This offseason Im working on...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by chief1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chief1

chief1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This offseason I'm focusing on the mechanics of my shot from start to finish. I've been shooting a bow for three years now. Pretty much taught myself by researching and shooting in the backyard every chance I get. I've recently started getting some pointers from my local archery shop as I go in and get stuff. I just finished my second year of bow hunting. There were times this year where I did not feel real comfortable as pulled back my bow in the stand this year. I want that feel good consistency every time I pull back where its natural and all I have to do is focus on my target. I have recently been walking myself through every step and saying it in my head as I'm going through the process of shooting my bow.
    1. thumb facing target/fingers tucked in (not gripping my bow)
    2. push bow out / pull back knocked arrow
    3. anchor for me knuckle behind ear and kisser button at corner of mouth.
    4. look through peep see target
    5. pull trigger finger over and rest on release
    6. shot placement looking through to target seeing sight pin on selected area
    7. release

Sometimes I get pretty good groupings and sometimes I get two grouped the other two are up or back. I Shoot from 20-30 yards each set of four arrows. But I do move to different yardages as I'm trying to train my eye to see yardage clearly. so I shoot for arrows retrieve them and then move to a different spot in the back yard.

This is what my routine is right now. 4-7 is my focus area seems to be a bit rushed at times. I need help and any insight is much appreciated. Feel free to add steps or delete steps. I want to become a more consistent shooter.
    thank you

2. chief1

chief1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a PSE stinger 3g 2012 model.
    draw weight is 55 lbs
    draw length 28.5
    NAP Apache fall away rest
    Tru Glow sight 5 pin
    Easton Carbon aftermath arrows

3. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you can draw your bow without raising it upwards. I mean, hold your bow idle at a comfortable height as if you were on stand and a deer was approaching. Picture the deer a few steps from your shooting lane, now extend into the shooting position at full draw with as little movement as possible! If you need to raise your bow arm above it's natural shooting position, then reduce your draw weight. If you have this down, focus on form, like you said. Now don't punch the release trigger. Squeeze it like a rifle trigger while focusing on your point of impact on the target. Either that, or learn to release using back tension. Either way, you'll improve form.

4. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats good to practice, but you need to get to the place where you don't even have any numbered items to remember. Its just a single thought-process of every action you need to take, as well as every move the deer could take (and the reaction you will need if he does it), as well as every twig that could be in your line of shot, all going through your brain at the same time without any panic or effort. If you have a checklist, you risk missing something. Its an amazing feeling that first time you go through all the mechnics and realize you did it all without even thinking about it.

As for your list, I don't know what #1 means, and for #2, when I started shooting I was a "push the bow out" kinda guy, eventually you learn a locked elbow NOT pushing out is more effective to draw.

5. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My main goal this offseason is to increase my effective range. I've recently begun focusing much more on shooting with back tension and my groups are steadily improving. Once I get comfortable at 20 yards with this I'm going to continue working my way back. Keep at it and you'll improve. For me back tension has been invaluable.

6. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My main goal is to practice shooting more out of the tree stand so i can get that perfect shot.

7. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good system chief. I like anchoring a knuckle behind my ear as well which works with a bunch of cold weather gear on.

Do you ever line the circular scope of your sight up with the peep circle? Another way to make sure you are shooting the same shot every time.