any advice on buying a new bow and set up

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by hunt&fish, Feb 2, 2014.

1. hunt&fish

hunt&fish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't bow hunted since the early 90's, can I get sum advice on what to get for under a grand? I have been shopping around and have really seen how technology has changed since the days of my old Bear Whitetail. Any advice would be helpfull

2. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the Mission line! Their flagship bow is $600 and that still gives you $400 for some nice accesories!

3. Ridge Reaper

Ridge Reaper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The fun begins. Go to your local pro shop and shoot as many brands as you can. What works for one may not work for you.

4. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with both of the above posts! Just go out and shoot as many as you can in your price range

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech and Mathews are top of the line IMO. Just dont rush your purchase. Shoot some different ones in different price ranges to get a feel for them.

6. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I got my first bow 2 years ago I only shot that bow and one other and the one I got felt the best ! But Now I have shot allot more bows that are on the market and I now realize that the bow I have is not a good fit for me!! Im not near as acurate with it as I am with some other bows in the same price range! Go to a bow shop and shoot every differant bow that is in your Price range ! Seems that every bow fits someone a little differant! And dont just shoot the bow Brand that is the most popular if none of there bows fit you ! Go with what you feel is the best bow for you after you have shot a few !

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is to shop, shoot, purchase quality, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, Go Hunting!!!

I like Mathews Bows.

8. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot many brands and varieties!!!

9. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As all have stated shoot all different brands and styles. Shoot long ATA's short ATA's and shoot different speed ratings. Just don't get caught up in the speed/hunting bow crap. I did and didn't have good results. I ended up with a bow that wasn't very well known at the time but, has made a name two years later. Enjoy the experience!

10. hunt&fish

hunt&fish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys for all the input.

11. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like everybody else has said....go to a local shop and try many different bows and find one that chooses you.....I did and it has been great every since.....I bought my first bow like friday....and it most definitely chose me.

Now I bought a 14 Mathews Monster Chill R ...try a bunch though and you will find that one for you!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

12. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure the bow techs know what they are talking about!!! This is key. Speaking as a total newbie to the compound bow--and a lefty--I can tell you I got ran around quite a lot. I went to a dozen shops, in 4 states, within 100 miles of my house or our parents. No one really had a left handed bow, and the 2 or 3 shops that did, they did not take the time to set it up for me and let me shoot it. After making a ton of calls, I found an archery shop that had left-handed bows in stock. When we got there, we spent HOURS there. They set the bows up and let me shoot them. I tried a Mission Riot and a Flare. Interestingly enough, with both set at 30lbs, I could pull back the Riot and not the Flare (cam design made the difference).

I went into that shop wanting to order a Matthews Jewel ( I despise all the pink on today's ladies bows. I just want CAMO!)... I came out with a Mission Riot (which at first I HATED!) and I was shooting tight, consistent groups before they sent me home. Why? Because the shop owner and his staff were willing to walk me through every question I had, every piece of equipment I needed, the Pro's and Con's of each bow as well as my physical limitations at the time. The Riot is what I needed, the Jewel may or may not have worked for me at this time.

With the Riot, I HATED the way it looked. So one of the techs grabs her bow and says, "Look, I switched out my limbs. What do you think?" I liked hers. So... they switched out my limbs to black and it changed the whole look of the bow! My point, beside that I was a pain in their behind LOL! was that they took their time to be sure I understood everything, I was happy with even the aesthetics of the bow and that I had what I needed to succeed. That all took T-I-M-E! That's what you need to remember when you are down to choosing WHERE you will buy once you decide WHAT to buy. I ended up buying the equipment they recommended and I am pleased beyond measure and LOVE my new Riot!!! I am out there every day practicing and I believe I am shooting so well and enjoying it so much because I was set up properly.

13. TBeamon

TBeamon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a basher of name brands. If you can shoot it comfortably and proficient, then thats the one you get. My brother tried my mathews and didnt like it. I shot his Hoyt, i didnt like it. Its what fits comfortable to you. Same goes with draw weight, and length. Shooting a 70# bow does no good if you cant draw straigt, quiet, and without bending over backwards. A good pro shop will set you up. If it fits like an old wore out pair of boots, or your favorite baseball cap, thats the one you get.
    Just my .02, i could be completely wrong.

14. BuckDynasty

BuckDynasty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone likes different brands. I prefer Hoyt and Mathews myself.

PSE has a great lineup for bows for your price range. I like the new Hoyt Charger for that price too, but you've also got the Bowtech Assassin that's in that price range.

I would just read some reviews on each bow. Ikesoutdoors gives great reviews that are not particular towards any bow. It's great to read the reviews, because a more experienced shooter might pick out a potential problem with a bow that a person that is just starting to shoot might not find. After that, pick your favorites and go shoot em' all.

15. Dodge Buck

Dodge Buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Archery makes amazing bows with package deals for under a grand. My best advice though is to go to a shop tell them what you are wanting to pay and if they are as good as my shop they will help you out.

16. Back in the Pines

Back in the Pines Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Much like you must wield the saber, the saber must wield you.

Let the bow choose you my friend. :)