? for computer guys

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Big John, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not puter savvay- I've been reading that windows will no longer update windows xp. I have windows xp pro. Is that in the same boat ? What should I do?

2. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. Time to update your OS. If you stay with Windows, I'd go to Windows 7. The reason is Windows 8 will be a huge change from what you are currently using.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Upgrade:D

Yes, Windows XP Pro is included in that lot. You can still run it after they officially stop offering support. Security patches, updates, etc., just won't be released from here on out. Not only that, but software (specifically drivers that run the devices in and plugged into your computer) will slowly cease to work on the older outdated software (I'm talking if you purchase new software or devices, not your existing software and devices).

It's the natural progression of things in the software world. That's why you don't see "Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, ME, etc." on the minimal requirements list of new hardware/software today. It's just no longer supported.

Both Windows 7 and 8 (arguable) are solid upgrades. 7 will feel more "natural" to you coming from XP, but 8 has the advantage of the most up to date features, security, support, etc.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I miss Windows '95.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Classic. My first OS I used as a kid. XP was my favorite. Windows 7 grew on me, and I haven't jumped into 8 enough to really care one way or another.

7. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I miss MS-DOS and Windows 3.1

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As others have said, getting out of XP and into something new is your best option at this point. XP is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

My personal recommendation is Windows 8.1 over 7 simply because you're getting the newest OS which will provide you the most longevity. Why buy something that's already out of date?

For the folks who are anti-Windows 8 because they don't like the "Tiles" on the home screen there's a very simple cure for that. I run Windows 8.1 on my laptop with Stardock's "Start 8" start menu. Link here - Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back.

That adds back in the "Start" menu we're so used to, and was a major complaint of users everywhere. You can then configure your Windows 8 PC to use "Desktop" mode which looks exactly like what you'd see on Windows 7 and very similar to what you're used to on XP. This is where I started because I was familiar with it. I've slowly learned my way around the "Start" screen which is the one with all of the tiles, and found it quite handy.

In short, XP is dead and Windows 8 is the future. Embrace it or buy yourself some skinny jeans, a scarf and a Macbook Pro.

9. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys... Just got off the phone with my puter guy, he says I have windows 7 pro, not xp pro, so I should be good to go.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still running XP Pro on my work computer. I'm supposed to get a new desktop at some point this year. Hopefully that will be a better computer than this one.

11. stuie88

stuie88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is anyone considering running one of the Linux distributions on their ex-Xp machine? The system requirements for something like ubuntu mean that (most of) those computers could probably become quick again plus those OS's are free. Just a thought

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

12. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you get what you pay for, however...

if it was something for my kids to use on the internet, I'd probably consider it. If they futzed it up it is easy enough to reload.

I couldn't get by with it for work because I have too many tools that I use on a daily basis that require windows.

back to the original topic, if you are still using a windows XP era PC, you need (security wise) and will benefit greatly (speed & performance wise) from springing for a new PC.

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll throw my recommendation out there. Buy Windows 8.1 and use your downgrade rights and install Windows 7. :) Ubuntu and other Linux distros are viable. But only if you like dorking with PCs and have more time then money. :) Personaly I just want the thing to work without a lot of effort or time.

14. stuie88

stuie88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I only asked because many of the machines that run XP would be pretty quick with ,say, ubuntu, and it's a free alternative to upgrading a PC that not everyone can afford to do.
    I wasn't meaning to hijack or derail, sorry if I did, just that at work people who just use a computer for emails and web browsing are asking the same question and none of them have ever heard of the free OSs that are available and would (nearly all anyway) run on older machines quickly.
    Sorry again

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

15. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No apology necessary. The various flavors of Linux are viable options, although not for most end users. It'll be freaky enough moving from xp to win 8. If the OP considers himself a computer hobbyist and knows how to download an ISO image and burn a CD from it, he might be able to give it a try at least.