who or what got you in to bow hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wisBOWhunter, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of my best friends Joel introduced me to bowhunting in 1995.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I actually got myself into it as a 13 yr old. My dad has been a life long hunter, and I grew up hunting and going out in the woods with my dad well before I was legal to hunt, but he was a rifle only hunter. I wanted more time in the woods. Archery was the natural progression. My dad supported me getting started, but it was a lot of slow learning on my own until I discovered forums:D

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A 9 day gun season wasn't enough. My buddy asked if I wanted to tag along one day after school and that was it I was hooked.

4. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started hunting with my dad and grandfather when I was just a kid, maybe 7 or 8. Always with a shotgun or rifle. After a few unfortunate incidents in life my dad stopped hunting altogether and so did I for a time. It wasn't until I moved here that a buddy of mine got me back in the woods at 20 yrs old, I took a doe on the first hunt with him with my BPS 12 gauge and was hooked again. The next year I bought a bow because like Fitz said Sept thru January is a lot of time in the woods. Now my kids are 8 and 9 both have bows and hopefully their love for the woods continues.

5. Canuck3

Canuck3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up gun hunting in Canada, where i was from and at the time bow hunting wasn't that big yet. I moved to the states because of my hockey Career and started dating my now wife. Her dad and brothers were huge into bow hunting and were always wanting me to come up to their cabin. I got a bow and practiced shooting for a year, then the following season I started bow hunting. My parents happen to be in Northern WI with us as we were spending the weekend looking at venues for our wedding. On the Saturday morning we had signed with a place for the wedding so the guys had the afternoon to hunt. My dad doesn' bow hunt but I talked him into coming out and sitting with me. I shot my first doe with a bow with my dad watching, which was very cool. Since that night i've been hooked ever since and each year since i've taken at least one deer with my bow.
    since i've retired from hockey, bow hunting has become my new release and love in my life.

6. arrowjunkie

arrowjunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grew up hunting the same farm my father and Grandfather both got started on. Farm is still in the family 165 acres in western Ohio. shot my first deer out of the exact same stand my dad did 15 years earlier, Reconditioned the "old tree stand" last year and am using the old boards for a plaque for my 2013 mount. Pass it on!

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it Opening Day yet?...

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My dad bringing home this CT public land 8 pointer in 85. I was 9, but knew right then and there what I wanted to do!!!!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Turkeyslayer

Turkeyslayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    same here my uncle got me into it and drove my first deer right past me