North Dakota Forum

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by NoDakHunter92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. NoDakHunter92

NoDakHunter92 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Noticed that there isn't a ND thread anywhere and just wanna see if there are any ND bowhunters on here, looking to get a feel for the area for bowhunting. All I have done growing up here is gun season, which right now is pretty much impossible to draw anything. So I was going to try start bowhunting the region instead of hoping to get a deer in a two week period IF I even get tag. Since bow season is AUG-JAN it gives me more time with work and such.
    Any tips for what gear to wear when it dips into the negatives, and good places to start would be awesome! My "home base" is in Minot, so with my school/work schedule id love to stay in the upper souris region north to the Canada border.

Thanks Again!
    -Darick

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to do a lot of hunting in Mohall. =)

When I didn't have time or the roads were bad, I'd be at Lake Darling. (I lived on base, so it was easier)

3. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help out with info in the Minot area. I hunt around Devils Lake. I used to hunt the Rugby area. You just have to do some legwork and check on some farmers to ask permission. Many are willing to let a bowhunter in.

BTW, I went to the GnF advisory meeting on deer hunting a few weeks ago. They are looking for input from hunters on possible changes to licensing in ND with the deer population so low. One option mentioned was a single deer season where you get one tag only. If you choose to hunt with a bow you give up the chance at a rifle or muzzle loader tag. Even with the low number of tags available last year, there was still a chance to get tags for all three options. With only a single tag there would be more hunters getting a tag, even though it was only one. I'd think it would be too late to change this season but could affect 2015.

Welcome to the site by the way. logo.JPG GO SIOUX!!!

4. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    As far as cold weather gear goes, I hunt in a ground blind once it gets too cold to sit in a tree. That cuts the wind and I stay much warmer. I have even used s small heater if it is real cold. Before I quit the tree stand I wear some good insulated bibs and parka over layers. If the wind isn't blowing I can stand it to 0* at least. Better yet, get your deer before it gets that cold. September and October are good hunting in my book. Once there's ice on the lake I switch to fishing.

5. NoDakHunter92

NoDakHunter92 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the imput!

For me its all about the scouting and leg work before the hunting which makes it so much better!
    Also been a die hard bison since i was little b/c my dad is from fargo! Hope the rivalry comes back on the field and not just a talking rivalry!

6. The Old Man

Dislikes Received:
    That rivalry is historic. I remember going to those games back in my college days. Supposed to play again in 2015 aren't they?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a bison currently but i am looking for bow hunting areas closer to fargo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. NoDakHunter92

NoDakHunter92 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is yeah!

9. MTguy

MTguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just reviving an old thread. I picked up archery again last year and hunted out in MT for elk last year. Didn't buy a MT tag this year so I'm all in on hunting whitetails this year. I've been out three times and seen deer every time. I had a buck close enough to shoot this morning but he didn't stop and I wasn't going to risk it on a deer moving that fast. I'll be back at it again likely this weekend. Was definitely cooler this morning. Thinking about setting up a blind in a couple of locations where I couldn't find decent trees but have a lot of activity around them. I'll stay warmer and probably have more opportunities.

I also drew a whitetail buck rifle tag this year but I'm hoping to fill that tag with a bow also. So far no land available in the unit I drew for rifle hunting but I did get access to some land to bow hunt in the unit. I better double check to make sure that they are o.k. with hunting the area with a bow during rifle season. I asked through a relative so I didn't get to ask more questions and get clarifications.

Anyways, hopefully some other NoDaks will chime in here. I'm in the Bismarck area and the bucks I've seen are still in full velvet. No rutting activity so far obviously.

10. R22

R22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting for the first time this year. North central ND.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. MTguy

MTguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I've already had my first miss....

12. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen some nice bucks killed so far this year, my good friend and neighbor go the number one on both our hitlists 2 nights ago and he went 177". Now I just have to get #2 on a pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You nodak guys, don't forget about spot n stalk!!
    I,ve walked up on quite a few big bucks while coyote hunting:)

14. MTguy

MTguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was considering a stalk in the a.m. with the rain we're getting. With all the vegetation where I hunt I don't really think I can be doing any spotting.

15. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set up a decoy in some tall grass and sit behind it on your knees with some estrous scent on your boots the last week of October to the first weekend of November... prepare for action it’s works great and you get s good heart rate going lol!

16. Jeana

Jeana Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ That's hardcore. I'd prefer sitting in an enclosed stand with a heater haha. Brief story about me: I picked up bow hunting a few years back while living out west of Minot. After some failed attempts, and eventually moving back home - I'm picking it up again since it is damn near impossible to pull a rifle tag. Now, I hunt about 40 mins west of Fargo. I'm super determined to shoot a deer this season..buck or doe doesn't matter. Since I'm still such a newbie, if anyone has some helpful tips I'd greatly appreciate it!! Thank you :)

17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Jenna, send me a telephone number in a private message.
    May be able to help you out.

18. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Seen quite a few real dandies taken this year!

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  19. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Fargo huh... I’m about an hour and a half north of there

20. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files: