of glasses and usually shop online for quality glasses .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. JohnLorentzen

JohnLorentzen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Even I am not comfortable with contact lenses I prefer wearing sunglasses.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glasses cost me a beautiful buck a several years ago....at least that's what I believe to have happened.

I'm with you on that... When I look through my Meta peep and to my pins I see in the middle of the lenses, catching all the distortion.... Just get used to contacts when bow hunting... I did...you can too...

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the answer. Todd goggles.

17. X_Sparkie

X_Sparkie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For some of us "older" hunters contacts are out, (eye's to dry) find a good (older)eye doctor that loves to Archery hunt. He had me bring bow in and at full draw measured me for glasses, went with progressive lens's, Pins and target now clear.

18. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some tips from somebody who spent 4 years making eyeglasses.

Get the smallest bridge you can, frames will have a set of numbers on them (51 - 18). the first number is the greatest width of a lens, the second is the width of the bridge. the wider the bridge the further apart the lenses are and the more likely the inside frame will interfere with your shot picture.

Bifocal & Progressive - If you don't read a lot while hunting, you don't need a bifocal, so get a pair of single vision glasses. If you don't want the extra cost to have a second pair of glasses, tell your eye doctor to lower the bifocal 2mm when the glasses are being made. Doctors typically try to place the bifocal high so you don't have to look down as much when reading, but doing so can tend to put the bifocal in a position to interfere if you need look lower but still at distance.

fogging - exhale out your mouth like you are blowing out candles (only not as hard). If you are wearing a facemask, find one with openings for you nose and mouth or cut openings yourself.